Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM

149 posts, read 345,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I think what they meant was:

I live in Mastic Beach and my daughter goes to the William Floyd Paca, Our community is filled with a lot of hard working and very good natured people.
One would have to be terribly mistaken and not at all intelligent to call it a slum, and as such has probably came from a background devoid of brotherliness and passion for ones human counterparts.
It is insulting and uncalled for when some people speak badly of an area where good people live without knowing the people or the area that they speak of, I believe they may do it in an effort to comfort themselves due to they're own unhappiness or lack of fulfillment in they're own lives.
I pity these people as they're hearts are cold
and they're lives meaningless.
LOL LOL LOL ohhhhhhhhhhh thats the best LOL when I read the original post I thought the same thing LOL maybe the poor soul can learn for the correction and possibly go back to kindergarten for grammer help. And they dont see why people call the area full of uneducated people !!! pr for you my friend Im still laughing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
besides sometimes people do get the wrong Idea about an area, a few years back there was a guy slaughtering animals in his living room and worshiping the devil in the pit in Northport.
does that make it a bad area? I thought so till I lived in Northport and found out how nice it really was.
When I was growing up Kings Park had a bad rap,
I didn't want to live near the loonies and the dirtbags in Kings Park
Kings park is beautiful
Huntington is beautiful I lived there for years and in Huntington Bay also, on soundview drive. absolutely beautiful area, Huntington Village ( just to give pequaman something to do ) is a beautiful area...you go two miles south near the train station behind All Weather Tires and it's one of the worst parts of the Island.
they shut down my old elementary school because of gang violence...
you can be in a nice area...that's right near a bad area
it doesn't make the whole area bad.
So when people ask the question...
Why does Mastic Beach and Shirley have a bad rap?
I would say that 20-30 years ago there were some bad decisions made
the area hit rock bottom in the mid eighties
has been struggling to recover from it
but still has nice areas with bad pockets.
it has true natural beauty and a ton of potential
it is an old community and as such needs renovation in some areas.
but a slum? no
a crappy hole? no
drug infested? maybe... but no more or less than any other area I've lived in.
I once wrote a thread a long time ago on this forum about how I helped Suffolk county and the Huntington bay police crack down on one of the biggest drug rings in Suffolk county and 3 of the dealers lived in Huntington bay and bay hills areas.
If you don't think it's in your area too...your naive.
it is! its everywhere.
There are many good families and hard working folks here in Mastic Beach
I was raised in Huntington and Bay Hills, I lived in Northport and loved it, loved Bay Hills, Loved Huntington "Village"
And I love it out here in Mastic Beach.
it isn't the hell hole people make it out to be
face it...your wrong.
just because your taxes are higher and your house cost more doesn't make your area better.
but if it makes you feel better, then that's what counts!
South Central Los Angeles gets 300 days of 85 degree weather with barely any humidity. Just because an area is beautiful doesn't mean it is a good area.

It's great that a lot of people defend Mastic/Mastic Beach/Shirley, it shows that a lot of people care. However, statistically WF doesn't hold up well compared to other neighborhoods on LI. Every area has their village idiots, their crooks, and a bad element. It's just that your area has more of it

BTW, I'm not someone who lived his whole life in Northern Nassau County. I went to WF, worked in the area, and have family that still live there. I wouldn't recommend anyone walk around Mastic or Mastic Beach, let's put it that way!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
South Central Los Angeles gets 300 days of 85 degree weather with barely any humidity. Just because an area is beautiful doesn't mean it is a good area.

It's great that a lot of people defend Mastic/Mastic Beach/Shirley, it shows that a lot of people care. However, statistically WF doesn't hold up well compared to other neighborhoods on LI. Every area has their village idiots, their crooks, and a bad element. It's just that your area has more of it

BTW, I'm not someone who lived his whole life in Northern Nassau County. I went to WF, worked in the area, and have family that still live there. I wouldn't recommend anyone walk around Mastic or Mastic Beach, let's put it that way!
I walk around and ride my bike through Mastic Beach almost every day, this area is perfectly safe... I feel completely secure. Nice scenery too. But if you say it's a bad area then it must be true

Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 AM

131 posts, read 300,165 times
Quote:
I walk around and ride my bike through Mastic Beach almost every day, this area is perfectly safe... I feel completely secure. Nice scenery too. But if you say it's a bad area then it must be true
Does that include Neighborhood Road after the sun sets? If so, then you must know how to flash the local gang symbols.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Does that include Neighborhood Road after the sun sets? If so, then you must know how to flash the local gang symbols.
Please I grew up there and walked all over. Still have all my limbs and no bullet holes.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
A lot of times you don't see the drugs on your streets if you live in a higher income area because the higher income earners and their children get their money from other places and don't have to stand on the corners selling drugs but they sure use them and the same vices in the lower income are present there such as prostitution, gambling,alcoholism etc. Money or where you live doesn't change the fact that you are human and all tend to call the kettle black as a rule.Most of the larger issues with drugs are in the so called better areas.They are harder to detect.They have to be they have much to lose.So be careful, in that million dollar house you don't really know how your neighbor got his, or where his minions are, probably on the poor side of town
With the mobile revolution there are few street corner drug dealers. If your area still has them it's got a problem.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
actually I live 6 blocks from the water, and 4 blocks from Neighborhood road, down near where it ends by the William Floyd estates, I do night riding all the time. It's a nice quiet, pleasant area. Down past the fire house as you get closer to William Floyd Parkway maybe it gets a little seedy, but there are bad pockets in almost every town.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
You should ride your bike by the Shirley Motel at about 3am and tell me about how great an area it is. Stop by the nice guys sitting on their couch on the front lawn on Patchogue Ave between Mastic Rd and Roberts St. Say hi to Supreme (he was one of the biggest dealers on LI). But, don't tell the police that sit at the Mastic firehouse kitchen looking down on his house.

However, the police won't do much of anything in the area. I can't blame them, when I was a kid my neighbors saved the life of a female police officer that was beaten to a pulp by a bunch of gang bangers. Every one of my parent's neighbors were robbed, some multiple times. When I graduated HS six girls were pregnant in Woodhull. That's the school that teaches only 6th graders. I had 800 classmates for my 9th grade graduation, only 500 in 12th grade. Let's not even talk about the reservation, abandoned homes, Singing Mary, Drug Rehab for HS credits, or the three friends I lost to violent crimes.

Everyone wonders why you can get a 3 bedroom house for 150k. I can't imagine?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,967 times
........if your family tree doesn't fork............

Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 30,927 times
The home values in the area should speak for themselves i think... No? Living in Brookhaven Hamlet for 3 years, and having to shop in that shopping center on the corner of William Floyd and 27A was proof enough for me to avoid the areas surrounding. It was the ONE place my husband didnt like me going alone at night and for good reason. I think if DSS would stop using the area as a dumping ground then maybe they could clean it up a bit. But even then, Some places are just too far gone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island