Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,096,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I lived in a complex of 27 2 family houses. 22 we owned by Asians. I was virtually the only person to say hi to people, shovel snow for others, try to be a neighbor. These people would walk by like I was not there, but they would surely talk to the many familes that lived in their house. When i sold my house, people came out of the wood work...bluntly asking how much I sold it for, how I sold it, and to who...Korean, Chinese? Please, the Koreans looked down at the Chinese and the Chinese didn't like the Koreans. And you're going to complain about me not wanting LI to turn into Chinatown. Give me a break.
I have to agree with this statement. Whenever I go shopping in New Hyde Park, the Indians practically slam the doors on you. They often have no courtesy at all, maybe either because I am not their "color" or maybe they are just rude and have no manners. I have seen it happen to myself EVERYTIME I have shopped there. I have to say that I can totally believe what GCguy wrote and believe he probably experienced just that, as I have with "Indians" in NHP. After an experience like that, I too let the door slam right on them from this point on, I am done 'holding" the door for them just as GCguy is done with living amoungst a culture that really could care less about him. And for myself, maybe it is lumping ALL people into one sterotype, but after having experienced it EVERY time, I have to say that I will now treat them the same way and the one "nice" Indian person who wasnt gonna let the door slam on me will pay the price. So no, I dont want to live in a culture like that.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,900,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2Bhere View Post
I have to agree with this statement. Whenever I go shopping in New Hyde Park, the Indians practically slam the doors on you. They often have no courtesy at all, maybe either because I am not their "color" or maybe they are just rude and have no manners. I have seen it happen to myself EVERYTIME I have shopped there. I have to say that I can totally believe what GCguy wrote and believe he probably experienced just that, as I have with "Indians" in NHP. After an experience like that, I too let the door slam right on them from this point on, I am done 'holding" the door for them just as GCguy is done with living amoungst a culture that really could care less about him. And for myself, maybe it is lumping ALL people into one sterotype, but after having experienced it EVERY time, I have to say that I will now treat them the same way and the one "nice" Indian person who wasnt gonna let the door slam on me will pay the price. So no, I dont want to live in a culture like that.
LOL as an indian myself...I have had that done to me when I visit jackson heights..and I can tell you I havent been there is YEARS...I find it annoying...and have been to edison,nj only two times in almost 10 years.

Its just too irritating that that to witness my own culture having such poor mannerisms..but again....if you travel outside of the NY/NJ....its really rather different....I think what ends up happening is when people are newly immigrant, they seek out their same culture..its almost as though its a safety for them..but unfortunately in their zest for finding comfort in hanging out with people "of their own"..they dont learn the cultures and customs of what is, or who is around them..so they get stuck in this rut. I can honestly say that for the indians that I have witnessed and been exposed to in queens and edison, nj.

They dont want to learn english, the whole apartment complex smells of curry, they dont want to let their kids get "too americanized" for fear of rebellion. You have 20 people crammed into a 5 person space because they have brought up 3 families in "search of a better life" . What cracks me up the most is when I see a child who is born and brought up here...and THEY have an accent!!! LOLOLOL I dont know its just weird...but back home where I am from...you really dont see that...maybe its the architectural landscape...NJ/NY is the only place where I have seen two family or multi family homes and not single family homes..and no I am not living in rose colored glasses..its just the landscape of certain areas. I dont know..its a very difficult issue to get your hands around.

Its just a reminder that their is trash in every culture or ethinicity, there are no holds barred..but I just take offense when an entire population of people are stereotyped that way.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-23-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: change name

Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,649,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiecw View Post
That's putting a positive spin. I'm not naive. I didn't marry someone white to have anyone share my views.You have some serious issues with Asians. But what you did for other neighbors is the same thing I do for all my neighbors, and no one cares here either, and I live in "white" neighborhood.

Well, screw them b/c they're crappy neighbors. You can only do so much.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:36 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,096,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Its just a reminder that their is trash in every culture or ethinicity, there are no holds barred..but I just take offense when an entire population of people are stereotyped that way.
I agree, it is very sad. I repeatedly tried and tried again to be polite, hold doors, etc, and to never get it in return makes one just give up. I am sorry that it upsets you to see your own "culture" act this way, it is unfortunate for you and I do agree, I KNOW that not all are like that, but sadly in that neck of the woods most are.

I think the problem lies when you are too much "anything". Even whites who are born in other countries, such as the Polish people i used to work with. They lived, ate, breathed Poland. Their children were obsessed with Poland, etc. I have seen many Irish immigrants act this way too. When I was dating, I would not date ANYONE who was too much "anything" other than normal and white. Some people go overboard with "culture" and heritage and religion and it can get bothersome if it imposes on the rest of us somehow. That is exactly why I rather not live in areas where I do not see eye to eye with the general population in that area. Differences are not always a good thing, because often we have our own reasons for our likes, dislikes, based on our life experinences and preferences. Does that make sense? But its just my opinion.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,640,495 times
It's not just on Long Island these things go on-it can be anywhere. I have a student on my school bus who's from the Bronx-family moved up to Dutchess a few years back. This kid is a loose cannon-flies off the handle easily. Heaven forbid someone knocks into her seat and it shakes. She's cold cocked two kids in two years-yet is still on the bus because she claims it's racial that she's being picked on-it's the other way around since she flies of the handle easy. She even started today with me because 3 girls sitting behind her bumped the seatback-she told me "she'd have my job because I don't do nothing." She gets very mouthy and acts like it's her given right to be outright rude and tries to intimidate the adults. I am waiting for her to throw the race card at me-I am American Indian-Lakota Sioux-guess who's people have had more of that issue? lol

