Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Let me be clear, this year I will be supporting Biancanello. I feel there is finally a candidate better than the Vecchio option. And again, delaying infrastructure improvements (and even going public about disapproving of federally required things like handicap accessible ramps for the libraries) has finally led to a rundown look in town. A town I think deserves better given it is a nice community. It will be interesting to see if the status quo can be overturned. Regarding her not taking a pay raise, the cynic in me sees that as a political move as much as it is a selfless act. Either way it was the right thing to do.

Long islanders looooove incumbents. They are awfully hard to unseat. Vecchio has had a tawdry "mistress" scandal (yet still gets the conservative party line support) and is on record as having put his son into the Water Authority at risk to the community, as seen with the whole Fire Island flap a couple of summers ago. It will be interesting. I am surprised the Republican party has not been able to run out a younger successor by this point. Let the games begin!!
Agreed. All we can do is get the word out. I myself am an independent, and I've had direct dealings with the town. Through my lawyer's efforts, I've learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes, and not so behind the scenes. You really don't know what's going on in the town until you get involved through whatever means or for whatever reason. Unfortunately, the complacent residents of Smithtown will vote for Vecchio on name recognition alone and not because he's the best candidate. Spread the word.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
I just want to say that you are really on top of things here. Kudos to you, good sir.

Oh, and quite frankly, regarding Suffolk, I dont care WHO gets in as long as Levy gets OUT.

Steve Levy is the best thing to happen to Suffolk County since it was founded!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
If you are in no way affiliated with law enforcement or the county workers union (sorry, had to ) I'd be curious as to some of the objective issues you see with Levy. To date I have been reasonably pleased with his stance on cutbacks, etc. His logical approach to not building hiring halls a while back. No politician is perfect but I do not see anything from the opposition that would be compelling for me to remove Levy. He seems miserly to me, and in the current climate that is welcome.
I agree.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Suozzi sucks. I almost miss Gulotta.
I thought things were bad with the Republicans running Nassau, but looking back...it wasn't that bad. Nassau is a complete and total trainwreck at this point.
Democrats blame the mess the Republicans left behind, and the Republicans blame the Democrats because, uh, that's just what Republicans do.
Both parties suck. They are all crooks. I couldn't even get somebody to stay on the phone with me or reply to emails when I was going to run for County exec this year. Not that I would win of course, but it would have been a nice ripple on the lake...ha!

What we really need is a public take over and kick it old-school all George Washington/founding fathers style. The system needs an enema.
I don't even know why I care anymore. Nothing is ever going to change.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Suozzi sucks. I almost miss Gulotta.
I thought things were bad with the Republicans running Nassau, but looking back...it wasn't that bad. Nassau is a complete and total trainwreck at this point.
Democrats blame the mess the Republicans left behind, and the Republicans blame the Democrats because, uh, that's just what Republicans do.
Both parties suck. They are all crooks. I couldn't even get somebody to stay on the phone with me or reply to emails when I was going to run for County exec this year. Not that I would win of course, but it would have been a nice ripple on the lake...ha!

What we really need is a public take over and kick it old-school all George Washington/founding fathers style. The system needs an enema.
I don't even know why I care anymore. Nothing is ever going to change.

13 bond upgrades, and not on the verge of having the state take over our finances .

Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
13 bond upgrades, and not on the verge of having the state take over our finances .
Actually, read this week's edition of the Long Island Press. It seems that Nassau is on the verge of takeover by NIFA. It's apparently worse than when Gulotta ran the county. Same one-shot revenue schemes and property tax refund issues that we've seen before. Nothing much has changed ... except the number of high level administrators working for the County that live in NYC.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Actually, read this week's edition of the Long Island Press. It seems that Nassau is on the verge of takeover by NIFA. It's apparently worse than when Gulotta ran the county. Same one-shot revenue schemes and property tax refund issues that we've seen before. Nothing much has changed ... except the number of high level administrators working for the County that live in NYC.
The projected 09 deficit is about 1/3 of what it was when Gullotta left office, also the fact that much of the current problems is a result of the current economic problems with the lower sales tax revenues. The problems during the Gullotta administration occurred during excellent economic times

Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
aint never gonna be no political messiah in these parts...best you could hope for is a Steve Levy character. Doesn't he have any family in Nassau that could run for exec?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The projected 09 deficit is about 1/3 of what it was when Gullotta left office, also the fact that much of the current problems is a result of the current economic problems with the lower sales tax revenues. The problems during the Gullotta administration occurred during excellent economic times
Actually, the reason that the deficit may be lower is that Suozzi has had massive tax increases in his eight years in office. (There were significantly fewer/smaller tax increases during the Gulotta years.) And yet we're still looking into a fiscal abyss. At least Gulotta can blame his deficit on the fact that Mondello wouldn't let him raise taxes when it was necessary. And Gulotta also experienced a bad economy, too (early 90s.)

The problem with Suozzi's financial house of cards began long before the current economic crisis. He can no longer blame Republicans for his problems, either; he's been the County Executive for almost eight years now. And without NIFA's help, Suozzi would be nowhere.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Nassau needs to get rid of that self-serving weasel Suozzi!!!

I will vote for whoever is against him.

Even if it is a billy goat who can only say, "Naaah!" on its commercials.

Maybe the Republicrats will get a clue that they are supposed to be serving US the People, not special interest groups and businesses who line their pockets if we just keep voting them OUT of office ... and away from the money ... at every election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island