Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 19,846 times

Advertisements

Most LI cops earn more than $100,000 annually

How can this be? The average cop makes just under $140k a year?!?!

How/ when/ why did this happen? I had heard that they make a good salary but $140k is extreme.

What can we do about this? I'm sooooo angry right now

The government just keeps getting bigger and bigger while I cut back to make ends meat! This is just insane!!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoofonfiya View Post
Most LI cops earn more than $100,000 annually

How can this be? The average cop makes just under $140k a year?!?!

How/ when/ why did this happen? I had heard that they make a good salary but $140k is extreme.

What can we do about this? I'm sooooo angry right now

The government just keeps getting bigger and bigger while I cut back to make ends meat! This is just insane!!
Why does this upset you so much??? When you put your life on the line day in and day out, you deserve it. You know what I hate ....A guy like Alex Rodriguez makes 30,000,000 and actors make 15,000,000 a film that's ridiculous.........

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Why does this upset you so much??? When you put your life on the line day in and day out, you deserve it. You know what I hate ....A guy like Alex Rodriguez makes 30,000,000 and actors make 15,000,000 a film that's ridiculous.........
Why does it upset me so much???

Because A-Rod and actors earn their money the fair way - people pay for them because they feel they are worth it. The cops have unions that hold the county hostage. You really can't compare the two - it's an unintelligent comparison.

As for them putting their life on the line - I agree that's a great thing. But let's get real here, if the avg salary were dropped to 90 or 100k, do you think these guys would be struggling? Do you think they'd get another job?

All I have to say is wow... I'm still shocked this is the average salary! I'm sorry but for $140k we should have 2 cops!!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:

That's very true.

I typically support the PD, but this does seem excessive. You find nothing wrong with it because you are a former PO who is out on disability living well in another state where costs are lower.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:30 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:

The cops have unions that hold the county hostage!
You cant blame the union, I agree they get paid too much, but this country was built with unions. The ceo's of companies are raping the the the people who help build the company. They want all the $, and dont want to pay the "little guy". Without the "little guy", the compant WILL fail.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Because A-Rod and actors earn their money the fair way - people pay for them because they feel they are worth it. The cops have unions that hold the county hostage. You really can't compare the two - it's an unintelligent comparison.

As for them putting their life on the line - I agree that's a great thing. But let's get real here, if the avg salary were dropped to 90 or 100k, do you think these guys would be struggling? Do you think they'd get another job?

All I have to say is wow... I'm still shocked this is the average salary! I'm sorry but for $140k we should have 2 cops!!
They make their money in a fair way

I had 3 close personal friends that died in THE LINE OF DUTY one in TOWER 2 on 9/11. I've been personally stabbed, shot at, hit by a drunk driver,beat up by a gang and had numerous surgeries. This doesn't not include the 20+ line of duty funerals I have attended. I led teams that made over 1,000 felony arrests a year and have put my share of criminals away for 20-life. How many guns and drugs have AROD and the actors taken off the streets??? How many 911 calls have they answered??????????? How many lives have they saved, how many times have they risked their own lives to protect you? How many holidays have they spent away from their families because they have to go to work?????? I could go on forever but what's the point, people only see $$ signs not what goes along with it....

THEY make their money the fair way. Give me a break...... call 911 when your in trouble and we'll see who shows up.............

Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's very true.

I typically support the PD, but this does seem excessive. You find nothing wrong with it because you are a former PO who is out on disability living well in another state where costs are lower.

What, now that you find out they make more than you thought, you won't support them now? If they made 70,000 would you support them twice as much?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
They make their money in a fair way

I had 3 close personal friends that died in THE LINE OF DUTY one in TOWER 2 on 9/11. I've been personally stabbed, shot at, hit by a drunk driver,beat up by a gang and had numerous surgeries. This doesn't not include the 20+ line of duty funerals I have attended. I led teams that made over 1,000 felony arrests a year and have put my share of criminals away for 20-life. How many guns and drugs have AROD and the actors taken off the streets??? How many 911 calls have they answered??????????? How many lives have they saved, how many times have they risked their own lives to protect you? How many holidays have they spent away from their families because they have to go to work?????? I could go on forever but what's the point, people only see $$ signs not what goes along with it....

THEY make their money the fair way. Give me a break...... call 911 when your in trouble and we'll see who shows up.............
Look, I'm not one of those jerks who down play the role in society a cop plays.

One thing to remember though: compensation in a capitalistic society is not based on how important one's job is to society. If that were the case, the soldiers fighting for us overseas would make millions of dollars. Compensation is based on the skill set required to successfully fulfill the job responsibilities. It does not take a $140k skill set to be a good cop.

Also, the premium cops get for the risk they take is supposed to be their pensions, vacation time, and zero-contribution health insurance, no? So now they get $140k a year as well? Where do I sign up! lol

Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:

Arod and the actors have unions too.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm not one of those jerks who down play the role in society a cop plays.

One thing to remember though: compensation in a capitalistic society is not based on how important one's job is to society. If that were the case, the soldiers fighting for us overseas would make millions of dollars. Compensation is based on the skill set required to successfully fulfill the job responsibilities. It does not take a $140k skill set to be a good cop.

Also, the premium cops get for the risk they take is supposed to be their pensions, vacation time, and zero-contribution health insurance, no? So now they get $140k a year as well? Where do I sign up! lol
My neighbors make a lot more than that....... do I care, no! I never complain what anyone makes, if it's the profession those choose so be it.
Yeah your right take the test and join, than maybe you wouldn't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island