Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You cannot even compare the level of crime there to other areas, except maybe brentwood on that list.

The bottom line is, it is Not an image problem (as many seem to say) and it is NOT a white-flight problem. If anything, it is a "Common-sense-flight" issue as there haven't been whites in hempstead in decades. It's the hard-working black/latino families that are raising their kids properly that are mostly suffering and looking to flee. It is also that young kids are not disciplined properly and most look up to the gangs.

Actually the Cathedral Gardens area of Hempstead is mixed white and black and it's the one part of Hempstead where you can't tell where Hempstead ends and Garden City begins beyond the street signs saying "Village of." Very nice homes in that area. Does anyone know what homes cost in that area? I'm guessing $500,000 or better but I could be wrong because it's Hempstead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe it never happened to you or someone you know (hard to believe). Google wasn't around then to document all the crime in that area, but you can see from these recent videos it hasn't changed much over the years.

2,600 crimes in hempstead in 2007, many violent crimes. Twenty-Six Hundred.

YouTube - Crime in Hempstead

YouTube - Massive race war erupts at NY highschool 8 sent to Hospital

YouTube - HEMPSTEAD STUDENTS GONE WILD

LOL! Do people get paid for putting these videos on you tube? If they do I'm going to start bringing my recorder Down Port and record drunk Stony Brook students and townies gone wild in Port Jeff village every weekend. I'd probably become a millionaire.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
LOL! Do people get paid for putting these videos on you tube? If they do I'm going to start bringing my recorder Down Port and record drunk Stony Brook students and townies gone wild in Port Jeff village every weekend. I'd probably become a millionaire.
As someone who spent four years at Stony Brook and lived on campus there, I can guarantee it.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
Quote:
Sorry to say, but YouTube doesn't pay you for uploading videos.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:

Rich white kids from Belle Terre and Oldfield rarely make for good youtubing.

While youre at it you should hit up Huntington Village for some more Drunken Lloyd Harbor gangstas

Townies...classic.

Crooks

Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

While youre at it you should hit up Huntington Village for some more Drunken Lloyd Harbor gangstas

Townies...classic.

Crooks

The ones who usually start the fights, gets the most violent, gets kicked out of the bar and because of their demeanor I have at times refused to take them home for fear of my safety are not from those areas. They are usually from Centereach, Rocky Point, Coram, Port Jeff Station, Selden and the Stony Brook campus.

One of the worse scenes was when I was driving down the hill heading towards the ferry and to my right at Billie's a group of over a dozen men come piling out in a nasty brawl. Several men fighting, bypassing the sidewalk taking it into the street, into onoming traffic. Next thing I heard was glass smashing and some of the men running up towards the Gap. I wish I hadn't pass that corner by the Gap, I could have avoided the chaos. Things like this are comon Down Port after 2 AM. Thank G-d for the large police prescence.

You're right watching black people fighting and acting stupid is way more entertaining and scary than watching white people do it. It keeps the evening news ratings up.

Last edited by 1nevets; 09-26-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Townies...classic.

Crooks

If you want I could tell you of another ugly brawl that happened at Tara's Inn. It involved a gun, bikers and from what I heard it started with someone dealing bad heroin from the bar.

If the trash in Centereach, Rocky Point and Coram got drunk in the dive bars of their own towns there would be less of a problem in Port Jeff.

Last edited by 1nevets; 09-26-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
The ones who usually start the fights, gets the most violent, gets kicked out of the bar and because of their demeanor I have at times refused to take them home for fear of my safety are not from those areas. They are usually from Centereach, Rocky Point, Coram, Port Jeff Station, Selden and the Stony Brook campus.

One of the worse scenes was when I was driving down the hill heading towards the ferry and to my right at Billie's a group of over a dozen men come piling out in a nasty brawl. Several men fighting, bypassing the sidewalk taking it into the street, into onoming traffic. Next thing I heard was glass smashing and some of the men running up towards the Gap. I wish I hadn't pass that corner by the Gap, I could have avoided the chaos. Things like this are comon Down Port after 2 AM. Thank G-d for the large police prescence.

You're right watching black people fighting and acting stupid is way more entertaining and scary than watching white people do it. It keeps the evening news ratings up.
AKA the entire surrounding area.

Sounds just like Hempstead.
Good G-d say it aint so.
; )

Guys the point of this thread was to be more about what was the heart of Nassau.
The question is ...can it be again?

Patchogues done it.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 09-26-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,389 times
Quote:
I remember back in the 70's when neighborhoods such as those off Nassau and Baldwin road were mostly white and you did see whites shopping in the village. It is ashame that the resident of Nassau gave up on the centerpiece of the County. Hempstead had and still has a nice diverse housing stock. Why give up on the place? Whites in the city have such a different dynamic with its "ethnics." Today I'm in the Bronx w/ my GF shopping for her new apartment. I'm surprised at how many neighborhoods, streets and apt buildings have a nice mix of ethnics and whites. Residents of the Bronx are proud of neighorhoods such as Pelham Pkwy. On LI the trend of "white flight" still continues. The lack of pride and inaccurate negative perceptions from Long Islanders for towns such as Baldwin or Valley Stream will turn those towns into the next Uniondale or Hempstead. I was in Elmont last week and I noticed that town has just completed its final stage of "white flight." Oh well.
I take it your older than me, but we pretty much have the same observations of LI and now the Bx.

Thing is on LI there isnt a looming police presence and common sense isnt always there. there is also the "Im harder than NYC" atitude that makes things worse.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I take it your older than me, but we pretty much have the same observations of LI and now the Bx.

Thing is on LI there isnt a looming police presence and common sense isnt always there. there is also the "Im harder than NYC" atitude that makes things worse.

LOL! I'm an old geezer at 45.
But what you said is so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island