Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM

51 posts, read 115,552 times

Advertisements

Just saw an article in Newsday about a man found stabbed to death in GC on a lawn on Meadow St...crazy
Does anyone know where on meadow st this occurred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooom416354 View Post
Just saw an article in Newsday about a man found stabbed to death in GC on a lawn on Meadow St...crazy
Does anyone know where on meadow st this occurred?
right in front of the blue house.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
Oh boy. I was hoping this would never happen. Southeast GC is going to go nuts at this. The GC police get paid too much to drop the ball on this. They should be practically living on that border and keeping an eye on things. They will be heavily criticized.

For those that don't know, Meadow St. is the border street with Hempstead. There are lovely homes on that street (usually run in the 600's or 700's).

Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
As shocking as this sounds, can we blame the GC police? I know GC residents like to pride themselves on the fact they patrol the border as if it were Iran on the other side (with necessary reason) but absent a round the clock presence, what can be done? There is no Berlin wall and I've always felt that that area could be problematic and when I saw the last name I figured (rightly or wrongly, whatever) he was not a resident. Plus, I seem to recall some blacks were harassed when using GC parks etc., because cops make an assumption that a black or latino in GC likely doesn't live there....so its sorta a catch 22 with the cops..

I hope GC residents step up to the plate. You can't have folks dumping bodies and the like in that area but therein lies the huge problem with GC, an upscale well-to do area surrounded by very iffy areas and the largest mall on Long Island.......of course this isn't the death to the quality of GC life but its certainly a harsh reminder of just how close the border is and well, um, the state of Hempstead as we know it.

Those border streets are very iffy. One thing I notice is there are some residents on the Hempstead side who walk to the Country Life Press station instead of the Hempstead one as it is more convienent and closer. But there is the catch 22 again, the cops can't stop and question every non-white resident walking through...its still a free country.....driving down Washington and crossing from Hempstead into GC has to be one of the starkest of neighborhood contrasts......

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM

I almost bought the house 2 houses down on that street...i ended up buying across clinton by grove on willow street. 1 block in from meadow...I spoke to every neighbor and many many people and they all said there's nothing to worry about and judging by the home prices I'm thinking there wasn't. i still feel safe but we only closed a short time ago. but really it's scary and i think as a result of this, many people will be complaining and there will be MUCH more police activity there.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 AM

TVR1997

I live in GC. I think I once counted 25 cop cars....25...in the police parking lot. We pay our police well. Frankly, they should be parked on Meadow St. all the time in my opinion. Southeast GC is an oasis...wonderful homes, treelined streets, etc. We can't accept having bodies dumped in people's yards there.

I'm not saying we have to have racial profiling, but the police presence has to be stronger. I don't live in the Southeast section, but those people pay 600-800 for houses over there and 13k and up for taxes. Frankly, they deserve better than to have gang wars spilling over into their neighborhoods.

This took place on one of the few cross streets that give Hempstead access to Meadow St. It's not rocket science...you send your police cars to those few access points and keep an eye out.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Ooom...I do still believe your section of GC is safe. Still, this is unacceptable. One damn Sgt in the GC makes 238,000 a yr!! 238,000!! They have immense resources and very little to do in the Village. There is no excuse for not having constant patrols on Meadow at the Hempstead access points.

The Hempstead gangs need to understand that if they step foot in GC, it's going to be trouble.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Ooom...I do still believe your section of GC is safe. Still, this is unacceptable. One damn Sgt in the GC makes 238,000 a yr!! 238,000!! They have immense resources and very little to do in the Village. There is no excuse for not having constant patrols on Meadow at the Hempstead access points.

The Hempstead gangs need to understand that if they step foot in GC, it's going to be trouble.
Are you really surprised?

Folks in Garden City need to undertstand that overpaid police force or not, if they are going to live next to Hempstead, theres going to be trouble from time to time.

Crooks

Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

I completely agree. Everyone I spoke to said that area is OK and some of them have been there for 40 years. we have the cut through street (Boylston) which we are near and that scares me a little but I do think it's OK. a lot of people in that area of hempstead (east of clinton) own their homes and keep them pretty nice. but still..something NEEDS to be done here. I want to feel safe where I live, especially paying that kind of money to live there and the village needs to address this. I think we are in for a lot of changes with that area after this incident, all of which can only make us feel safer. are there any village meetings to discuss this or some open forum thing?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM

25 posts, read 53,137 times
This is totally unacceptable. What do we have to do to keep this crap out? Build a wall? The gang activity is starting to get way out of control in Hempstead and it looks to be spilling over here now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island