U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 PM

90 posts, read 173,180 times

Advertisements

Just curious, how do you feel about neighbors who just blow their leaves into the street??? Yesterday I mowed, weed whacked and blew my yard etc. including the street in front of my house. The last couple of weeks my neighbor has started to just blow all of his yard crap into the street. Now when the wind blows guess where it ends up???? Thats right, you guessed it.......in my yard.

Now, do I say something or do I just bite my tongue? These people have only been here about 6 months and I really don't care for them, well HIM anyway, the wife is friendly.... he is not. I am afraid that if I were to say something it could escalate because there are some other issues as well.

Advice please. I guess my options are quite limited though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM

15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
I never had that situation happen, so I am not sure, but if it were me I would ask at Village Hall where I live if there are any regulations about that. Ask your municipality. Back in the day people burned leaves and now nobody does it. Blowing leaves into the street is mega-littering IMO.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Status: "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" (set 24 days ago)

9,050 posts, read 10,390,962 times
In my town you are SUPPOSED to blow leaves into the street and then the village sends a truck around 3 times in the fall to suck them all up. Maybe he moved here from a place where they do that. You might want to let him know that where you live, leaves must be bagged for pickup.

PS - I don't love our system, because as you said, as soon as the leaves go into the street they blow all over the place again.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM

7,693 posts, read 10,650,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeePaw View Post
Just curious, how do you feel about neighbors who just blow their leaves into the street??? Yesterday I mowed, weed whacked and blew my yard etc. including the street in front of my house. The last couple of weeks my neighbor has started to just blow all of his yard crap into the street. Now when the wind blows guess where it ends up???? Thats right, you guessed it.......in my yard.

Now, do I say something or do I just bite my tongue? These people have only been here about 6 months and I really don't care for them, well HIM anyway, the wife is friendly.... he is not. I am afraid that if I were to say something it could escalate because there are some other issues as well.

Advice please. I guess my options are quite limited though.
The first thing came to mind - depending on where you are/what kind of street you're on, in some areas the highway dept. comes along and "sucks up" the leaves. Doesn't sound as though that's the case in your area however...

Next, you indicated that they've only been there for six months, so they've never been through a Fall, at least not in your area. There are three possibilities here:

1. they've never owned a house and don't have a clue
2. their previous house was on a street where the highway dept. came along and took care of leaves by the side of the street (I've seen that) or
3. they don't care

Giving them the benefit of the doubt (#1 or #2), you might want to try a non-confrontational approach and say to one (or both) something along these lines:
"I know this is your first Fall here and you may not be familiar with the procedure for leaf disposal here. Just thought I'd let you know--in this neighborhood we bag and ... (whatever it is you do) or (we compost)" or something along those lines.

Good luck! I know it's enough work do take care of your own leaves - who needs someone else's on top of that...

Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Twingles & Elke,

These people lived around the corner in an apt. in one of the parents' house. Judging from the brief conversation I had with him on 2 occasions, I would say it is #3, that he just doesn't care.

BTY the town of Smithtown doesn't do the Vac. truck thing, they would also know this from growing up here too.

Alot people just don't have any respect for there neighbors anymore.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 PM

7,693 posts, read 10,650,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeePaw View Post
Twingles & Elke,

These people lived around the corner in an apt. in one of the parents' house. Judging from the brief conversation I had with him on 2 occasions, I would say it is #3, that he just doesn't care.

BTY the town of Smithtown doesn't do the Vac. truck thing, they would also know this from growing up here too.

Alot people just don't have any respect for there neighbors anymore.
Hmmm, doesn't sound too good for you Although I must say, lots of renters habitually don't pay attention to what homeowners do - inattentive ignorance?

One other thought, does the Town of Smithtown provide homeowners with some free leaf bags? They do in the Town of Huntington. If that's they case, you could just ask if they didn't get any and see what the response is.

My final non-confrontational suggestion would be to give them a handful of bags and (innocently) say, I don't know if you're aware of it, but around here leaves need to be bagged--I thought I'd give you some to start off with. Peaceful overture--might work?

With that, I'm out of suggestions

Keep us posted...

Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,491 posts, read 6,249,284 times
I think the leaves on the ground are beautiful.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I think the leaves on the ground are beautiful.
So would you like all of your neighbors leaves in your yard after he blows them into the street?????

I think fall is beautiful too, but c'mon, no one wants to clean up anymore leaves and yard waste than they have to.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 PM

13 posts, read 23,601 times
The solution is simple.Get a leafblower and blow them right back onto his lawn.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Landscapers love to do this, often blowing the leaves right at passing cars! I wish landscapers would be outlawed. You'd have quieter streets, cleaner air, and no more men standing on the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island