Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM

108 posts, read 357,845 times

Advertisements

so we found a house we love in nassau county, town of hempstead. we're just having a hard time understand this whole C of O business, especially how it pertains to homes built prior to code.

on long island, if the house is built in 1928, prior to certificate of occupancies being issued, the town will give you a "Letter in Lieu", right?

but what happens after that? for mortgage purposes, will we (buyer's) need to obtain anything in addition to this, like a survey or something?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
so we found a house we love in nassau county, town of hempstead. we're just having a hard time understand this whole C of O business, especially how it pertains to homes built prior to code.

on long island, if the house is built in 1928, prior to certificate of occupancies being issued, the town will give you a "Letter in Lieu", right?

but what happens after that? for mortgage purposes, will we (buyer's) need to obtain anything in addition to this, like a survey or something?

TIA
You will still need everything that the bank normally requires, including a survey.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
You will still need everything that the bank normally requires, including a survey.
thanks tom. i am aware of the other requirements, but not as it pertains to the c of o business. if we have a letter in lieu, we need a survey in addition to this?

and what type of survey do we need? i'm looking all over the internet and from what i'm reading, the survey is something the lenders require anyway, with or without a c of o.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
thanks tom. i am aware of the other requirements, but not as it pertains to the c of o business. if we have a letter in lieu, we need a survey in addition to this?

and what type of survey do we need? i'm looking all over the internet and from what i'm reading, the survey is something the lenders require anyway, with or without a c of o.
The letter in lieu is for the improvements on the land, i.e. the house, garage, etc. - the survey also shows the dimensions/layout/borders of the land; two different requirements.
You can check if the Town has a reasonably recent survey on file that you can use (or maybe the current homeowner can provide one); otherwise, you will have to get one--it's always the buyer's responsibility to obtain a survey. I'm sure any one of us Realtors can recommend a surveyor if you want...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The letter in lieu is for the improvements on the land, i.e. the house, garage, etc. - the survey also shows the dimensions/layout/borders of the land; two different requirements.
You can check if the Town has a reasonably recent survey on file that you can use (or maybe the current homeowner can provide one); otherwise, you will have to get one--it's always the buyer's responsibility to obtain a survey. I'm sure any one of us Realtors can recommend a surveyor if you want...
thanks elke! i'd really appreciate a surveyor recommendation. do you know what the typical cost is for this? and how quickly is this done? my RE attorney has told me that it will typically take 3-6 weeks.

also, just so i'm clear, the survey is always needed? at what point in the buying stage do buyers generally get this done?

thanks again!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
also, just so i'm clear, the survey is always needed? at what point in the buying stage do buyers generally get this done?

thanks again!
They always want a survey. Don't get one until after you're in contract and as I mentioned before, I'd try to get one from either the seller or the Town before hiring a surveyor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island