Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Please don't exaggerate. First of all, Baldwinsville is way out there, but still has some very nice areas. If they were smart, they should have gone with places like Onondaga Hill, Fayetteville, Manlius, Cicero, Clay, Camillus or Westvale, among others.

Also, there are jobs, it just depends on what your skill set is.

Lastly, the cost of living is going to vary due to many factors like population and so on. Taxes aren't as bad as people are telling you too. It's all a matter of perspective.
Look, I think Bville is decent but paying 6-7k a year in taxes on a house you couldnt sell for 125k is pathetic.

Especially when the schools are weaker than Wm Floyd.
Thats just smells of corruption.

No offense.
JMHO

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Look, I think Bville is decent but paying 6-7k a year in taxes on a house you couldnt sell for 125k is pathetic.

Especially when the schools are weaker than Wm Floyd.
Thats just smells of corruption.

No offense.
JMHO

Crooks
Where the heck did you get that from? That's a darn lie. Baldwinsville has good schools.

Also, you have to put the two areas into proper perspective.

By the way, the taxes vary by town and sometimes where you live in that town too. Like i said, they should have done more research if they didn't like where they are, as you can find many areas with nice homes and good schools in the area.

Lastly, the Syracuse area has one of the best housing markets in the US. So, I don't know what they are telling you, but it sounds like a bunch of bull.

Here's information for both school districts:
B'ville: http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...ict-profile/54

William Floyd: http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...ct-profile/391

Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Where the heck did you get that from? That's a darn lie. Baldwinsville has good schools.

Also, you have to put the two areas into proper perspective.

By the way, the taxes vary by town and sometimes where you live in that town too. Like i said, they should have done more research if they didn't like where they are, as you can find many areas with nice homes and good schools in the area.

Lastly, the Syracuse area has one of the best housing markets in the US. So, I don't know what they are telling you, but it sounds like a bunch of bull.

Here's information for both school districts:
B'ville: Test Scores for Baldwinsville Central School District | GreatSchools

William Floyd: Test Scores for William Floyd Union Free School District | GreatSchools

I stand corrected.
Wm Floyd really does suck.

That may even be worse...how can do account for the worthless property values in Bville then?
(Affordable Housing Market, yes. Best...not so much)

Cant blame it all on the snow.

Look were way OT, why are you trolling our board?
Are you looking to move to Mastic? Its about twice as much as Bville.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected.
Wm Floyd really does suck.

That may even be worse...how can do account for the worthless property values in Bville then?
(Affordable Housing Market, yes. Best...not so much)

Cant blame it all on the snow.

Look were way OT, why are you trolling our board?
Are you looking to move to Mastic? Its about twice as much as Bville.

Crooks
This is my last comment on B'ville/Syracuse area, the whole Syracuse area is like this. Where I live in the Northern suburbs, I only had to pay 2100 for taxes on a 87k house w 1300 sq ft.(not including basement) in a good school district. My house isn't a shack, but it isn't a Mcmansion either. It's a matter of looking at the area itself and while Syracuse itself has seen better days, all isn't lost in that city and the area is not bad at all. It's all about the cost of living. B'ville is a nice suburb in the area, with a range in affluence. Here's some info. on that area, if you want to look at it: WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
Radisson Community
Baldwinsville Central School District
Welcome to Van Buren (http://www.townofvanburen.com/public_documents/index - broken link)
THE TOWN OF LYSANDER NEW YORK
The Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce
baldwinsville, ny - Google Maps

BTW- http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ket_ranks.html
and a good place to look for homes: http://www.cnyrealtor.com/findahome

Alright, enough of that.

