Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,099,600 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I remember hearing about how people used to go shopping/dining there etc.It was supposed to be pretty nice once.

I drove through there yesterday and it looks worse than Jamaica.
What happened? Was it the mall that killed the retail?

I heard it was Nassaus retail eqivalent of Patchogue back in the day.
(Seems like Patchogues on the mend...is there hope for Hempstead?)

Any oldtimers care to weigh in?

Maybe thats where the Lighthouse shouldve gone?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
My father grew up in Hempstead...this was back in the late 40's-60's. Back then, Hempstead was THE place to be...all the busineses were there, shopping, dining, nightlife. My great-grandpa owned a gigantic fruit store.

I'm not really sure what happened, but Hempstead used to be a great place. When was Hofstra built, just out of curiousity? Possibly had something to do with it's downfall?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My father grew up in Hempstead...this was back in the late 40's-60's. Back then, Hempstead was THE place to be...all the busineses were there, shopping, dining, nightlife. My great-grandpa owned a gigantic fruit store.

I'm not really sure what happened, but Hempstead used to be a great place. When was Hofstra built, just out of curiousity? Possibly had something to do with it's downfall?
I heard it was gorgeous.

Does anyone have any old photos or memories?

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I heard it was gorgeous.

Crooks
Not on the computer but my dad may...next time I see him I will ask and scan for you. I know there def. is one that he has of him as a little kid with my great-grandpa in front of the store. The cool thing is the phone # is done the old way...with the letters.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,555,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I heard it was gorgeous.

Crooks
I recall that, sometime in the late 1950s (March 24, 1958 ???), LIFE Magazine did a special on the Village of Hempstead and Hempstead High School, naming Hempstead the number 1 suburb.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,193,770 times
When I was a pre-teenager, we always would take the bus from Roslyn to Hempstead because it had stores that were open at NIGHT !!!! And, there was a Woolworth with one of those counters where you could get ice cream sodas (35 cents) and a grilled cheese sandwich for 55 cents.
It was fun to walk around its busy streets.
I have not been there in nearly a half of a century. Wow. I feel so old, but that is true......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

22,096 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Hempstead is actually in better shape than it was 10-15 or so years ago, but still obviously no where near what it once was, and has many problems. Something I read awhile back (don't remember where) stated Roosevelt Field Mall opening nearby is what really hurt Hempstead. The local business's, stores, and shops just couldn't compete with the mall and its impact on the local area was hurt deeply by it, as poverty made its way in. Combine that with the crack epidemic that broke out during the mid 80's and the problems which at that point were pretty bad to begin with just got worse. Things have improved somewhat over the years, but it still has a very long way to go and the school system while a little better is still very problematic.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Hempstead is actually in better shape than it was 10-15 or so years ago, but still obviously no where near what it once was, and has many problems. Something I read awhile back (don't remember where) stated Roosevelt Field Mall opening nearby is what really hurt Hempstead. The local business's, stores, and shops just couldn't compete with the mall and its impact on the local area was hurt deeply by it, as poverty made its way in. Combine that with the crack epidemic that broke out during the mid 80's and the problems which at that point were pretty bad to begin with just got worse. Things have improved somewhat over the years, but it still has a very long way to go and the school system while a little better is still very problematic.

Everybody bemoans a deteriorating downtown then they go promptly to the Mall to shop.

Good points.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,708,536 times
could have/should have been White Plains. Instead it became the hood.

It would take a miracle for it to ever get back to what it was.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM

11,537 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Hempstead went downhill a long time ago. Hofstra was established in 1937 and has obviously expanded a great deal, especially from 1980-2000. Hofstra actually has kept that part of Hempstead from getting worse. They used to have student housing in the apartments on Fulton Ave., but they still have some archives/library in a building on Fulton. Roosevelt Field is a contributing factor to the decline of the shopping/business district, but not the sole cause. When A&S closed, that was the last straw. I used to work for the Sam Ash Headquarters in Hempstead, not the store, their main offices and the warhouse. After A&S closed, Sam Ash moved out of there too. The district court and some other courts are still in Hempstead and I guess that helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island