Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,584 times

Advertisements

Talk to a eviction attorney.

Do not enter the house, do not change the locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Can't hurt to check out this site:

Landlords, Rental Property & Property Management – Free Law Resources – Nolo (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/landlords/index.html - broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 AM

5 posts, read 8,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
A whole house alone doesnt automatically make it a legal rental. A legal rental has to be filed with the town as a rental home. Correct?

Yes the house is LEGAL...CORRECT on no security will be given back too these people.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 AM

[quote=JustinH;11247746]Talk to a eviction attorney.
I will talk too the eviction attorney, Any suggestions in Li?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Talk to a eviction attorney.

Do not enter the house, do not change the locks.

Please explain why i shouldnt enter the house?
And why i shouldnt change the LOCKS?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 AM

81 posts, read 134,018 times
I would start with a course in basic grammar.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 AM

486 posts, read 2,112,669 times
isn't there a web site where you can put in a bad tenants name so other landlords can be careful to whom they rent to in the future ?

it may not be legal, but it would be most helpful.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Basically the renter has more authority in the home than you do. As another poster said do not change the locks, do not turn off the power or the water. In matter of fact start the eviction process as soon as you get up this morning. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to get somone out of your house. Believe me, my inlaws went through this. It sucks!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I'm not in LI, but I've been a landlord in NY and NC.

This is a scam that tenants have played on people down here in NC and tried to play on us:

They move out, break the lease (without telling anyone -- or even WITH telling you), leave electronics and other belongings that look like garbage to you and me.

The landlord doesn't see them for a while; the tenants don't pay the rent.

So the landlord figures they've skipped town and goes in there and cleans it out, changes locks, and starts to look for a new tenant.

However, the tenant shows up -- even a month or two or three later -- and sees the locks are changed and asks the landlord, "WHERE IS MY STUFF?"

The landlord has disposed of it, of course, because it was garbage.

The tenant then goes to small claims court and says he left $5,000 worth of stuff in his apartment or rental house, and says the landlord illegally seized it. Guess what? HE WINS.

A local rental lawyer told us it has happened a lot.

We had tenants who left old iPODs, computers, and TV -- none of them worked, of course, but who could prove that?

But we didn't take possession of the home. We went through the eviction process and didn't touch the house until it was 100 percent ours, even though it took about two months.

(Then we called up the tenants' employer and gave them a message to tell the former tenants that they left a bunch of stuff at the house and needed to come back and get it and clean it up. And they did! I don't recommend that; we felt safe because we knew one spouse didn't know the other spouse was pulling the scam and would cooperate if nudged.)

So if anyone ever breaks a lease and leaves so much as a paper cup, we will always go through the eviction process. We had to do it a second time and learned a tenant who appeared to have moved out had been living two months secretly in the home and met us at the door with a steak knife. And drunk. We were very lucky to have a very tall and powerful police officer walk in the door first.

You should also take lots of photos of the property every chance you get, too, through the whole process.

Fortunately, we have great tenants now. They are one in a million.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-19-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Wow! I can't believe people are such crooks! Looks like the OP's initial instinct was correct ... don't clean out the house yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I'm not in LI, but I've been a landlord in NY and NC.

This is a scam that tenants have played on people down here in NC and tried to play on us:

They move out, break the lease (without telling anyone -- or even WITH telling you), leave electronics and other belongings that look like garbage to you and me.

The landlord doesn't see them for a while; the tenants don't pay the rent.

So the landlord figures they've skipped town and goes in there and cleans it out, changes locks, and starts to look for a new tenant.

However, the tenant shows up -- even a month or two or three later -- and sees the locks are changed and asks the landlord, "WHERE IS MY STUFF?"

The landlord has disposed of it, of course, because it was garbage.

The tenant then goes to small claims court and says he left $5,000 worth of stuff in his apartment or rental house, and says the landlord illegally seized it. Guess what? HE WINS.

A local rental lawyer told us it has happened a lot.

We had tenants who left old iPODs, computers, and TV -- none of them worked, of course, but who could prove that?

But we didn't take possession of the home. We went through the eviction process and didn't touch the house until it was 100 percent ours, even though it took about two months.

(Then we called up the tenants' employer and gave them a message to tell the former tenants that they left a bunch of stuff at the house and needed to come back and get it and clean it up. And they did! I don't recommend that; we felt safe because we knew one spouse didn't know the other spouse was pulling the scam and would cooperate if nudged.)

So if anyone ever breaks a lease and leaves so much as a paper cup, we will always go through the eviction process. We had to do it a second time and learned a tenant who appeared to have moved out had been living two months secretly in the home and met us at the door with a steak knife. And drunk. We were very lucky to have a very tall and powerful police officer walk in the door first.

You should also take lots of photos of the property every chance you get, too, through the whole process.

Fortunately, we have great tenants now. They are one in a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island