U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,463 posts, read 15,064,597 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Why would I do that? I have a pretty good gig

But really, I am not super pro-union but pro-me. As long as the union is doing right be me I am with them. If it becomes a problem, I'll start looking for a new job.

Guess this is why I am not upset a teachers unions. They go for what they can get. It's up to these school boards that we vote in to fight for us, and represent our interests.
True. The taxpayers on Long Island need to step up right in the faces of the ever single school board and say, loud and clear, "The party's over!! No more guaranteed raises (merit based raises instead)! 401(k)s instead of pensions from now on for new hires! Less administrators pushing paper! No more benefits and pensions for non-employee lawyers! If you don't do what we say, don't let the door hit you in the #*%$%@# when you are voted out." That's just for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
 
815 posts, read 1,034,647 times
Reputation: 502
True. The taxpayers on Long Island need to step up right in the faces of the ever single school board and say, loud and clear, "The party's over!! No more guaranteed raises (merit based raises instead)!

Merit pay only benefits the teachers with the brownest noses, and has been shown that it does not increase student performance.

401(k)s instead of pensions from now on for new hires!

New hires are in a STATE mandated teachers retirement fund, nothing to do with the school board. BTW, new hires must contribute to their retirement.

Less administrators pushing paper!

Agree, BTW, they ARE on merit pay. Do you see the student performance increasing? I don't.

No more benefits and pensions for non-employee lawyers!

I thought this was about teachers, not lawyers.


If you don't do what we say, don't let the door hit you in the #*%$%@# when you are voted out." That's just for starters.

Board of Ed members usually don't get a salary, as far as I know, so being "voted out" really is not much of a threat. What percentage of the voters in your district actually vote during Board of Education meetings? I know that you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Tri-State Area
2,919 posts, read 2,773,187 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Just curious. I know that in NJ suburbs, teachers there also have fairly high salaries and they also have high property taxes. Do the residents there also complain about the salaries of teachers and police?

The answer to your question is: Yes!! Teachers in NJ have little or no contributions to make towards their health plan and their salaries top out over NYC teacher salaries. Their pension plans would make your mouth and eyes water at the same time.

Why do people in NJ complain? Mainly because school taxes are paid out of property taxes. The state contributes practically nothing towards education. It's becoming prohibitive living in some parts of NJ with the school boards literally "rubber-stamping" pay increases without realizing the extreme stress the tax-paying public is under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,539,708 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
The answer to your question is: Yes!! Teachers in NJ have little or no contributions to make towards their health plan and their salaries top out over NYC teacher salaries. Their pension plans would make your mouth and eyes water at the same time.

Why do people in NJ complain? Mainly because school taxes are paid out of property taxes. The state contributes practically nothing towards education. It's becoming prohibitive living in some parts of NJ with the school boards literally "rubber-stamping" pay increases without realizing the extreme stress the tax-paying public is under.
My feeling on school tax is that why should someone without kids in the school system have to pay school taxes? I'm 27, single, no kids. I vote no for the budgets every year b/c I don't think myself or everyone else like me should have to pay a school tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,293,373 times
Reputation: 150
Because it's a tax. Tax means everyone pays. If only people with kids paid, then it would be tuition and we would no longer have free public education. That's why I pay Social Security and Medicare tax, even though I'm not allowed to use that either.

The "I don't use it so why should I pay" argument entirely misses the point of taxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,539,708 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Because it's a tax. Tax means everyone pays. If only people with kids paid, then it would be tuition and we would no longer have free public education. That's why I pay Social Security and Medicare tax, even though I'm not allowed to use that either.

The "I don't use it so why should I pay" argument entirely misses the point of taxation.
yes but one day medicaid and SS will benefit/help you and I. If I never have kids, the school tax will never benefit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Long Island
966 posts, read 1,047,389 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yes but one day medicaid and SS will benefit/help you and I. If I never have kids, the school tax will never benefit me.

You help pay for lot of roads and bridges you will never use as well.

There are plenty of taxes that go to things you may never use personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
6,375 posts, read 7,488,300 times
Reputation: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yes but one day medicaid and SS will benefit/help you and I. If I never have kids, the school tax will never benefit me.
I can understand your point, but the problem as someone else said is that if they don't do that it will become a "tuition" thing and there'll be no public education. And sadly (using health care as an example), once education is no longer "free" we'll have a significant minority with no education and a really bad downward spiral. Sometimes, I wish we could do it that way, since while your point I can respect, it would solve the issue of many seniors I know who when their kids are in school say, "everyone needs to pay the tax for our children, think of our children even if you have none", then once their kids are grown and they're retired they do an about face and complain like, "we paid our dues, stop making us scrimp our retirement, we don't need the system now". My attitude to that is those people should find towns with lower taxes and move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,539,708 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You help pay for lot of roads and bridges you will never use as well.

There are plenty of taxes that go to things you may never use personally.
yeah lol and I don't agree with those either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,539,708 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I can understand your point, but the problem as someone else said is that if they don't do that it will become a "tuition" thing and there'll be no public education. And sadly (using health care as an example), once education is no longer "free" we'll have a significant minority with no education and a really bad downward spiral. Sometimes, I wish we could do it that way, since while your point I can respect, it would solve the issue of many seniors I know who when their kids are in school say, "everyone needs to pay the tax for our children, think of our children even if you have none", then once their kids are grown and they're retired they do an about face and complain like, "we paid our dues, stop making us scrimp our retirement, we don't need the system now". My attitude to that is those people should find towns with lower taxes and move there.
but I'm not a teacher and I probably never will have kids, so why would I care what happens to our education system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top