U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 48,592 times
Default Best Streets in Babylon

Hi,
We are looking to relocate from the North Shore (Smithtown) to the South Shore (Babylon) and want a home directly on the water. One of the reasons for the relocation is because we want to live on a family friendly, block party lots of fun type of block. Right now we live in a beautiful area but our neighbors are far apart. While its great for privacy, its not so great for kids. That being said, can anyone recommend a waterfront block that is filled with family fun and friends? Good school district is critical.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

7,464 posts, read 9,651,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limomof3 View Post
Hi,
We are looking to relocate from the North Shore (Smithtown) to the South Shore (Babylon) and want a home directly on the water. One of the reasons for the relocation is because we want to live on a family friendly, block party lots of fun type of block. Right now we live in a beautiful area but our neighbors are far apart. While its great for privacy, its not so great for kids. That being said, can anyone recommend a waterfront block that is filled with family fun and friends? Good school district is critical.

Thanks!
What's your price range?
The Fred Shores area could fit your bill - I lived there for many years...
Also, how do you define "good school district"?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM

347 posts, read 765,143 times
Peninsula Drive - my favorite part of the village - very expensive!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM

7,464 posts, read 9,651,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Peninsula Drive - my favorite part of the village - very expensive!

LOL I remember it well! Some homes actually have "beaches"

Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM

Price range 600-750k. As far as 'good' school districts. I mean teaching, grades, sports etc. I will be coming from a great school district and the one thing I don't want to do is give up education for the water. My kids education has to come first.

Thank you!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM

491 posts, read 648,090 times
Agreed on Penninsula Ave being the best street in Babylon, it's immaculate.

I also agree on the Fred Shores reference. I live there. Very family friendly. Kids all over the place, a real throw-back neighborhood. lots of block parties at the beach club as well. You can buy a very nice home on a canal or bayfront in your price range there. The neighborhood is zoned to West Babylon schools however, we think the schools are great but I don't think they meet your expectations as they are regarded as average by LI standards.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:10 PM

So there are more than one 'babylon' districts? What are they and what would everyone consider the best compared to each other?

Thank you again.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM

491 posts, read 648,090 times
Quote:
So there are more than one 'babylon' districts? What are they and what would everyone consider the best compared to each other?

Thank you again.
Mr. Greenspan, this is the moment you have been preparing for, make me proud.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:36 PM

590 posts, read 955,942 times
I think for your purposes you would want to be in the Incorporated Village Of Babylon which would be Babylon Village District 1 School District.

At 600-750K Penninsula Drive is out, but you can afford what most people would consider an upgrade to Fred Shores by looking at streets like Annuskemunnica Rd.....Araca Rd.....Maybe something modest on Lighthouse Rd....South Fire Island Ave....Lewis Circle....Midway and Bayview...etc.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 PM

13,419 posts, read 14,586,995 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
As someone else wrote -- several school districts.

Flooding is a big concern -- find flood charts for the area. Also find out about the availability of HO insurance.

If I had to move to the south shore, Babylon Village would be my first choice.

mlsli.com #2212952 is cute (except for kitchen/sunroom) Babylon schools, on Fosters Creek and just shy of $900K. That seemed reasonably priced for Babylon water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island