U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM

748 posts, read 1,788,283 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 zone sprinkler system. Last winter, I paid someone 70$ to do it for me. Can I attempt this on my own.

I read up a few things online, but it talks about drain valves etc and I do not know where drain valves are located. But I do have a programmable timer and the shut off valves are located close to this. How do I locate drain valves and make sure all existing water is drained out after I shut off the water to the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM

81 posts, read 28,600 times
The proper way to do it, involves blowing out the system. $70 doesn't sound too bad, my friend. Just spend the bucks and be done with it.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM

610 posts, read 620,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I have a 4 zone sprinkler system. Last winter, I paid someone 70$ to do it for me. Can I attempt this on my own.

I read up a few things online, but it talks about drain valves etc and I do not know where drain valves are located. But I do have a programmable timer and the shut off valves are located close to this. How do I locate drain valves and make sure all existing water is drained out after I shut off the water to the system.
I'm with you. $70 is too much for a task that takes 10-15 minutes.
Who did you use for the winterizing? It looks easy enoguh to do. Get a pressure air hose, turn on the zone until all water has been drained. I wonder if you could use a pressure washer?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM

The internet articles does say blowing out sprinklers should be left to professionals. But it also said not all sprinklers require a blow-out. http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/winter.htm http://www.rainbird.com/diy/support/winterization.htm (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
The proper way to do it, involves blowing out the system. $70 doesn't sound too bad, my friend. Just spend the bucks and be done with it.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM

231 posts, read 530,569 times
Guy was doing them in my parents hood (merrick) last year for 50 bucks.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM

7,758 posts, read 10,915,769 times
Quote:

I have 6 zones - pay $50 + tax. If you want the name, let me know.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM

610 posts, read 620,660 times
Quote:
The internet articles does say blowing out sprinklers should be left to professionals. But it also said not all sprinklers require a blow-out. Winterizing Your Irrigation System Rain Bird Sprinkler Winterization Guide (http://www.rainbird.com/diy/support/winterization.htm - broken link)
Thanks. The article has scared me sufficiently that I don't think I will be attempting it myself.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

4,957 posts, read 4,381,308 times
I have not winterized since I bought this house in 2002 and never had a problem though I've seen my neighbor's front yard with excessive frost one morning. This is through some temps in the single digits too. It's a crapshoot but for me it's been ok. I may try that extra insulation on the main shutoff valve this year...

Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM

It sounds like it might be worth the effort to have a professional do it. I am in Nassau county, so I am not sure if they have different rates here.

Are they friendly enough to explain what they are doing? My guy does not really want to explain anything.. just want to do the thing and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I have 6 zones - pay $50 + tax. If you want the name, let me know.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM

7,758 posts, read 10,915,769 times
Quote:
It sounds like it might be worth the effort to have a professional do it. I am in Nassau county, so I am not sure if they have different rates here.

Are they friendly enough to explain what they are doing? My guy does not really want to explain anything.. just want to do the thing and leave.
I always ask a lot of questions
Of course if you do it every time, they might start charging more ("time is money"...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island