Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,391 times

Advertisements

I am about to go into contract on a house and it seems like a nice area in Hempstead.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
You had better have the $$$ to put your kids in private school! Otherwise you are making a big mistake.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You had better have the $$$ to put your kids in private school! Otherwise you are making a big mistake.
I_Love_LI_but, it would appear that, at least part of, Ingraham Estates is in that part of the Village of Hempstead that is in the Uniondale Union Free School District and not in the Hempstead Union Free School District.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
stagrid, you can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

Secondly, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I_Love_LI_but, it would appear that, at least part of, Ingraham Estates is in that part of the Village of Hempstead that is in the Uniondale Union Free School District and not in the Hempstead Union Free School District.
Uniondale isn't much better. Bad academic scores. Full of serious central american gangbangers.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
From the maps it doesn't look like the worst area of Hempstead, but it's pretty close. And as ILLIB stated - good luck with the schools.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
From the maps it doesn't look like the worst area of Hempstead, but it's pretty close. And as ILLIB stated - good luck with the schools.
I know the neighborhood she is talking about. Had a friend who lived there way back when. It's a very pretty neighborhood and has nice houses. If you go there, you would say, "Whoa! Are you sure we are in Hempstead?"

But the schools, be they Hempstead or Uniondale screw things up seriously. They are not just low-scoring, but filled with dangerous characters from central american gangs such as MS-13 and Salvadorans with Pride. Hempstead is the base of one of these gangs and Uniondale is the base of the other. Of course they are always "visiting" each other's schools and neighborhoods to fight with one another, and it is very dangerous for innocent, non-gang members too who can get attacked for no reason or caught in the cross-fire. I would never send a child, especially teenagers, to one of those schools. I would never let one even walk on the sidewalk outside those schools.

To the OP: If you have or plan to have kids, and cannot afford private school, I would advise you not to sign that contract and find a house in a safe school district.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:40 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
Years ago, they use to advertise this area and stress that it was part of the Uniondale school district (because as others have said, its quite nice, but the Hempstead schools suck). Uniondale schools suck also and you are VERY close to the trash that populates Hempstead Tpke/Fulton St/Route 24. Just driving down that corridor from Hofstra through Hempstead is a depressing scene and often requires knowledge of the Spanish language. Drive down Main St in Hempstead or even Front St which is close ot the estates section....

The homes are nice, but with the influx of immigrants you are getting some people who are renting out their homes and dividing it illegally. There's a nice landscaped median on Ingraham Lane....lots of Tudor homes with nice features.

If you have a young child you could send them to elememtary school in the Uniondale district but after that, private school only. They no longer stress UNiondale schools for a reason.

Many of the long time residents bought in when it was cheap(er) so they stay. They are Hardworking and responsible folks who keep the area nice, etc. But for the most part, black professionals are shunning the area and I would not pay 300k plus to live in the area. And I am no paranoid outsider, I know the area extremely well. Right now you tend to get many folks from NYC, a mix of Carribean immigrants (who often work hard at keeping the area) and then the um, well Central American immigrants folks have already discussed (and no its no exaggeration).

I should add this...in general while the crime is high for the area and the police patrol Uniondale much more than before, you usually won't have a problem unless you are in the mix. Uniondale has its struggles but most black/latino neighborhoods on the island are subpar for LI standards. That being said, you do have good residents in the area its just the new ones are outnumbering them and not ina good way.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
I was driving down Clinton the other night and had to cut through Hempstead. There was a bunch of kids (about 11 or 12 yrs old) near one of the Bodegas as I was driving by and they were hitting each other with clubs of some sort. It was nuts. One kid would get hit and then retreat into his posse and then another would come after someone from the other group. Where the Hempstead police were is anyone's guess.

I'm just not sure they'll ever clean up Hempstead. Sad.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,218 times
The detrimental thing about the HSD is that you will most likely need to provide for Private School. One would think that the amount of taxes going into the school districts will bring about a QUALITY EDUCATION, irrespective of where the school is located. If the house in Hempstead appears to be a great deal, go for it and contact your representative in Hempstead ( once you move there) to work on getting a Bill that will enable parents the "right of choice" for their child's education to the point where they don't have to continue paying what appears to be an excise tax. In this case, the school tax is extremely high every where in Long Island. Too much money just leads to more embezzling and corruption. Let parent's choose Private over Public with the help of your local politicans , you know the one's you vote for !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island