Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Yet.

I expect plenty from lucky # 13.

The Baseball Gods are already angry.
Dont taunt them.

Crooks
We have Kate Hudson. A-Rod is cured. She must be damn good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
SIB,

I compared a regular season NFL game on cable to the biggest event in Baseball. If anything, I stacked the deck against football, and they still beat MLB.

If I were to compare the pinnacle of each sport, apples to apples, it would be 100 million viewers to about 14 million viewers. Hell, the Daytona 500 even kicks the World Series tail in viewership.
again, you're comparing a one day event vs. a multi-game series. It's not a fair comparison.

And I'll repeat - NFL was winning the ratings game years before revenues got out of whack in MLB. It's simply a more viewer friendly sport which also happens to attract MANY more gamblers.

Quote:
MLB is getting surpassed now by Nascar. The fact that MLB generated profit is a good thing for the owners, but it is not indicative of a sport going in the right direction.

Baseball is a dying sport that is on the decline and slowly it is being marginalized to only a handful of cities.
Your overstating it. Attendance suggests otherwise.

Quote:
If that standard is fine with you, then so be it. But, I remember a time when baseball was a much more attractive, interesting, and healthier sport.
Let's be honest: you remember a time when the Pirates were much more attracting, interesting, and healthier.

Quote:
As for the Yankees, they really have no excuse for not winning the WS.
in a short series, anything can happen. Since the Wild Card, the team with the best record does not win the WS the vast majority of the time.

Quote:
But, even if they do, their fans will know that they didn't really earn it. They bought it.
Can you tell me where the nearest World Series Store is. Me and a few friends would like to chip in and buy one....lol.

If teams were able to buy a WS, wouldn't the Yankees have won a few more titles these last few years?

Quote:
In other sports, where there is a more level playing field, the best players, scouts, coaches, owners and GMs are rewarded with the trophy. In baseball, sheer money helps to offset those other factors. There's no way of avoiding this fact.
It certainly does help. But it obviously takes more than that to win. The 2001-2008 Yankees are Exhibit A. And how many titles have the Mets, Dodgers, and Cubs won lately? Combined they've won two fewer than the Marlins....

Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The Baseball Analysts: MLB Payroll Efficiency, 2006-2008

Payroll is very important, and you Yankee fans can keep saying it isn't until you're blue in the face, but you're actually the only ones who buy that junk. Look, you're proud of your team, you love to brag about it, but you win because you pay more for players than anyone else, by quite a bit, that's the bottom line. It's not about winning the WS every year, it's about being competitive and vying for the post season every year, and the FACTS, not your anecdotes, show that payroll is a major factor in winning.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The Baseball Analysts: MLB Payroll Efficiency, 2006-2008

Payroll is very important, and you Yankee fans can keep saying it isn't until you're blue in the face, but you're actually the only ones who buy that junk. Look, you're proud of your team, you love to brag about it, but you win because you pay more for players than anyone else, by quite a bit, that's the bottom line. It's not about winning the WS every year, it's about being competitive and vying for the post season every year, and the FACTS, not your anecdotes, show that payroll is a major factor in winning.
have any Yankee fans here actually said that payroll isn't important? Keep arguing with yourself...I think you have a good chance of winning!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:24 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
have any Yankee fans here actually said that payroll isn't important? Keep arguing with yourself...I think you have a good chance of winning!

Someone keeps talking about World Series titles and the fact that some high payroll teams haven't won them in awhile, which they feel somehow lessens the importance of payroll.

It doesn't.

I think we can assume that person is a Yankee fan.

Even fatboy Yankee shill Mike Francess-er came out and admitted it recently: A caller asked "do you feel the ridiculous payroll lessens the accomplishment of getting to the WS, considering the fact that the Yanks bought the 3 most expensive free agents in the offseason?

