Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_V View Post
I'll work in CSH ...

Fred_V, if by "CSH" you mean the Cold Spring Harbor Lab, in case you are not aware, the Cold Spring Harbor Lab is not in the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County BUT it is in the Village of Laurel Hollow ("Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" mailing address) in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.

The "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" ZIP Code postal zone serves an area on both sides of the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

The geography of Laurel Hollow can be quite confusing even to old timers, let alone folks coming from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, as Laurel Hollow is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Laurel Hollow:

Laurel Hollow is a village (incorporated in 1926 as Laurelton, after a local mansion; but, because of confusion with a Queens County community of the same name, the village changed it to Laurel Hollow in 1935) in the northeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by Cold Spring Harbor; on the east by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington (the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of Woodbury; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Village of Oyster Bay Cove.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Laurel-hollow-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Laurel Hollow is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Laurel Hollow have an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771", "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724", "Woodbury, NY 11797" and "Syosset, NY 11791" mailing address. The world-famous Cold Spring Harbor Lab is actually in the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and not in the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
oh dear god...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
oh dear god... :rolleyes:

Don't feel too bad, ENFD240, most people don't know that the Cold Spring Harbor Lab is not in Cold Spring Harbor.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Don't feel too bad, ENFD240, most people don't know that the Cold Spring Harbor Lab is not in Cold Spring Harbor.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
guess i'm not like most people then

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Walter, when it comes to specifics with regard to locations/maps, etc. you are truly the master!

Having said that, I'd like to point out the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory DOES have a center in Cold Spring Harbor, right on Main Street, across from Goose Hill Rd - it's the Dolan DNA Learning Center.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
You could bike to CSH station from Huntington Village, its about 3.5 miles down Woodbury road.
Not if she wants to see her child grow up....talk about a hair raising ride!

I think Elke's assessment was spot-on. I grew up in Huntington and I can't argue with anything she wrote.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
guess i'm not like most people then :ok:
My compliments to you.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Fred - Elke's spot on with her suggestion of you moving to Greenlawn instead of Huntington/Huntington Station.

For one thing, since your wife doesn't drive (perhaps she could get her license to drive while living here??? getting around LI is very difficult given the traffic and lack of good public transportation), living in Greenlawn in town would give you all access to shopping plus the RR station without having to drive. Or even bike.

I do see a very few people bicycling around Huntington and other places on LI, but really, it's pretty risky since most drivers break the speed limit, and some drive like maniacs. Bicycling is too unsafe - it's nothing like over in Europe. In Europe it's part of the culture. People who drive here don't expect someone on a bike on a main road, so biking to the Cold Spring Harbor RR station shouldn't even be in the equation.

And even in Huntington Village (I know Walter, it's really a hamlet) you won't find bikes, except for the occasional teenager on one. The Village is a walking town - not a biking town per se.

So, Greenlawn fits the bill since your wife will have immediate access to the train station (I'm assuming she has plans to go to NYC a lot) and to the local stores. There are small houses in Greenlawn village and some are probably for rent. You may find something that will fit your situation.

Good luck to you all.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
There are small houses in Greenlawn village ...
Greenlawn, too, AndreaII, is a hamlet, not a village.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,549 times
Ok so I figured it might be best if she gets her drivers licence asap. How does this work? You go to the DMV, do the exam and walk out with your licence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island