Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM

748 posts, read 2,886,994 times

Advertisements

I have heard that. But I do not how they compile these statistics. For example,Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed shows that Garden city has a worse crime statistic than New Cassel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Nassau County is constantly rated among the safest counties in the U.S by the FBI.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Please read more carefully. No one said anything about RF having an impact on Hofstra's decline. Hofstra is not in decline.

The subject was that a large mall near the Hempstead shopping district affected Hempstead businesses. You are the one who brought up Hofstra and you conjectured that Hofstra had an impact on the decline of Hempstead and asked when did Hofstra orginate. I answered your question that Hofstra was established in 1937, well before Hempstead even had a large shopping area. You and I both AGREE that RF was not the only contributing factor to problems with Hempstead's shopping district.

Duh, we all know that RF and Hofstra are not in Hempstead. No one said that they were.
I meant to say HEMPSTEAD's decline, not Hofstra...yikes, sorry. Sometimes I think my fingers have a mind of their own.

My point was, malls don't necessarily attribute to downfall of a community. Look at Short Hills, NJ.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
For example,Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed shows that Garden city has a worse crime statistic than New Cassel.
Could this be because crimes committed in the Hamlet of New Cassel are misclassified as occurring in the Village of Westbury because all of the Hamlet of New Cassel has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address?

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:04 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM

In that case, how would you explain this..Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed andModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed . All of these, New Cassel, Westbury and Salisbury have a Westbury-11590 zip ( Unless they consider Westbury as the postal boundaries, and that would include a much larger area than just the village).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Could this be because crimes committed in the Hamlet of New Cassel are misclassified as occurring in the Village of Westbury because all of the Hamlet of New Cassel has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address?

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:04 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,654,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
In that case, how would you explain this.. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed . All of these, New Cassel, Westbury and Salisbury have a Westbury-11590 zip ( Unless they consider Westbury as the postal boundaries, and that would include a much larger area than just the village).
Thanks for the info. You live in New Cassel...I'll stay in Garden City (which numbers are certainly hit by East Garden City). I'll take my chances.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:30 PM

East Garden City has its own Crime Statistics. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I am guessing this is actually respecting Municipal boundaries and is based upon the actual geography ( rather than the postal geography that most seem to think is reality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Thanks for the info. You live in New Cassel...I'll stay in Garden City (which numbers are certainly hit by East Garden City). I'll take my chances.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:02 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM

I actually try to keep away from New Cassel borders ever since I heard about the gang activity. But these crime statistics seem to think that New Cassel is safer than GC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM

23 posts, read 93,937 times
Hempstead I heard some good Hispanic Food Places I've never went to them but I've heard of them

Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricellac View Post
Hempstead I heard some good Hispanic Food Places I've never went to them but I've heard of them
Well, unless you'd like Swine Flu and Stabbing with that I think it should be avoided!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I meant to say HEMPSTEAD's decline, not Hofstra...yikes, sorry. Sometimes I think my fingers have a mind of their own.

My point was, malls don't necessarily attribute to downfall of a community. Look at Short Hills, NJ.
That is true at times, but how influential were the local business districts and the mom and pop shops to the communities surrounding the Short Hills mall? And what kind of impact did the mall have on the surrounding business's at the time? Keep in mind the Short Hills mall is fairly upscale, Roosevelt Field Mall has a much broader appeal and heavily middle-class customer base. The same customer base that use to frequent the Hempstead shopping and business districts.

I do agree a mall might not always negatively effect surrounding communities, in fact sometimes it can greatly help them. However, at times it can hurt them as well, especially in the case of Hempstead. The Hempstead shopping and business district was hurt badly by the mall. They just could not compete with it, and were unable to recover. The shopping and business districts were a vital part of Hempstead's infrastructure, once it collapsed it really hurt the community itself. Combine that with the steering practices of the 60's & 70's and the crack epidemic of the 80's and you have some serious problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island