I am sure her whole outlook is from what she's learned from home and the environment she's moved from. You learn what you live. It's easier to blame others around her and not take responsibility for her own actions.(she got at permanent assigned seat in the front for the last thrown punch) It's going to be interesting to see how this kid behaves in the high school-she's just 13- when going to a school of 4000 and to see how it goes with the attitude. If kids like this don't learn early how to get along with the population and people, it'll be a rough fall someday.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,024,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
You are Asian, and have faced racism all your life? Man, I don't know where you've lived but I bet I'm older and have lived more places and have never seen any racism against asians except by blacks.
By the way, the color of the person who moves in next door does matter if you start looking at crime stats. Be honest now... would you want to live in a neighborhood full of blacks. Bet you wouldn't. Does that make you a hypocrite ??

Jeez, bluemark, I'm going to say something similar to you. I bet I'm older and I don't know exactly where you've lived but I contend discrimination and prejudice against Asians was extremely prevalent in this country up until the late 60s where attitudes in general about race and acceptance started making progress after the civil rights movement. It's much better today but it still exists. So I not only do I understand but can completely believe what sukiecw has said.

Look at what happened to the American citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII. That was an act of racism plain and simple. I know you and others will want to argue that point with me because I've been through this before in other discussions. But if one researches it well and talks to those Americans who went through that process, no other conclusion can be reached. That prejudice against Americans of Japansese descent carried over for many decades after the war.

Subtle prejudice and stereotyping still exist today against Asians as this thread and many others on this board have shown. Look at all those threads in the politics forum about the VT massacre. How purportedly some idiotic bigots would yell at random Asians to "go back to China" as that had anything to do with the gunman's Korean heritage.

Do some Caucasians still have prejudice and racist views against Asians? You bet they do ...again, as these discussions on this message board have shown. With all due respect, bluemark, of all the places you've lived, I can't believe that you've been that observant.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,205,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
You are Asian, and have faced racism all your life? Man, I don't know where you've lived but I bet I'm older and have lived more places and have never seen any racism against asians except by blacks.
By the way, the color of the person who moves in next door does matter if you start looking at crime stats. Be honest now... would you want to live in a neighborhood full of blacks. Bet you wouldn't. Does that make you a hypocrite ??
Yet another example of someone using their own experience to generalize. Don't take it personal but I hate that with a passion. Just because you had a pretty good experience doesn't mean other people don't face racism. Plus just because someone treats you nicely when they see you doesn't mean they won't talk about you or your people behind their backs. It happens all the time.

If you don't think Asians face racism and stereotypes, just look at how they are generally portrayed in the mainstream media. You always see the same stereotypes in tv, film, etc. That is a reflection of society. If that isn't a reflection I don't know what is.

BTW I'm not even Asian.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,649,224 times
Stereotypes are not created out of the blue. It is always based on something.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,024,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Stereotypes are not created out of the blue. It is always based on something.

Perhaps you're right, GCguy. But don't you think it unfair to those who might not fit the stereotype to be judged based upon that particular sterotype whether it be derogatory or not?

Example: A good friend of mine who happens to be Asian, is always assumed to be a whiz at math when in fact he's terrible at it and his grades in school proved it. Or all Asians are excellent students; he just barely got passing grades in school and he studied just as much as the rest of us. He's the nicest guy in the world but just doesn't fit the stereotype that all Asians are good at math or good students. It aggravates him that people so easily put that label on him. Sure, it's not derogatory but unfair nonetheless.

It's the inherent definition of a bigot when one uses sterotypes to judge a whole group of people based upon the perception of the characteristics generally portrayed by that group. In my opinion, anyway.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,900,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Perhaps you're right, GCguy. But don't you think it unfair to those who might not fit the stereotype to be judged based upon that particular sterotype whether it be derogatory or not?

Example: A good friend of mine who happens to be Asian, is always assumed to be a whiz at math when in fact he's terrible at it and his grades in school proved it. Or all Asians are excellent students; he just barely got passing grades in school and he studied just as much as the rest of us. He's the nicest guy in the world but just doesn't fit the stereotype that all Asians are good at math or good students. It aggravates him that people so easily put that label on him. Sure, it's not derogatory but unfair nonetheless.

It's the inherent definition of a bigot when one uses sterotypes to judge a whole group of people based upon the perception of the characteristics generally portrayed by that group. In my opinion, anyway.

Thanks.

--'rocco
Yup can relate..me and some moms were laughing about something and one made a comment of ethnicities and said to me, "Well no one bothers the asians or indians because you guys end up boosting the school district test scores"...okay its NOT a bad comment..but come on..is kind of is..isnt it? I really didnt know what to say at that backward compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island