U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,130,229 times

Advertisements

I was going to pay it and move on but it looks like anything 21mph+ over the limit is automatically 6 points and a "driver's responsibility" fee to the dmv of $100 per year for 3 years. This is on top of the $200 fine. The limit on the Clearview Expy is 50mph for god knows why (I only find this out after he stops me) but I apparently did 75mph trying to pass someone while on a decline. It was my fault for not realizing and like I said - I was going to pay it but this additional penalty is outrageous, especially because it results from a low speed limit on a regular 3-lane highway. 6 points will also do wonders for my insurance premiums for a long time.

The issuer is Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB). Anyone know anything about fighting them or pleading down to 0 points violations in court? They have the Suffolk state office building in Hauppauge as the court. I read from 1 place that they usually don't allow plea bargains and it's guilty or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM

815 posts, read 1,662,478 times
Clearview expressway is in Queens, I think you will be dealing with NYC courts.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,436,253 times
state trooper pulled you over? nassau cop? nypd? get a lawyer. its better than fighting and/or paying it yourself.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:53 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,130,229 times
- yes it's Queens but they (TVB) have "hearing offices" all over, including Bronx/Brooklyn/Buffalo/Manhattan/Suffolk - it lists them.

- it was NYPD who pulled me over. If the lawyer is unsuccessful, I have to pay his fee on top of everything else?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 AM

99 posts, read 224,684 times
If you are going to the TVB.... Which you are if you got a ticket on the Clearview you are in some pretty serious trouble. The TVB CANNOT plea bargain, they can only give you a worse sentence. They have an extremely high conviction rate, and the Clearview NYPD is the worst division, they are great in court and they do not care if you have PBA card etc.

Still I would get a lawyer, it is your only shot. 21+ is 6 points, so you will pay driver responisbility fee, and you will pay a pretty good fine and possibly have your insurance raised. In Nassau county they have a court and they plea bargain, but NYC, and western suffolk is TVB and it is set up to cheaply convict people. You do not have the same rights there, and the judges are not judges. You will have to pay the lawyer if you lose, it will prob cost 3-400 bux but you should do it.

Never speed on clearview, there is always a cop on there, and they sit at the throgsneck at the bottom with the radar gun too.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 AM

2,940 posts, read 6,608,087 times
Sometimes I think there should be alarms in cars set for a speed limit, so if you go over an alarm sounds and if you dont slow down the car will slow down by itself! LIRR trains have a version of this feature. Of course this would require the use of sensors and transmitters at speed zones, and probably wont happen since stopping speeding would kill a cash cow for the govt.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,436,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Sometimes I think there should be alarms in cars set for a speed limit, so if you go over an alarm sounds and if you dont slow down the car will slow down by itself! LIRR trains have a version of this feature. Of course this would require the use of sensors and transmitters at speed zones, and probably wont happen since stopping speeding would kill a cash cow for the govt.

turn on your crusie control!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,263,892 times
Plead not guilty. If the TVB has a high conviction rate, it's not because they are super cops, it's because they show up in court, so put them up to the challenge and see if they show. This is all that's required to get a conviction; the cop just has to show up. There is no "Fighting" tickets. Forget it, it doesn't work that way. If the cop does show up, ask the judge to come back with a lawyer. The judge will allow it.
When you do come back, forget the lawyer (He won't be able to do anything) but you have now made the cop show twice, increasing your chances of having him not show. If he shows, do your best and trake your punishment.
Contrary to urban legend, your fine does not change if you go to court. This is simply not true. The judge cannot increase your penalty for fighting a ticket in court. Don't believe anyone who tries to tell you differently.
Or...
Call a lawyer right away and see if they can handle outside of court. They charge (of course) and only you can decide if it's worth it.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM

293 posts, read 293,800 times
If all else fails, sign up for a defensive driving class immediately. It will remove some points and help your insurance too.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM

8,345 posts, read 13,227,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Actually, many GPS devices do this now (except for the slowing down part). The kind of device you describe is called a "governor" and many trucks have it actually. Usually, to allow for emergency passing they were set to about 60-65 instead of 55, though with higher limits in some parts of the country now they're often set to 70 or so.

As for the 50mph limit, all limited-access highways within the 5 boros have a 50mph or lower limit. They were 55 well before that went national and when that did go national in 1974 the City lowered their roads to 50 (or in the case of the BQE, 45!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island