Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM

852 posts, read 2,013,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaRapids View Post
I assume you also live in ENPT? The fact that you are supposedly raising your son here and don't seem to care about the state of the town and what is going on in it is quite alarming.. I'd be very concerned if my children were still young.

I've been doing my part, far more than helping with trash. Helping to clean up was a random example.

As far as said bar, yes the situation has deteriorated beyond where it was 6-7yrs ago when it was initially raided and closed.

Maybe you're comfortable with drug sales to teens, prostitution and serving alcohol to minors in East Northport? I'm not. If you don't think those are contributing factors in a towns decline, then I'm not sure what to say.

Thanks for the reply though
You didn't respond to about 90% of what I said.

Nevertheless, your purely anecdotal screed doesn't not amount to evidence of a town's decline. I measure decline in terms of school quality and property value decline. Property values have declined, but have performed better than in most metropolitan areas. The schools are very strong according to every indicator that I've seen.

You, on the other hand, know of a sketchy bar.

I guess you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,737,785 times
Quote:
As far as said bar, yes the situation has deteriorated beyond where it was 6-7yrs ago when it was initially raided and closed.

Maybe you're comfortable with drug sales to teens, prostitution and serving alcohol to minors in East Northport?
I have not heard anything about this. Could you post a reference?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM

214 posts, read 458,053 times
Quote:
I assume you also live in ENPT? The fact that you are supposedly raising your son here and don't seem to care about the state of the town and what is going on in it is quite alarming.. I'd be very concerned if my children were still young.

I've been doing my part, far more than helping with trash. Helping to clean up was a random example.

Maybe you're comfortable with drug sales to teens, prostitution and serving alcohol to minors in East Northport? I'm not. If you don't think those are contributing factors in a towns decline, then I'm not sure what to say.

Thanks for the reply though
So, now we have identified an establishment that is inappropriate (to put it mildly). Besides calling the cops on a nightly basis, who else can be contacted (specifics please)? What additional steps can be implemented? There are many families in the area with young children that walk by that location daily. What is done when homeless are found living along the tracks or when heroin addicts are camping out behind the old movie theater?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
hello all, It is very true what Virginia is talking about, i have seen this town or hamlet or whatever you wanna call it go down hill since i was a kid.

The bar she is describing is as bad as she makes it seem if not worse, i have been inside there at night in the past and watched as all the addicts wait for the dealers to show up with the coke and crack and then its empty as they have all left to go do their score. The first time I have ever stepped over needles, (hyperdermic) was while walking to the train station and passing by the parking lot behind the bar, (I saw an officer in his car later and had him go and pick them up) its not my job. This place might change names but that only protects the buildings owners, the clientel (sp?) stays the same and with it does the dealings.

It is not the only bar on larkfield road that you can find drugs in I promise you that. There are going to be drugs everywhere you go I understand that, but I think what Virginia is describing is the ones who are coming into our town to profit from the drugs. there are gangs in east northport, or basically MS-13 has set up shop on larkfield road, believe it or not. It might not be a visible problem yet but after the recent gang war that went on in Huntington Station (may 2009) it appears that MS-13 moved some of its business to East Northport because there are no Bloods here. If you doubt it just go and talk to an officer the next time you see one, they were open with me when i spoke to them about the needles i saw in the parking lot. There is definately a rising problem with drugs sales in the area and its ties to gangs.

While yes my property values havent seem to go down that much as the rest of the country I hope we can say the same for 20 years from now which is when i had always planned on moving. I can only hope so.

As for the clean up I had read about it and wanted to help and become more active in the community but I had prior things to do that day, i do hope they do it again and soon.

I really wish someone would do something with the old DANO repair shop at the corner of pulaski and larkfield road, I have heard that the dumpin of old motor oil has left the lot in need of big money for anyone to develop the lot but I feel someone needs to do something soon, I can only see it being a matter of time before more of larkfield looks like that if it is left alone.

any way Its nice to meet some of you and hope to see you more often, and yes I used to think my town was better than a lot of other places, but I no longer feel that way, its just what i feel,

As for the real estate agent who inquired about references, let me say this, Huntington township doesnt want the public to know about the problems that are rising across the township. When there are gang related shootings Newsday doesnt mention that those involved were active gang members, I only know of the gang war in the station from talking to local cops, they do not elaborate as to why it isnt reported, but after hearing what they had to say I went back and tried to read more about it online only to find that Newsday hadnt reported any of the things that the local cops told me. Why? I asked myself, and that is why i say what i have above. References, how bout you go talk to local cops, instead of just reading stuff on the internet

Last edited by EastNorthporter78; 09-07-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,737,785 times
Thank you for your very first post EastNorthporter78.

The reason that I asked Virginia to post a reference is because she publicly accused a local business, by name, of promoting drug dealing, underage drinking, and prostitution. When someone does that they should be prepared to back it up with a verifiable source. If they can't they are openining up themselves to a lawsuit from the business. As a local businessman I know that if I happened to come across a thread like this about my business and it was not true, I would be calling my lawyers.

I also wonder why, if the police are fully aware of the situation, they don't do something about it. And, if they did, I doubt that Town of Huntington has the clout to keep it out of the media.

So, at this point, it may or may not be true. I really hope that it is not, because there is no place in our community for this kind of behavior.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,609,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNorthporter78 View Post
... Huntington township doesnt want the public to know about the problems that are rising across the township.
That's very easy to do, since there is no such political entity as "Huntington Township".

Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Gosh, thanks...how helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That's very easy to do, since there is no such political entity as "Huntington Township".
Some of us used context clues to figure out what the person actually meant. Your gro-snark is really annoying.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 AM

316 posts, read 987,744 times
If this bar is really a problem, why not organize protests, contact the media, alert local politicians, etc..? Wishing for change has no effect.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Default No, no, no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
If this bar is really a problem, why not organize protests, contact the media, alert local politicians, etc..? Wishing for change has no effect.
It is much more effective to post anonymous gripes about your local bar on a hardly-trafficked discussion website.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 AM

532 posts, read 1,267,597 times
Quote:
Thanks Walter, very informative.

I've always called East Northport a "town" That'll be a nasty habit to break.
Not a nasty habit at all. Calling East Northport a town is perfectly correct under this context. Calling any municipality a town in casual speech is proper use of the colloquial definition.

The only time the hamlet/village/town designation would be impportant if it is relevant to the topic of conversation or if their were two different types of municipalities with the same name (e.g. Town and Village of Babylon).

Who drives to Hamlet for a slice of pizza anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island