Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am mad. tonight I spent two hours in stonybrook hospital with my 9 year old. His brother was in hospital in pa yesterday and was tested positively with flu, they did a chest xray and were so nice.
Tonight my younger son started getting sick so I brought him to stonybrook. There was NO HEAT in the hospital due to construction ; honeslty, the resident gave us warming blankets. Then the doctor came in and said they do not routinely check for flu, or give tamiflu to healthy children and yes, he probably has the flu. And sent us on our merry way, no chest xray or anything.

Is this flu thing a hoax, or what. I do have insurance, what am I paying for??? How come a small country hospital can do the tests and give us the results on 90 mins when a huge hospital which by the way looks like a hotel now, cannot do the tests.

NO heat in a hospital ; are they begging for trouble. It is 40 degrees outside and no heat or hot water.

What gives ; oh yes its more important to have a starbucks in the hospital than having heat for sick people.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Ok, I am mad. tonight I spent two hours in stonybrook hospital with my 9 year old. His brother was in hospital in pa yesterday and was tested positively with flu, they did a chest xray and were so nice.
Tonight my younger son started getting sick so I brought him to stonybrook. There was NO HEAT in the hospital due to construction ; honeslty, the resident gave us warming blankets. Then the doctor came in and said they do not routinely check for flu, or give tamiflu to healthy children and yes, he probably has the flu. And sent us on our merry way, no chest xray or anything.

Is this flu thing a hoax, or what. I do have insurance, what am I paying for??? How come a small country hospital can do the tests and give us the results on 90 mins when a huge hospital which by the way looks like a hotel now, cannot do the tests.

NO heat in a hospital ; are they begging for trouble. It is 40 degrees outside and no heat or hot water.

What gives ; oh yes its more important to have a starbucks in the hospital than having heat for sick people.

d
I try to stick with St Charles.The care there is awesome.

Although I was in the Burn Unit at USB and they were fantastic.

That things been under construction since the 90s.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-18-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
OK there's no excuse for no heat or hot water in a HOSPITAL! Is Stony Brook trying to be a ghetto hospital like NUMC?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Uh, I'm sorry for your experience there.

I had a horrible experience too. DS cut his foot on glass, it was bleeding EVERYWHERE. So we rush him to SB, gets brought up to peds right away. Wait half and hour, while he is STILL BLEEDING before the physicians assistant looks at him. We are then told he needs an x-rays to make sure there are no more fragments of glass. Wait 45 minutes for an x-ray (still bleeding) come back, and another 20 mintues before they finally stitched him up. And now, it wasn't busy or anything. The fricking billing people made sure to come see us within 5 minutes of us getting there, but a bleeding 2 year old? That can wait close to 2 hours

Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

d
NYS funded hospital vs a small country hospital. NYS cutbacks are trickling down to every aspect of the hospital's operations.

And I will echo Crooks: ST CHARLES ER

I live thisclose to UHSB, but drive the extra 10-15 mins to St Charles.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 PM

175 posts, read 657,248 times
Stony Brook is horrible. If you have a "minor" condition, find a community hospital. If it's a more major condition, make the trip to North Shore/LIJ or Winthrop.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Their ERs aren't so speedy either... though the peds ER at LIJ is great.

Oh: If you have a peds case, and you're not going in an ambulance, don't bother with Syosset or Plainview. They cannot handle anything more than minor peds cases as they don't have pediatrics on site. We got an ambulance ride to LIJ main campus.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 AM

342 posts, read 1,093,721 times
Not having heat really is inexcusable. However, in 99% of cases the flu is just that, the flu. You take tylenol, drink fluids, you are miserable for a few days and then you get better. You go to the emergency room if your fever won't come down with regular motrin/tylenol dosing or you are having respritory distress. You don't go to the emergency room for the flu. You are just exposing your already weakened immune system to more germs and you are exposing every one else to your flu. The small hospital in Pa was happy to take your child's xray (giving your child a dose of xrays he probably didn't need), charge your insurance company and give you the exact inforamtion they could have without doing any of those tests.

The CDC is just figuring out how to deal with the H1N1 strain of the flu. Although they are considering giving tamiflu at the first sign of the flu, they haven't decided that yet. Unless your son was having severe symptons, SB did the right thing. Minus the heat issue, of course.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
You're lucky you didn't go to Brookhaven. Your son would have waited 9 hours to be declared "Dead". You would then have to go to a better hospital just to get his condition upgraded to "Alive".

Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Stony Brook is horrible. If you have a "minor" condition, find a community hospital. If it's a more major condition, make the trip to North Shore/LIJ or Winthrop.

I disagree, the major stuff is fine.

Burn unit is one of the best .

Its really the small picture where they come up short.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island