Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM

50 posts, read 173,904 times

Advertisements

My dad lives in Hauppauge, so I spend a lot of time on LI, but I live in Michigan. I love visiting LI, it's like another country to me compared to Michigan (or upstate for that matter). It's, busier, prettier, you're always by the ocean etc. It's far more diverse. I also love that I can just drive to an LIRR station and go NYC in 20 minutes, or the Hamptons.

But on the 25th I'm flying into LaGuardia with my girlfriend, who hasn't traveled much in her life, hasn't been outside of Michigan much, and is extremely excited to get away for a bit. She's never even seen the ocean, and shes dying to go to NYC.

I know a lot of you locals will be like "Not much to be excited about, yatta yatta." But I haven't seen many of the sights myself and I'm wondering, what do your think we should go see? The cheaper or free-er the better. Whether it be in the city or around LI. I'd really like to take her to Fire Island, that place is gorgeous, to see the ocean and such. But what else? What around NYC should we check out?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

Tehspilly, in case you haven't already done so, for things to do in New York City, you might want to post a request at http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/

For things to do on Lawn Guyland, here are two sites that also offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
I would take her to the Statue of Liberty. Also...the NYC library is amazing (and free). A good part of Times Square is now only pedestrian traffic...so thats a lot of fun for window shopping. There are a bunch of restaurants with big windows right there also.

Long Island stuff...Fire Island is fantastic. If you have a car...a drive along the north fork will give you lots of wineries. Get her some bagels!!

My wife is from a very small town in Illinois and is very proud of you for bringing your girlfriend to NYC...you'll have a blast! You won't get the "not much to see" from me...NYC is magical.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM

Thanks I appreciate it. I myself still haven't been to the Statue Of Liberty, I've flown over it but still haven't been to Liberty Island.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,460 times
If you are going to the statue of liberty, remember to book the pedestal tickets in advance. Only a few are allowed to the pedestal, and you have to book online.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
I have lived on LI my whole life and havent been to the statue of liberty yet, I heard it was nice though. Check out Central Park (free). You can take a circle line cruise around lower Manhattan (cheap). Walking around the Village (free to cheap). If you are into live music there are always places to go in Manahattan so see some (cheap to pricey). On LI, I would try to get out to the North Fork wineries. Excellent time of year to taste some wines!!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Don't miss Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay. The "summer White House" of Teddy Roosevelt. Very interesting and enjoyable.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Don't miss Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay.
Tom, Sagamore Hill is in the Village of Cove Neck ("Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address) in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Unfortunately no wineries for me. Don't turn 21 until January. Hehehe. Thanks for the suggestions guys, we do have a decent amount of money to spend, just not, unlimited. Central park is definite, I'm dying to go there. Keep 'em coming.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,382 times
A cool free thing to do is take a ferry ride to staten island and back. You get a boat ride and view of the statue of liberty and ellis island. Staten Island Ferry Information

Take a walk on the High Line. The High Line

MTA Transit Museum in Brooklyn MTA - Transit Museum General Information

Sign up for Goldstar.com and they have tickets for cheap shows in events in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island