U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM

7,248 posts, read 7,482,061 times
Default Anyone leave LI for Florida and regret the move?

I grew up on Long Island and then lived several years out west in CA and OR. We relocated two years ago to FL to be closer to family.

Anway I just don't care for the place....LOL. I have tried but I find most of the year the weather is too hot and humid. I find the drivers scare the hell out of me. They like to blame those from "up north" for all the bad driving, and while NY has some agressive drivers they are usually well trained drivers.

Here anyone can get a DL, they also drive here with no car insurance.
It isn't legal but they don't impound cars so they keep driving. I have seen or heard about more wrecks here than all my years in CA.

When I talk to people who have moved here( especially younger people who still work) and ask them do they like it here, it seems the majority regret the move. I never give my opinion until they give theirs.

Other than a couple of months in the winter, I don't get the attraction of having to run the A/C 24/7 or not being able to open a window at night and get a cool breeze.

I can understand to a point resentment a native Floridian might have towards "yankees",but some of these people act like the Civil War just ended.

Growing up on LI I didn't run across for lack of a better word "white trash"
like you do down here. Didn't know people like that in CA either.

While you do have very nice normal people here there are also a lot of "Jerry Springer" types when you go to the stores.

Just wondering if anyone felt this way. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,266,535 times
If you hate it that much................move

Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,872,270 times
My mom, TANaples, feels the same exact way you do. She's really miserable down there. My dad doesn't like it, but deals with it a lot better than my mom. I'm sure my mom will post

Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM

8,413 posts, read 8,987,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
If you hate it that much................move
I agree - what difference does it make what anyone else thinks? It's like when people say they want to move from Long Island and people get bent out of shape. It's a free country with open borders, go where you like.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM

8,413 posts, read 8,987,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My mom, TANaples, feels the same exact way you do. She's really miserable down there. My dad doesn't like it, but deals with it a lot better than my mom. I'm sure my mom will post
That's funny that is your mom! Mine can't even type, LOL.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,710,881 times
I would rather be a bag lady on LI than live in a mansion in Florida.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

LOL...thanks for the laugh. I was just trying to get feedback.

Believe me I can't see living here until the end. We still have property in CA.

I just wanted to hear how others felt. I find if you say anything on the FL boards some of them take it as a personal insult. They need to get a thicker skin.

Being a native New Yorker you go through like hearing comments about NY. Many of them negative.

I have never seen worse drivers and such poorly maintained highways as there are here. Yes I know there are transplants but they start driving here at 15 wiht a full DL at 16. They let 85 yr olds renew their DL over the phone.

Between the really old and the really young it is scary and 40% drive with no car insurance.

The weather is nice in the winter and the beaches are proably the best on the US mainland. But that is the only nice things I can say....LOL.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM

5,860 posts, read 6,634,902 times
Quote:
lol, that's exactly how I feel too!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,674,304 times
Quote:
I love your posts! You know my posts by now and I'm in complete agreement with you. To the OP, get out now before you get stuck down here like my family did. We will finally be getting out in a yr, give or take and I feel like I could explode, I'm so anxious to leave this place. To the ppl who say it is so great, I'm a Florida native who has lived here 30+ yrs, not just some disillusioned transplant who was seeking paradise and am now unhappy and want to blame Florida. I have ALWAYS lived here and it is definetly not paradise. I personally cannot take the super-rude ppl I constantly encounter nor the constant never-ending or changing HEAT. Eight, nine months of Summer(end of Sept w/ temps in the low 90s) and NO seasonal changes are killing me! I get so depressed when March roll around and the temps are back in the 80s and Summer is back to stay till Nov. My advice to anyone who has moved here and has tried to make it work but still does not like it: please move before circumstances beyond your control end up keeping you here. My parents never intended to stay here but a death and a job kept them here and now it's 40 yrs later and they are finally leaving.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I love your posts! You know my posts by now and I'm in complete agreement with you. To the OP, get out now before you get stuck down here like my family did. We will finally be getting out in a yr, give or take and I feel like I could explode, I'm so anxious to leave this place. To the ppl who say it is so great, I'm a Florida native who has lived here 30+ yrs, not just some disillusioned transplant who was seeking paradise and am now unhappy and want to blame Florida. I have ALWAYS lived here and it is definetly not paradise. I personally cannot take the super-rude ppl I constantly encounter nor the constant never-ending or changing HEAT. Eight, nine months of Summer(end of Sept w/ temps in the low 90s) and NO seasonal changes are killing me! I get so depressed when March roll around and the temps are back in the 80s and Summer is back to stay till Nov. My advice to anyone who has moved here and has tried to make it work but still does not like it: please move before circumstances beyond your control end up keeping you here. My parents never intended to stay here but a death and a job kept them here and now it's 40 yrs later and they are finally leaving.
Wow, and that is coming from a native. We moved here only because my inlaws are down there. I don't care for the weather or the people.

Exactly, nine months of summer, I find myself inside more than when I lived in NY, and way more than CA. When the sun is out and it is humid, I don't want to go outside.

You hardly seen anyone outside unless they have to be. Everyone pulls the car in their garages and goes into the house. I have never felt so isolated, I couldn't tell you the names of anyone on this block accept for the lady next door and the people across the street. We can go for weeks and not see any neighbors.

Only use the pool at night. Sun is too strong during the day.

I find very few New Yorkers or anyone from the NE who says they like living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island