Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill take your word for it.

Im not saying Massapequa doesnt have its share of high end, but my family live on the water in Massapequa and its pretty working class.
Most of their neighbors rent out their canal access to offset the oppressive taxes.Lots of City cops union guys etc.

Again solid town.
I just wouldnt call it Solid Upper by majority.

Crooks

My dad rented a slip in a backyard by Byrnes Park for several years. I grew up in Massapequa -- solid community, very middle class with some pockets of affluence.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My dad rented a slip in a backyard by Byrnes Park for several years. I grew up in Massapequa -- solid community, very middle class with some pockets of affluence.

Exactly.

Thats all Im trying to say.

Crooks

Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
upper class does not mean "does not work". are you telling me no one in garden city holds a job and has a money tree in thier backyard? no, probably not. I think that most of them work in one way or another. Im middle class and I know theres plenty of upper class, wealthy people in pequa that work. they may own a business or 2 or perhaps they have something else going on that creates a lucrative income but it is work.

I dont think you can survive on long island without having to work. but plenty of people have great pensions and dont have to.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill take your word for it.

Im not saying Massapequa doesnt have its share of high end, but my family live on the water in Massapequa and its pretty working class.
Most of their neighbors rent out their canal access to offset the oppressive taxes.Lots of City cops union guys etc.

Again solid town.
I just wouldnt call it Solid Upper by majority.

Crooks
my father was old school. he never wanted to rent anything out in or on his property. I told him he had room for at least 3 boats to rent out but he didnt want to, no matter how much people offered him.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
upper class does not mean "does not work". are you telling me no one in garden city holds a job and has a money tree in thier backyard? no, probably not. I think that most of them work in one way or another. Im middle class and I know theres plenty of upper class, wealthy people in pequa that work. they may own a business or 2 or perhaps they have something else going on that creates a lucrative income but it is work.

I dont think you can survive on long island without having to work. but plenty of people have great pensions and dont have to.
Youre missing the point.
Its OK.

Pequa is a working mans, middle class town and nothing to be ashamed of.
(In fact its part of its charm)

It would be on my short list for So. Nassau but I wouldnt consider it Upper.

Crooks

Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
Seartingtown, Manhasset hills, North Hills, Jericho, Roslyn, Great Neck, East Williston, Woodbury, West Hills.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Everyone is recommending any number of villages and hamlets; but, so far, no one has recommended a "Solid Upper-Middle Class neighborhood" within any of these villages and hamlets.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When you take people to task because they don't see Mastic Beach to be what you find it to be, you are biased. You haven't shown us anything to support your assertions that Mastic Beach is a 'solid middle upper class' area. You've spewed the rhetoric about who wants to live next to whom. Perhaps you should know who you are responding to.

I am Hispanic and I live in a 'solid upper middle class' area. I grew up in a home where my mother was subjected to racism and where my sibling and I were left out of many goings on because we weren't white -- that was Levittown, FWIW. Please don't try and teach me about bias.

My immediate neighbors are born in China, Poland, Japan, Italy, USA, Serbia, Africa, India, Saudi Arabia. My friends are all colors and are teachers, surgeons, dentists, carpenters, lawyers, corporate execs, SAHMs, doctors, research scientists, university administrators, etc.

Almost everyone is college educated and holds one or more degrees. We have the same values with regard to education and work ethic, and many share the same political ideologies.

A 'solid upper middle class' area tends to have educated individuals, more white collars, and as the trend continues individuals of all races who earn over a certain amount each year. It no longer means Bastion of Whiteness.

It's not about the watch you wear, the car you drive, the restaurant you eat in. ANYONE can lease a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus. There once was a time when having a luxury import meant you were of the means. Not anymore.

Mastic Beach has mix of individuals or all races, educational attainment and income as well. But for some strange reason, not many choose it over the Three Village area. Why is that?

Why do more people prefer the 'crime-ridden' 'drug-infested' Huntington Bay area over Mastic Beach?
He's upset because he is not upper middle class, lives in a drug and crime infested neighborhood and is using the race card as an excuse for his shortcomings.

upper middle class has nothing to do with race. People from EVERY background have found success in our country and can afford to live well.

It amuses me how the entitlement section of our society rationalize that they must be a victim or it is someone else keeping them down instead of looking in the mirror and realizing that they have kept themselves down.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 PM

32 posts, read 67,115 times
Default define "Upper-Middle Class"...

I would think that if you could define a neighborhood by the average listing prices of the homes, Upper-Middle Class would consist of houses priced between $600K & $800K. At those prices your mostly looking at white-collar or professional workers, so race isn't a factor. (by that I mean that you could have a black lawyer, a hispanic doctor, an Asian CFO, and a white Plumber all living next to each other.)

Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
South Bellmore, South Wantagh, South Seaford, South Merrick...pretty much anything on or near the water...Syosset, Jericho, Dix Hills, Cold Spring Harbour, Sands Point?, Manhasset, Garden City, Pt. Lookout, Some would say Long Beach (although it has a ghetto) but there are million dollar and middle class homes mixed in etc. etc....lots of places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island