Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM

125 posts, read 252,544 times

Advertisements

Yes, I agree, stability is my main focus right now, thats what Im in the process of doing and Im trying to figure out where the best place would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
you need a job whether it's in LI or AZ or anywhere else. I personally would move where I would have family to help out with the kids. The old fashioned way went out of the window when you got a divorce, also when started living with your soon to be ex-boyfriend. If you can legally leave NY, you should do so. Start applying for jobs, not dream jobs, but any jobs that will help you start generating come sort of income. Your kids will enter college age soon, and they will need any help they can get.
good luck

Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Thank you so much for those best wishes. Im working on my resume now.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM

82 posts, read 189,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum and wonder if you can give me advise. Im a single stay at home mom living off child support and a tenant the past 10 yrs. I recently sold my house and took a loss on it. I am currently living at my boyfriends house but we are on the verge of breaking up. I have 2 boys ages 10 and 7. Im tired of living in Lindenhurst and I cant afford the areas in LI where I want to move. I have a older brother who lives in Prescott, Az and his family lives in Peoria, AZ. They have wanted me to move there for yrs but Im scared that I wont be able to afford there either. I currently get 2100 a month so I would have to base my expenses in AZ on that in case I dont get a job. I know I cant afford LI by myself. If anyone has moved like this before, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Prescott is a very beautiful town and with family and a lower cost of living you could do a lot worse. If I were in your position I would be packing! I live here now for personal reasons otherwise I would be in Sedona. I was born and raised in Tucson and know AZ well. Another nice thing about Prescott is that it has almost perfect weather. It's far enough north so it does not get the scorching heat that Tucson and Pheonix does and it's south enough that you don't get the 200 inches of snow that flagstaff gets. But if at anytime you want either you can hop in your car for a short ride! Someone posted that AZ was bland. That view could only come from someone who does not like the desert and visted southern Arizona.
Good luck to you and be sure to visit Sedona if you end up in Arizona.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Yes, I've been to AZ in April and I couldnt believe how it changed in 10 yrs as well as the phx area. I think I would probably live in Peoria though since thats where my half brothers family is that have kids close to the same age as mine. I think AZ is so beautiful eventhough it has become more crowded, its still so well kept, inc the freeways. I like the fact that Prescott is not that far away. I wont be moving until July when my boys are out of school but its always nice to get such wonderful feedback before you move. Research is key on taking the right steps. I deeply appreciate all the help all of you have given so far.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
you need a job whether it's in LI or AZ or anywhere else. I personally would move where I would have family to help out with the kids. The old fashioned way went out of the window when you got a divorce, also when started living with your soon to be ex-boyfriend. If you can legally leave NY, you should do so. Start applying for jobs, not dream jobs, but any jobs that will help you start generating come sort of income. Your kids will enter college age soon, and they will need any help they can get.
good luck
I agree "old fashioned" with divorce and live in boyfriends doesn't go together. AZ is a beautiful state and since you have family there who are willing to help you, I would go for it.

JMO, if you're going to live with your brother's family I don't think it would bode well if all you did was stay at home. You don't have toddlers.

Getting some type of job, even a low paying one brings in some money.

That is great that you're brother extended that offer, but if I took in a family member who is able to work I would expect to see some effort on their part.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Im not going to be living with anyone and Im not sure how much help I will get from them since my half brother lives in Prescott but comes down to Peoria a lot for his business and to visit his kids and grandkis in Peoria. If I knew I would have help, I would have moved there many yrs ago. I thought my current live in boyfriend would be my new husband but its not working out that way so I want to try and do it on my own but it is hard with young boys who I cant leave alone yet. I would have worked much sooner if I just had some help like so many of my friends have.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
rammie, would you mind if I DM'd you with a similar situation?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM

whats the situation?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Go to the Arizona forum and see what jobs are availablr there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island