Actually, I'm not trying to troll. My thing is this, why do people on L.I. "diss" certain communities, when if you look at the big picture, wouldn't be so bad in most parts of the country? So, I'm just looking for the motivation behind the reputation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This is my last comment on B'ville/Syracuse area, the whole Syracuse area is like this. Where I live in the Northern suburbs, I only had to pay 2100 for taxes on a 87k house w 1300 sq ft.(not including basement) in a good school district. My house isn't a shack, but it isn't a Mcmansion either. It's a matter of looking at the area itself and while Syracuse itself has seen better days, all isn't lost in that city and the area is not bad at all. It's all about the cost of living. B'ville is a nice suburb in the area, with a range in affluence. Here's some info. on that area, if you want to look at it: WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
Radisson Community
Baldwinsville Central School District
Welcome to Van Buren (http://www.townofvanburen.com/public_documents/index - broken link)
THE TOWN OF LYSANDER NEW YORK
The Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce
baldwinsville, ny - Google Maps

BTW- Syracuse housing market ranks high in new report on economies of 100 largest metropolitan areas | News from The Post-Standard -
and a good place to look for homes: #1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM

Alright, enough of that.

Actually, I'm not trying to troll. My thing is this, why do people on L.I. "diss" certain communities, when if you look at the big picture, wouldn't be so bad in most parts of the country? So, I'm just looking for the motivation behind the reputation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bville is a nice affordable Suburb.
I have family near there who have "Locked into an experience" alright but they are VERY eager to come home to LI.
Folks are a little quicker on the uptake, better healthcare, schools jobs culture etc etc etc.

Theres nothing wrong with it...its just not LI.

Listen one of my FAVORITE towns in NY is Skaneateles.
Id love to live there if I could find a job to support it.

As for the knocks on Mastic, everywhere area has its Baltic Aves and its Broadways.

The worst of LI is still better than most of America.
Long Islanders just dont get out far enough to realize it.

Peace,

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Bville is a nice affordable Suburb.
I have family near there who have "Locked into an experience" alright but they are VERY eager to come home to LI.
Folks are a little quicker on the uptake, better healthcare, schools jobs culture etc etc etc.

Listen on of my FAVORITE towns in NY is Skaneateles.
Id love to live there if I could find a job to support it.

As for the knocks on Mastic, everywhere area has its Baltic Aves and its Broadways.

The worst of LI is still better than most of America.
Long Islanders just dont get out far enough to realize it.

Crooks
Pretty much the essence of what I was getting at........

Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Pretty much the essence of what I was getting at........

And Im not slamming 'Cuse locals.
(I love Fayetteville too)

Folks up there are really super nice and smart.
Its LI just moves at an NYC pace.

If you want some info on the area dont hesitate to ask.
There are still some really great affordable towns here.

Best

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
And Im not slamming 'Cuse locals.
(I love Fayetteville too)

Folks up there are really super nice and smart.
Its LI just moves at an NYC pace.

If you want some info on the area dont hesitate to ask.
There are still some really great affordable towns here.

Best

Crooks
I know. That's why I try to take it all in stride. I probably would be more of a Half Hollow Hills, North Babylon, Farmingdale, Baldwin, Manhasset, West Hempstead and maybe Valley Stream type of guy if I lived on L.I.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
i have lived in Shirley for 20 years and i have tried to tell myself over and over "its not that bad maybe im eggaderating" but let me tell you im not. Its kind of hard to be indenial when every time i drive out of my house and onto the william floyd theres some kind of ridiculous scene involving cops or just absurd amounts of traffic to the point of people screaming and cursing at eachother. Not to mention 95% of it is a low class slum area, The problem with Shirley/mastic area is that back in the day, the land was very very cheap..So everyone jumped on buying there because it was near a beach and blah blah. Seemed great! who wouldnt want to live that close to a beach, little do they know the town is probably one of the worst on LI, and would get worse and worse due to the low income people moving in, therefore rapidly increasing the population. Montauk Highway which is known as the "scenic route" is a parking lot in Shirley Mastic, overcrowded with garbage dollar stores and or fast food. Its a mess, the town is getting worse and worse and will never get any better. Now they think there making it betetr by putting an applebees by sunrise!. I can go on and on for days on this peice of ***** town. And once again im not "dissing" this. I lived here all my life and not a day goes by where i dont wish i wasent here. Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:55 PM

162 posts, read 602,060 times
Thanks for posting that as a Shirley resident, I guess that Shirley is that bad although it really didn't look like it from what I saw compared to other areas I've seen like Roosevelt or Mount Vernon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island