U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,549,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I know Rocky Point is west of the middle island demarcation point....and if you're only including Nassau & Suffolk it's way west, but from where I'm getting on the parkway it might as well be Dutchess County. Honestly, anything past where the SSP ends is "out east" to me.

That's not a bad thing, it's just all about perspective. To people who live in Brooklyn Heights, I'm sure Little Neck seems like an enormous trek and a rural area. To get from Woodmere to Woodbury can take the same amount of time it would to drive from Rocky Point to Orient Point....even though it's more like the distance from Port Jeff to Patchogue (less, actually).

You have to understand that perception of distance is mainly influenced by time....and since there is a massive disparity in population density and suburban sprawl between the counties, a native of Nassau will perceive the ~40 mile trek to north shore Brookhaven as they would driving 40 miles on Route 107 during rush hour. Likewise, it might seem silly to someone who grew up in Suffolk to consider a place like Rocky Point (only 60 miles east of NYC!) to be "out in the country", as opposed to just another suburban enclave amongst many others in the middle of the island.

I work on the road so I'm way out east all the time, but it still feels like a long trip to me. I also get confused when I don't see at least one 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts every half mile and at least 2 gas stations on every corner. The main roads (LIE, Sunrise, 347, Middle Country, etc.) out in Suffolk are also lined with miles of either nothing or pure crap, so it tricks you into believing that the areas you're passing through are much less populated than they really are.

I'm sure people in Queens think Nassau looks like the country, and they might be right...

Case in point: here is what Lake Success looks like from North Shore Towers in Glen Oaks. The Northern State Parkway, LIE, Northern Boulevard and North Shore/LIJ are all lurking in the foreground under those treetops!
All excellent points Sean and great shot.
My only thing is that it seems like LI doesent know what the Country is.

Based on density maps LI is Urban all the way out to 112 and beyond.
There are very few areas on the island where homes are built on 2+ acres or have horses or chickens or cows.

LI lives in an illusion of the country as it desperately prays for its time machine and ******* about the traffic and taxes.

Stupidly LI refuses to make any inprovements in infrastructure or density out of fears or urbanization and "the they" (as in "if you build it they will come:aka, brown people very sad).
When I think of LI I think of that snake eating its tail.We havent lived in the country in a long, long time.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 PM

3,148 posts, read 4,686,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Little by slowly Karl.

Its taken some work, but Rocky Point has come a long way in pretty a short time, theres still room for improvement..but were on it.

Thanks for noticing.

Crooks
Rocky Point is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was years ago, and props to it's residents for sticking it out and slowly but surely turning things around. Good example for many communities if ya ask me.
However, with the way things are going here on LI, it's going to be one hell of an ongoing task to not only move foward, but to retain the positive changes so far. The urban rejects migrating east will certainly leave a path of destruction if not kept in check. I still don't understand it, the whole concept of trying to escape your current quality of life woes and moving to a new found paradise and then turning it into everything you left behind. Makes no sense. Sadly, I believe most of Suffolk will one day suffer the same fate as Nassau.

You got a hidden gem Crooks. Keep it that way. I wouldn't brag anymore how good RP is, then every idiot and their brother will be moving in and ruining everything. I would be telling everyone RP is the pits and to avoid it at all costs. Heh heh! Bikers and Bungalows right? You betcha!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Rocky Point is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was years ago, and props to it's residents for sticking it out and slowly but surely turning things around. Good example for many communities if ya ask me.
However, with the way things are going here on LI, it's going to be one hell of an ongoing task to not only move foward, but to retain the positive changes so far. The urban rejects migrating east will certainly leave a path of destruction if not kept in check. I still don't understand it, the whole concept of trying to escape your current quality of life woes and moving to a new found paradise and then turning it into everything you left behind. Makes no sense. Sadly, I believe most of Suffolk will one day suffer the same fate as Nassau.

You got a hidden gem Crooks. Keep it that way. I wouldn't brag anymore how good RP is, then every idiot and their brother will be moving in and ruining everything. I would be telling everyone RP is the pits and to avoid it at all costs. Heh heh! Bikers and Bungalows right? You betcha!
All excellent points Karl and I believe Suffolk isnt far behind Nassau at all.
Thats why now, more than ever Nassau needs to lead by example and embrace this New Suburbia if is to survive.
I think Suozzi is right on with his Cool Downtowns initiative. I was recently in Farmingdale and I was delighted by what I saw.
I still think theres plenty of charm left in Nassau but there has to be a better way to deal with the traffic and taxes.

