Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I can agree that certain types can be more abrasive and less civil, but this is not restricted to certain places like a mall. I see people on the road who act much less civil and they're white from what I've seen. Their weapon is not their loudness but the 2 ton metal shield they drive around. Whatever downfall you see, it's basically happening everywhere, not just places where you see a majority of any certain race.
I've had it with everything on this Island! I'm moving to Wuzzleburg!

Of course even there you have to deal with Wub-Zee

http://cdn.giantmag.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/04/picture-71-300x225.png (broken link)

(For those of you who don't have young children (or a silly sense of humor), I'm referring to a show my pre-school age son watches)

Last edited by Port North; 09-15-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Everyone run for their lives. Guns, drugs & thugs are taking over the island.

The real question should be, what are you going to do in 10-15 years when the island = Queens?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
Is there a gangsta Wuzzle in Wuzzleburg? Maybe J-Wuz?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Is there a gangsta Wuzzle in Wuzzleburg? Maybe J-Wuz?
Click on the second picture in my post. They had Wubzy play Jay-zee in one episode! No kidding!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Everyone run for their lives. Guns, drugs & thugs are taking over the island.

The real question should be, what are you going to do in 10-15 years when the island = Queens?
Most places in the country will be like that within 10-15 years. Like I said no where to run, no where to hide. Only the super wealthy areas will still be in good shape. Look at Latin America (or southern California for that matter). The elite live in beautiful mansions surrounded by slums, that is America's future, count on it.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I live in the heart of the mix, Western Nassau. RF Is changing...not for the better.

Basically the mall is looking like the next Source Mall or Broadway mall. Crowded but with people just looking to hang out....not actually shop.
People have always "hung out" in malls. Kids meeting their friends. Older people using the mall to walk for exercise. People killing time waiting for an appointment. How does their "not actually shopping" affect YOU adversely if you are not a shopkeeper?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Do you ever feel threated by them? You may not like them but you never have to doubt your safety around them.

Groups of what appear to be thug types, yelling and screaming to cause scenes purposely, yes that makes one feel unsafe. So the two do not compare. I know you are trying to make a point but I don't feel it's a valid one. Odds are the lace and lillies kids from GC won't bother you when strolling through a mall, shopping and hanging out. Groups of thug types, who clearly want to puff out their chests and cause scenes that cause heads to turn, way more likely looking for confrontation and way more likely to be a safety concern. So safety is far different than simple taste issues.

I guess I should just say you win. "Thugs scream safety, quality of life, and I want them to keep coming in droves to a mall that used to be a quite peaceful place to shop." Is that better? But I won't lie, and this is just not the truth.
Malls are always LOUD when it's crowded.

If what you refer to as loud "thugs" are not yelling AT YOU or giving YOU a problem, then you should ignore them and go about your business.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Can't we just all get along? We all want to be "united", but get "scared off" by others so easily! What you see is what it is, thugs and all, this IS America. Sketchy people at the mall? Who isn't sketchy nowadays...
That's exactly how I feel!

Why should anyone be so judgmental to say that certain types they don't like should not be allowed to be within their vicinity in a public place like a mall or they will boycott such?

If the people are NOT committing a crime, but they talk and look different from you, that is not your business and who says you are actually so much better than them that they should not even be allowed to cross your path in public? The closest I can find to that being a custom is with the "untouchables" in India who could not go out in the daytime for fear their shadow will cross a higher caste person back in the old days. There is NOBODY in this world that is perfect.

We all have our tacky sides, even those who are famous and powerful. (Look at our last president and how many did not like his "good old boy" attitude and thought he acted like a redneck.) There is always someone "above" us to judge us if they want to. You may not look at an outfit, shoes or accessories I am wearing and wrinkle your nose and say, "Oh that is so last season ... she probably got them in an outlet! Ugh!" But I am sure there are some fashion mavens who could.

Xenophobics should stay at home at all times if they feel that strongly against those who are different from them.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Take a look at this rough biker type bunch from LI (They're right in Long Beach, good Heavens!):

Rescue Ink™

Now they LOOK like the OP's worst (okay, second worst) nightmare ... but check out what their organization does.

Judging people by their type or demeanor and avoiding them because of stereotypes means you miss out on a lot of good people too.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM

316 posts, read 989,742 times
Quote:
Judging people by their type or demeanor and avoiding them because of stereotypes means you miss out on a lot of good people too.
But isn't this the Long Island way of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island