U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 PM

4,941 posts, read 4,348,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Thanks for the feedback..rh71, what system did you have?
My parents house needed an all-new system and he did it with his own equipment - I'm not sure what brand but he replaced sensors for no charge when they malfunctioned even beyond a year later. My house already had an alarm system in (also not a big name apparently) and we just asked him to re-code it to work with his central station for a nominal fee. We had a short in one of the phone lines that had to do with the alarm (he didn't set this up) and he charged $40 (a service call fee) to get it fixed. Very reasonable considering it's no contracts and only $12/mo. central station. Again, PM me if you (or anyone else) wants his info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 AM

4,941 posts, read 4,348,535 times
can't edit my previous message anymore... I looked and my pre-existing alarm system says Napco on the keypad (Slomins equipment too) and my guy was able to make it work with his central station... FYI.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 AM

937 posts, read 1,654,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Its illegal to put up signs if you are not actually in contract with the alarm company. ADT can potentially sue if you they notice.
I'm sure they have employees checking for lawn signs then threading through a database to see if said home has an actual contract w/ the company. THEN they'll hire attorneys to sue I mean, seriously now!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 PM

197 posts, read 244,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Just curious - what law/statute is being violated by the placement of an alarm company no longer in contract with?

In my previous house in Chicago, I switched from one company to another and I was too lazy to go around and remove all the stickers from the windows and just left the old ones on there. It didn't actually say "Protected by ABC", but rather just "ABC Security". I figure I was giving them free advertising if anything, and as far as I could tell, I wasn't misrepresenting anything since the stickers don't actually say I'm using them when I wasn't. In either case, I'm not aware of any law or statute that I would have been in violation of even if it did say "Protected by XYZ".
There is no law/statute that says you cannot use an alarm company
sticker or lawn signs. I have worked for many large alarm companies
and no one has ever been sued for that. I know lots of people that have lawn signs and have no alarm. judges only care if a customer breaks a contract with a company, he would laugh about a lawn sign being used.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

43 posts, read 68,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
can't edit my previous message anymore... I looked and my pre-existing alarm system says Napco on the keypad (Slomins equipment too) and my guy was able to make it work with his central station... FYI.
so basically you can buy an out of the box system, install it yourself and then call this ocusafe company and have them hook the said system up to a central monitoring center?
does anyone have a wired or wireless system that you can buy online or something that is recommended? I don't mind running wires or tearing walls up if it's more efficient as I am doing some work right now

Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,453,600 times
Just make sure they have a sensor that allows Rover to roam around the place if you have a pet. If not, then he's going to go to jail for breaking and entering. Poor Rover, just a pet and already has a record.

Seriously, make sure they have a sensor that allows for pets roaming in the house if you're using a motion sensor.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM

103 posts, read 236,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooom416354 View Post
so basically you can buy an out of the box system, install it yourself and then call this ocusafe company and have them hook the said system up to a central monitoring center?
Yup.

This website has a ton of info on installation and product suggestions. Do It Yourself Home Security System | DIY Security System Alarm Forum - Index

I found the programming to be the toughest part of the install, although once you figure it out it's not too bad. So my suggestion would be to look for systems that are known for being easy to program. As long as you stick with one of the main brands, it should be able to communicate with any monitoring service you choose.

good luck

Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 AM

87 posts, read 153,168 times
Bumping this thread..

Anyone know the information on who to contact to get central monitoring for cheaper the $20.00 a month?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,868 times
Do it youself is not much cheaper. And a headache later on. Go with All Island Security. Great people and best pricing. I have compared most of them. Stay away from Slomins and World Wide Security.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM

906 posts, read 826,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Casegli View Post
Do it youself is not much cheaper. And a headache later on. Go with All Island Security. Great people and best pricing. I have compared most of them. Stay away from Slomins and World Wide Security.
Hmmm, new member, resurrecting 3 year old threads, all promoting the same company.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island