As for RP its hard to play offense and defense at the same time...but were trying.
Were happy with what we have here and seem to be attracting folks from better towns up island.
(Will the last young couple from Northport please turn out the light?)

Peace,

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I know Rocky Point is west of the middle island demarcation point....and if you're only including Nassau & Suffolk it's way west, but from where I'm getting on the parkway it might as well be Dutchess County. Honestly, anything past where the SSP ends is "out east" to me.

That's not a bad thing, it's just all about perspective. To people who live in Brooklyn Heights, I'm sure Little Neck seems like an enormous trek and a rural area. To get from Woodmere to Woodbury can take the same amount of time it would to drive from Rocky Point to Orient Point....even though it's more like the distance from Port Jeff to Patchogue (less, actually).

You have to understand that perception of distance is mainly influenced by time....and since there is a massive disparity in population density and suburban sprawl between the counties, a native of Nassau will perceive the ~40 mile trek to north shore Brookhaven as they would driving 40 miles on Route 107 during rush hour. Likewise, it might seem silly to someone who grew up in Suffolk to consider a place like Rocky Point (only 60 miles east of NYC!) to be "out in the country", as opposed to just another suburban enclave amongst many others in the middle of the island.

I work on the road so I'm way out east all the time, but it still feels like a long trip to me. I also get confused when I don't see at least one 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts every half mile and at least 2 gas stations on every corner. The main roads (LIE, Sunrise, 347, Middle Country, etc.) out in Suffolk are also lined with miles of either nothing or pure crap, so it tricks you into believing that the areas you're passing through are much less populated than they really are.

I'm sure people in Queens think Nassau looks like the country, and they might be right...

Case in point: here is what Lake Success looks like from North Shore Towers in Glen Oaks. The Northern State Parkway, LIE, Northern Boulevard and North Shore/LIJ are all lurking in the foreground under those treetops!
FWIW Sean,

A similar view can be had froma doorman bldg. on Central Park West but I dont think were in Kansas anymore.

Crooks

Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,041,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
All excellent points Sean and great shot.
My only thing is that it seems like LI doesent know what the Country is.

Based on density maps LI is Urban all the way out to 112 and beyond.
There are very few areas on the island where homes are built on 2+ acres or have horses or chickens or cows.

LI lives in an illusion of the country as it desperately prays for its time machine and ******* about the traffic and taxes.

Stupidly LI refuses to make any inprovements in infrastructure or density out of fears or urbanization and "the they" (as in "if you build it they will come:aka, brown people very sad).
When I think of LI I think of that snake eating its tail.We havent lived in the country in a long, long time.

Crooks
Hey Crooks, I'm glad you understood that post....cuz I just re-read it and it sounded like it was written by some rambling, stoned idiot trying to explain how colorblindness is a government conspiracy.

Again with my rambling, though.....if LI is urban in density out to 112, it's only because the rest of the country we live in is so rural and those maps are colored to reflect that. By comparison to Westbumbleufck, KS I'm sure Medford would seem like a small metropolis.....not that I've ever been to Kansas...

EDIT: See post in "Urban Rejects" thread...

Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Hey Crooks, I'm glad you understood that post....cuz I just re-read it and it sounded like it was written by some rambling, stoned idiot trying to explain how colorblindness is a government conspiracy.

Again with my rambling, though.....if LI is urban in density out to 112, it's only because the rest of the country we live in is so rural and those maps are colored to reflect that. By comparison to Westbumbleufck, KS I'm sure Medford would seem like a small metropolis.....not that I've ever been to Kansas...

EDIT: See post in "Urban Rejects" thread...
Spot on.

Crooks

Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM

2,350 posts, read 3,470,299 times
Crooks,
From where in Mt Sinai RP/MP/SB area do you get the best view of the bluffs ? Can you just park your car nearby and walk to a beach ? Do you need to be a resident ?
I'm in the area this weekend.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM

You can go to the bottom of Hallock landing and walk east.

It's private but off season.

Best,

Crooks

Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,875,263 times
Two words gentlemen: PRIVATE MESSAGE.

I see Crooks gave Zulu a job.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM

8,825 posts, read 9,714,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Two words gentlemen: PRIVATE MESSAGE.

I see Crooks gave Zulu a job.
OMG, LMAO. Didn't even catch that at first.

Really, gentlemen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island