Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 129,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Youll be fine.

Youre right off the Wm Floyd so its pretty accessible.

I like Lake Panamoka since it reminds me of old Miller Place/Rocky Point/Sound Beach.

Kelly is a regular on our board, shes your expert.

Good luck

Crooks
Thanks again Crook and everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,917,400 times
I'm here!!!!
we bought our home in Ridge in 2004. We live in Lake Panamoka which is the most Northeast area of Ridge, right on the border of Wading River & Calverton. Our community has a crystal clear private lake that is owned by our community. We have terrific events like boats races, fishing contests, beach BBQs, and in our clubhouse we host events for the kids like halloween parties & teen night. There is something a little old fashioned about our community that I love. Many of the homeowners spent their summers here in family bungelows & decided to make this their year round home to raise their family. The people here are nice, hardworking and genuine. People walk the neighborhood on nice days, plenty of kids outside playing-people say hello and keep an eye out around the neighborhood. Kids here all learn to fish, swim, sail, kayak, camp, hike at a young age.
No pressure to keep up with the Jones' or anyone else.
Its rustic but I LOVE IT!
As for the rest of Ridge the only area that I find a little less than desirable is the Smith road area right near the Strathmore Condos, they are old & run down & that community has been known to have a high number of rentals & not so savory lifestyles but its truly confined to that specific area.
As for Longwood, I don't have children that attend but all of my neighbors are satisfied-I know many of them are quite involved in district events (which I believe is key anywhere), the kids have terrific school pride, plenty of honor roll bumper stickers.
We have awesome sports teams, lots of clubs & activities. Our budget always passes, our scores are on the same level as Middle Country, Pat-Medford, Comsewogue-sometimes even higher.
Our Fire District doesn't rob us, we have our own substation in my neighborhood.
Our library is amazing.
The area is loaded with beautiful wildlife & we are surrounded by thousands of acres of state & town Forests. We are "the Gateway to the Pine Barrens" so you'll find its generally 3-5 degrees cooler here with a great breeze almost all the time.
Its a very direct route to William Floyd which make gettting to the LIE very easy.
It is 7 minutes from my house to Tanger Outlets or Splish Splash. There is good shopping in both Riverhead & Rocky Point or Shirley, all a short drive. The start of the north fork is also right here, so buying fresh produce or visiting the wineries is simple.
We don't have much retail or industry to speak of in Ridge so the taxes are a tad high, but we greived ours & won two years in a row.
If you have specific questions, please ask!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,109,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I'm here!!!!
we bought our home in Ridge in 2004. We live in Lake Panamoka which is the most Northeast area of Ridge, right on the border of Wading River & Calverton. Our community has a crystal clear private lake that is owned by our community. We have terrific events like boats races, fishing contests, beach BBQs, and in our clubhouse we host events for the kids like halloween parties & teen night. There is something a little old fashioned about our community that I love. Many of the homeowners spent their summers here in family bungelows & decided to make this their year round home to raise their family. The people here are nice, hardworking and genuine. People walk the neighborhood on nice days, plenty of kids outside playing-people say hello and keep an eye out around the neighborhood. Kids here all learn to fish, swim, sail, kayak, camp, hike at a young age.
No pressure to keep up with the Jones' or anyone else.
Its rustic but I LOVE IT!

As for the rest of Ridge the only area that I find a little less than desirable is the Smith road area right near the Strathmore Condos, they are old & run down & that community has been known to have a high number of rentals & not so savory lifestyles but its truly confined to that specific area.
As for Longwood, I don't have children that attend but all of my neighbors are satisfied-I know many of them are quite involved in district events (which I believe is key anywhere), the kids have terrific school pride, plenty of honor roll bumper stickers.
We have awesome sports teams, lots of clubs & activities. Our budget always passes, our scores are on the same level as Middle Country, Pat-Medford, Comsewogue-sometimes even higher.
Our Fire District doesn't rob us, we have our own substation in my neighborhood.
Our library is amazing.
The area is loaded with beautiful wildlife & we are surrounded by thousands of acres of state & town Forests. We are "the Gateway to the Pine Barrens" so you'll find its generally 3-5 degrees cooler here with a great breeze almost all the time.
Its a very direct route to William Floyd which make gettting to the LIE very easy.
It is 7 minutes from my house to Tanger Outlets or Splish Splash. There is good shopping in both Riverhead & Rocky Point or Shirley, all a short drive. The start of the north fork is also right here, so buying fresh produce or visiting the wineries is simple.
We don't have much retail or industry to speak of in Ridge so the taxes are a tad high, but we greived ours & won two years in a row.
If you have specific questions, please ask!
Thanks Kelly
Where ya been?
; )

Agreed.

Excellent choice...great QOL.
Terrific value.

Crooks

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We live in Lake Panamoka which is the most Northeast area of Ridge, right on the border of Wading River & Calverton.
A map of the Hamlet of Ridge in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,296,605 times
Ridge is one the few LI communities that hasn't changed much. Fairly solid middle class and blue collar, though the deli at Panamoka Trail and 25 is gearing to illegals and that concerns me. Hopefully the community will set that place straight and take down all those Central American flags (if you live in Ridge you know what I'm talking about).
The Panamoka section is by far the nicest though, nice small homes and lots of trees. Very cozy. Also lots of great nature trails all around and the private lake which is also beautiful. Despite not having a downtown it does have a real sense of community to it. I sure hope it can weather the changes occuring on LI. Down by Taco Bell isnt as nice, I think there's some low income apts there off Smith Road. There's always a crowd getting on the S58 bus over there.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Ridge is one the few LI communities that hasn't changed much. Fairly solid middle class and blue collar, though the deli at Panamoka Trail and 25 is gearing to illegals and that concerns me. Hopefully the community will set that place straight and take down all those Central American flags (if you live in Ridge you know what I'm talking about).
The Panamoka section is by far the nicest though, nice small homes and lots of trees. Very cozy. Also lots of great nature trails all around and the private lake which is also beautiful. Despite not having a downtown it does have a real sense of community to it. I sure hope it can weather the changes occuring on LI. Down by Taco Bell isnt as nice, I think there's some low income apts there off Smith Road. There's always a crowd getting on the S58 bus over there.
If I were you pal I'd be more concerned with Westbarrio these days.

Ridge is doing just fine, dont you worry.

No offense but Bus routes/riders arent really the best way to judge a community.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-12-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,296,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
If I were you pal I'd be more concerned with Westbarrio these days.

Ridge is doing just fine, dont you worry.

No offense but Bus routes/riders arent really the best way to judge a community.

Crooks
Westbarrio...LOL. Should I LOL or

Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM

is this area nice in Ridge?
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/reyesr/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
How is Ridge, NY 11961-10-13-2009-10-41-19  

Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post
is this area nice in Ridge?

I think youre OK

Theres a sober house(no problems) up un 25 by WmF but other than that youre fine.

Youre away from Strathmore Ridge and on the Eastern side by Panamoka.

Kelly?

crooks

Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM

Kelly,
when you say High Taxes you mean around where 10k, 12 k???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island