His answer: "Yes, it does." It took him 15 years to finally admit what everyone else has known all along.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
We have Kate Hudson. A-Rod is cured. She must be damn good

When the Yanks base is overconfident its usually a recipe for disaster.

You should respect, if not fear, the Phils.

They have an amazing club for half the price.

Crooks

Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Someone keeps talking about World Series titles and the fact that some high payroll teams haven't won them in awhile, which they feel somehow lessens the importance of payroll.

It doesn't.
here is something I wrote earlier in the thread: "money is a big factor, but it's not the only one." I stand by that. I also stand by the fact that money doesn't guarantee titles or even playoff appearances.

Quote:
Even fatboy Yankee shill Mike Francess-er came out and admitted it recently: A caller asked "do you feel the ridiculous payroll lessens the accomplishment of getting to the WS, considering the fact that the Yanks bought the 3 most expensive free agents in the offseason?

His answer: "Yes, it does." It took him 15 years to finally admit what everyone else has known all along.
nothing would be lessened or diminished for me simply because I know that winning the whole thing is so hard to accomplish. The Mets paid about $140 million for their disaster of a roster - more than any team except the Yankees. That's $60 million more than 13 MLB teams, and you won't find a single Met fan that would feel a WS championship would be "lessened" in light of those facts.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
did u ever think that maybe the ratings are higher on nfl games because there is ONE game a week per team?? many people watch every game of their favorite team, and even every game thats on local tv for them. because its once a week. baseball teams play 6 or 7 games a week usually, most fans arent watching every game because of this. same with the superbowl vs. the world series. you are talking ONE championship game verses a series of up to 7 games. viewing is going to be more focused on the one game. plus its super bowl sunday, people plan parties and such for it, not because they are football fans. i guarantee the majority of people who watch the superbowl didnt watch 1 whole regular season game.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
When the Yanks base is overconfident its usually a recipe for disaster.

You should respect, if not fear, the Phils.

They have an amazing club for half the price.

Crooks
The Phils although good are not good enough that being said I want to address the ones that say the Yanks bought the WS. The Mets obviously have tried and failed on all levels.

The Yanks are a historic team and a lot of pride goes along with that..that is the "mystique".
The owners own a team to win and that involves the best players and coaches money can buy. Too bad but that is how it goes. If I own a team I won't manage them half-assed. I'm going to invest a lot of capital into bringing home a championship and build a history of committment. And many many players that grow up express that they have wanted to be a Yankee since childhood because of their history of excellence. Not many say they want to be a Pirate, Padre, Royal, even Met. They want to be a Yankee because it is the Pinnacle of Baseball. They want the pinstripes. They want the NY.They wanted it before money was important. Of course the money helps but if two teams offer the same exact contract I would wager almost all would come to NY.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
I am a Yankee fan so Lets Go Yanks.

To address some of the other issues:

Obviously the Yankees have an advantage build in because of all the $$ they spend. A perfect system would be a bit fairer, and you wouldn't have the huge disparities. However, keep in mind that only for the last handful of years have the Yanks been running away with Payroll and they haven't won. During the dynasty years 96-00 (and you can throw in 01) while they were near the top in Salaries they weren't running away with it nor were they always #1 in Payroll. The fact that the Yanks have spent all this $$ in recent years and haven't won, and the Mets have spend a crap load of $$ as well with nothing to show for it shows it isn't everything. In the last few years you have also had a handful of smaller market teams be quite competitive as well. The Rays last year, the Twins are in it most years (though struggle in the playoffs).

As far as baseball''s popularity compared to football. I don't think it has much to do with payroll differences. For starters as has been mentioned football surpassed baseball in popularity before the explosion in Payroll and disparity in the league. Attendence in baseball has been rather strong and was increasing for years despite lower capacity stadiums in most cases till this year (the economic situation likely played a major role in the decline this year. Football has less to follow (far fewer games) has more gambling and fantasy play, and well is a bit more entertaining to most people (myself included though I am a huge fan of both sports)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island