Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times

Advertisements

I was on this thread a while back I moved to Atlanta and I hate it, I finally got to the point I could make it back home where I am now at in Long Island with my spouse and child, none of us wants to go back to GA I have 25 years experience in accounting and I really need a job. So how is the job market these days I have sent out a few resumes and got a couple of interviews more than I every got in GA and my DH is so unhappy with GA he has put in for medical leave and is willing to spend is time off here taking the NYC DOC exam and waiting to be called.

My other problem is that our daughter needs a private school or is the Central Islip Middle school not that bad?

We are currently living with family until we can get setup here

and we are not looking for much a two or even a one bedroom temporarily will be ok.

How is the job market, for an experience accountant with 25 years ? Do you think I can get anything within the next month? Even if I have to go into the city, in which I have an interview tomorrow after sending out a few resumes this is my second interview

Will also be getting in at least another 10k within the next 3 months however, I would like to work as well, in which the job market in Atlanta is so bad I have not found anything in accounting in the past year and a half. I took what I could in the health field and my salary was cut by over 30K and then I was laid off, my husband salary was cut 30k and we hate GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM

32 posts, read 67,112 times
I hate to have to tell you this, but the job market for accountants is no better here in NY. I was let go in March from my assistant controller position and was lucky enough to get a temp job starting in April. However, I still haven't found a permanent job. I have an MBA, but not a CPA. The big companies aren't hiring and all the smaller companies are dragging their heels.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Doesn't matter what field you're in today. This economy is tough on everything. Just keep trying.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Its probably a little better than Georgia, but still very rough. We aren't seeing the massive layoffs we had from last October to March, but not many companies are hiring, and for the ones that are the competition is immense due to all the people who were laid off late last year and early this year who are still out of work. The experience you have should help, but don't expect to land that someone with your level of experience would look at in a better market.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
I hate to have to tell you this, but the job market for accountants is no better here in NY. I was let go in March from my assistant controller position and was lucky enough to get a temp job starting in April. However, I still haven't found a permanent job. I have an MBA, but not a CPA. The big companies aren't hiring and all the smaller companies are dragging their heels.
At least there is temp work and you got it in a month. Some industries don't even have much temp work.

One of my sisters is a CPA and doing great. Try and get your next permanent employer to sponsor you for taking the test to get that designation.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 PM

thanks I did an interview today with yet another recruiter, and I am just going to keep at it. I feels good to final be back home me and my husband have decided we will take anything that comes our way right now and we will just keep trying something will show up

Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
I have heard that accounting (though in particular CPA accounting) is one of those jobs like some health care jobs that are not doing as bad during these tough times than most other things. So hopefully that holds true for you and lots of luck!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I have heard that accounting (though in particular CPA accounting) is one of those jobs like some health care jobs that are not doing as bad during these tough times than most other things. So hopefully that holds true for you and lots of luck!

See it's comments like this that makes me miss home, thanks to everyone so much, and for all everyone in the same boat as me I will keep you updated. Good Luck

Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
What do you hate about Atlanta?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
What do you hate about Atlanta?
It is almost the land of proverty, between my husband and I we have a 80k pay cut. My husband works for the State of GA and no unions, no overtime, even though he works 18 hours a day he only gets paid 8 hours. My job is pretty much the same, the homes are cheap, but the salary is cheaper and you are never in a position to catch up. We could get something less expensive but we would have to dodge bullets in order to do so. We have a 6th grader and the school system is horrible. The crime is worst, with smash roberies, car jacking, shooting, and drugs, it is far more worst than NY, not to mention I am real fed up with going on job interviews and being called a Yankee for an under paid job.

My daughter hates her class due to the classmate always fighting, this year we placed her in private school and it is 400.00 per month the least expensive we could find and even that is killing us due to the paycuts but we cant see her back in the public school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: