U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Long Island
975 posts, read 1,099,340 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ok well you're 28 and you have been working for 5 years...I'm 27 and I have been working for 5 years, so I started working at a younger age than you did. I think that is pretty impressive. For someone who wouldn't want to do what I do, do you even know what it is that I do? You don't have to like it, that's fine, but don't say it is something you wouldn't want to do when you don't even know what it is.

Most people don't work hours like me b/c they are lazy as sh*t.

I also happen to LOVE what I do. I would say the majority of people don't like their jobs.
I was referring to the hours you work, and having to buy things that you need just to get work done. If I need a pen I get one from the supply room. If i need a specials (extra computer, note pads, etc) item I tell them to order it. It does not have to come out my pocket

I have worked since I was 14, (legal age in NY) and before that (after as well) I worked for my grandfather doing plumbing, heating and house repairs. I worked my way through college, and I am lucky that my current job is paying for my masters. I am far from lazy. The 5 years was just the amount of time I have been at my current job.

I love my job. Make a good amount a money. But I love a lot of thing outside my job as well. And if this was my whole life (aka 60-80 hours a week) I would have to give that all up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I am 28 and have had my job for 5 years as of last Aug. Better job then all my friends. (I do count my blessings on this)

I am not putting you down, but it just does not sound like a job I would want to do. If I had to I would do the same.

But the truth is most people are not working hours like you.
Maybe in small offices on LI they run out the door at the stroke of 5 PM, but in Manhattan, especially certain industries, it is much more common than you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,119,839 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe in small offices on LI they run out the door at the stroke of 5 PM, but in Manhattan, especially certain industries, it is much more common than you might think.
This is 100% right. My 1st job was on LI and the atmosphere was very different. It was a similar job to the one I have now (which is in Manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's just the teacher being lazy and/or cheap.
Actually I think the school district should be paying for things like custodial supplies. Next what will they do? Charge for the textbooks the kids borrow for the school year? Where is all the money going? (Oh I forgot they have to give free pensions and health insurance benefits for life to attorneys that don't work for the school district, of course, that is more important!)

I can see it happening in some school districts that really have no money, but in Nassau and Suffolk it is ludicrous, considering the huge chunk of everyone's property taxes they get.

The kids can bring their own pens, pencils, notebooks, etc., on an individual basis. I grew up on LI and my teachers never bought that stuff for me (and I don't think they should), nor was I expected to "buy in bulk" and bring it in to my classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,119,839 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Actually I think the school district should be paying for things like custodial supplies. Next what will they do? Charge for the textbooks the kids borrow for the school year? Where is all the money going? (Oh I forgot they have to give free pensions and health insurance benefits for life to attorneys that don't work for the school district, of course, that is more important!)

I can see it happening in some school districts that really have no money, but in Nassau and Suffolk it is ludicrous, considering the huge chunk of everyone's property taxes they get.

The kids can bring their own pens, pencils, notebooks, etc., on an individual basis. I grew up on LI and my teachers never bought that stuff for me (and I don't think they should), nor was I expected to "buy in bulk" and bring it in to my classroom.
I agree. I always remember getting a supply list and going with my mom to get the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Long Island
975 posts, read 1,099,340 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe in small offices on LI they run out the door at the stroke of 5 PM, but in Manhattan, especially certain industries, it is much more common than you might think.
I don't work in Manhattan, but I don't work for a small office either. In fact we are one of the largest defense contractors in the world. Guess I lucked out.

I work 40 hours a week and get every other Friday off (working 9 hours a day for 4 days of the week). I am salary but still get paid over time. I have a good gig and I know it. I only know one of my friends that works hours like he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
No, i think is just the teachers being tired of paying for supplies for 20-30 other people. I know I would not do it for my office.
Is there actually any rule (Union or otherwise) that mandates teachers pay for supplies out of their own pocket? I don't think they should have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,119,839 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I don't work in Manhattan, but I don't work for a small office either. In fact we are one of the largest defense contractors in the world. Guess I lucked out.

I work 40 hours a week and get every other Friday off (working 9 hours a day for 4 days of the week). I am salary but still get paid over time. I have a good gig and I know it. I only know one of my friends that works hours like he does.
if you are salaried, how do you get paid for overtime?

Each overtime hour I work, by the way, I get double my regular hourly rate. A person here would be crazy to NOT work the overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,759 posts, read 16,351,852 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I don't work in Manhattan, but I don't work for a small office either. In fact we are one of the largest defense contractors in the US. Guess I lucked out.

I work 40 hours a week and get every other Friday off (working 9 hours a day for 4 days of the week). I am salary but still get paid over time. I have a good gig and I know it. I only know one of my friends that works hours like he does.
That's a good reason why your employer doesn't demand it and may even discourage it, as they probably hire enough non-exempt employees to avoid having to pay anyone OT on a regular basis.

Tell us how things are if you switch to a position that is classified as exempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,119,839 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is there actually any rule (Union or otherwise) that mandates teachers pay for supplies out of their own pocket? I don't think they should have to.
Who knows...but if the district isn't supplying what's the alternative? I don't think making the kids buy it is exactly fair...considering too that generally the districts that do not provide stuff for the teachers are the poorer ones, is it really fair to make a poorer-scale family pay for 30 of one item?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top