Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 AM

53 posts, read 162,460 times

Advertisements

Hi, Do you have any idea what's the cost to convert my stove from electric to Gas?..I have the gas service (National) on my street here at farmingville but we need to do the full installation......I hate the taste of my food from electric stove.

I'm keeping the current oil heater system because i don't want to spend a lot of money...

I'm going to contact National grid but i posted this just to have an idea before start the process.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:51 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
If the gas is on your street already National Grid will run a line to your house for free. As far as converting the stove, you can't do that. You'll need to buy a new gas stove. My sister did this about 5 years ago in Huntington.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,928 times
They'll run the gas line to your house for free... but you have to have a plumber plumb the line to your stove. Probably not that much, depends on where the kitchen is in the house and how difficult it is to run the line. It's a bunch more costly to do the heat conversion since you need to buy a boiler, have the old tank and boiler taken out, the chimney re-lined, etc.

Out of curiosity though how can you not like the taste from your electric stove? Your stove shouldn't be imparting any taste. If it is, it's probably broken. Maybe you just can't cook

Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,024,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If the gas is on your street already National Grid will run a line to your house for free. As far as converting the stove, you can't do that. You'll need to buy a new gas stove. My sister did this about 5 years ago in Huntington.
National Grid will pay for the first 100 ft - after that it's about $75/ft

If you want gas just for cooking, many people use propane (tanks are stored outside)

Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM

308 posts, read 442,913 times
Many homes near me, myself included, use oil for heat and propane for the stove. If your stove is against an outside wall it should not be too much for the cost of the tank and the short distance of pipe.

If you do go that route, just be sure to tell the retailer that the new stove will be run on propane. Propane requires different fitting on the stove than natural gas. Most stoves come with both fittings anyway, but some you have to buy them seperately.

Last edited by MikefromNY; 10-08-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM

53 posts, read 162,460 times
Thanks a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island