Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM

327 posts, read 1,059,694 times

Advertisements

If your dumb enough to leave your wallet in the car you deserve to get it stolen. If you have a garage your better off parking there at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 AM

477 posts, read 1,401,276 times
In east meadow there is a problem too. Several cars on the block have been broken into. They have been going into unlocked cars, no smashed windows here as far as I know. Not that it's any better but at least it's less to worry about.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,388 times
one of my workers's car used to get broken into all the time in hempstead. he finally reached the point where he just left the doors unlocked, to avoid damage to his car. well, one morning he finally caught the guy, sleeping in his car!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
If your dumb enough to leave your wallet in the car you deserve to get it stolen. If you have a garage your better off parking there at night.
Garage is also great for the winter months. I really only use it then.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,614 times
Default Got hit last night...

I live near Jericho....more west, by the Seacrest Diner on Glen Cove Road.

My car was rummaged last night; they opened the console and glove box, cops say looking for GPS…which I didn't have. They didn't take anything, not even the bills I had in the visor!

The one night I didn’t lock and arm my car, they went right. I feel every time I've heard my alarm chirp in the past, that was them checking if the door was open!

Anyone else get hit recently?

Brian

Old 12-24-2009, 07:44 AM

874 posts, read 2,864,759 times
When I lived in Queens, auto break-ins were a major problem. I always did what my father had done and left the doors unlocked and made sure I left nothing inside the vehicle. I actually kept the stock radio in it's place in the dashboard and mounted a "pull out" type underneath the dash ( I of course took the good radio out with me) so that if a thief looked in they would not bother trying to take the cheesy radio. I never had a problem with my car being broken into or anything being taken while doing this.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:13 AM

19,576 posts, read 20,401,433 times
My cousin bought a "Smokey and the Bandit" edition Trans Am brand new in like '78 or '79, I don't exactly remember what year it was, anyway, he lived somewhere in Queens at the time, I think maybe Richmond Hill. My memory is very foggy.
This car got stolen not once, not twice, but an astounding 3 times!
The first 2 times the car was recovered. The third time it was never seen again.
Was definitely joy riders the first 2 times, as the car had only minor damage done, the worst of it being a blown engine the second time, obviously from driving it like it was stolen, which it was.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM

99 posts, read 271,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDIGRAZ View Post
I live near Jericho....more west, by the Seacrest Diner on Glen Cove Road.

My car was rummaged last night; they opened the console and glove box, cops say looking for GPS…which I didn't have. They didn't take anything, not even the bills I had in the visor!

The one night I didn’t lock and arm my car, they went right. I feel every time I've heard my alarm chirp in the past, that was them checking if the door was open!

Anyone else get hit recently?

Brian
You would be surprised how often people check for open cars. Probably every night someone sweeps the neighborhood for open cars. All you need to do is leave it open once, and someone is going to take a look in there. As far as car breakins on rise, I would say they declined since the 90s. I remember if you had an aftermarket stereo it was going to be stolen no matter where you lived. The problem these days is people are leaving very valuable things sitting in their car and not being as vigilant as in the past.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
You would be surprised how often people check for open cars. Probably every night someone sweeps the neighborhood for open cars. All you need to do is leave it open once, and someone is going to take a look in there. As far as car breakins on rise, I would say they declined since the 90s. I remember if you had an aftermarket stereo it was going to be stolen no matter where you lived. The problem these days is people are leaving very valuable things sitting in their car and not being as vigilant as in the past.
So true! The most valuable thing in my car is my car itself. If they want my dirty old smelly socks and some sh*tty 80's hairband CD's, they can have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island