Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 AM

39 posts, read 129,562 times

Advertisements

Sup Guys,

What program is good for a first time home buyer right now not taking in consideration the 8k for the government?
Does Medford have a good school district? or is a good neighborhood?
Is not Can you please let me know some town that have a good school district and Good Neighborhood located around 10 to 15 minutes of Edgewood NY?

Please any feedback will be much appreciated we are trying to start looking for a house in April 2010 but we will like to get as much information as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Medford is no where near Edgewood, NY - are you sure you want the LI forum?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Edgewood ny is 11717 and medford ny 11763 is about 27 minutes from edgewood but hov drive is about 20
And yes im know I'm in the long island forum.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 PM

81 posts, read 126,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post
Sup Guys,

What program is good for a first time home buyer right now not taking in consideration the 8k for the government?
Does Medford have a good school district? or is a good neighborhood?
Is not Can you please let me know some town that have a good school district and Good Neighborhood located around 10 to 15 minutes of Edgewood NY?

Please any feedback will be much appreciated we are trying to start looking for a house in April 2010 but we will like to get as much information as possible.
West babylon had a down payment assistance but last i checked, they werent accepting any more apps. They have a good district though

Theres also a Mortgage Credit Certificate program that has yet to go into effect (was suppossed to start in early sept)... its for 1st time homebuyers and you get 20% back on the interest you pay each year

If you want to know about schools in medford, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed ... the highest rating they have is a 57/100 (100 being the best) so thats not that great...

Try holbrook/holtsville/ronkonkoma... closer to the area you mentioned... and all have good schools... their ratings are closer to 80/100.... try lindenhurst as well

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 AM

thanks lilbxqt,
i will sure to check that out, right now I'm looking for good neighborhood more than school district as my Daughter is only 3 years old and I'm not to worry about the High School for now.

does medford still a good choice or do i have to think of the future and get into a good school district now?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 AM

81 posts, read 126,819 times
Quote:

does medford still a good choice or do i have to think of the future and get into a good school district now?
i asked the same exact question in the past when i first started looking... basically, the consenus i received was its best to get into a good district now... that way your resale will be a bit more attractive down the road (you never know if the next place will be your home for good)... but to flip the issue, districts can change over the next 10 yrs... not sure if this happens that often, but its also another side of the arguement... maybe someone else who has experienced this will be able to chime in on the issue

Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,603,309 times
Quote:
Edgewood ny is 11717 ...
The "Brentwood, NY" ZIP Code is 11717.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

Quote:
Please any feedback will be much appreciated ...

ricardomreyes, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The "Brentwood, NY" ZIP Code is 11717.
as well as Edgewood, (don't know why)

Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
as well as Edgewood, (don't know why)

Me either, but it appears from checking with the Census Bureau's online address search function, that, what had been the "Brentwood, NY 11717" ZIP Code postal zone is now the "Edgewood, NY 11717" ZIP Code postal zone; but, at the same time, the Hamlet of Brentwood remained the Hamlet of Brentwood, and most places that have an "Edgewood, NY 11717" mailing address are still in the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County. There is no city, village or hamlet in the Town of Islip, nor in any of the other 9 towns that make up Suffolk County, with the name "Edgewood".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island