Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFella77 View Post
Basically its a business across from the Roanoake Shopping Plaza on Old Country Road. I havent seen anything that would trouble me but a few posters made comments about how the TJ Maxx across the street in the Plaza is dangerous. It's a block away from Central Suffolk Hospital. There were also a couple who mentioned growing gang activity in the area as well. I have absolutely no experience with the area other than the trips to Tanger.

Like I said I dont know anyone afraid of shopping the 58 corridor.
That IS the retail hub for E LI and I feel safer there than I do at the Middle Island Wal Mart.

Riverheads really not that bad, the schools are just weaker than most in the area.

If youre looking for a home in the area check out Shoreham/Miller Place/Mt Sinai/Rocky Point/Sound Beach and Ridge.

NE Brookhaven is a great place to live.

Good luck

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-31-2009 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:28 PM

9 posts, read 13,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Like I said I dont know anyone afraid of shopping the 58 corridor.
That IS the retail hub for E LI and I feel safer there than I do at the Middle Island Wal Mart.

Riverheads really not that bad, the schools are just weaker than most in the area.

If youre looking for a home in the area check out Shoreham/Miller Place/Mt Sinai/Rocky Point/Sound Beach and Ridge.

NE Brookhaven is a great place to live.

Good luck

Crooks
Do you know of any gated communities or could point me to a place for more info? I've been searching craigslist and found nothing. My wife and I are kinda spooked by all the LI home invasion stories.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,658 times
the majority of LI home invasions, particularly in Northern Suffolk have proven to be targeted by the invaders for a specific reason, like drugs.
I think that is a weird, unusual paranoia to have.
There are lots of gated commuties out here though.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Do you know of any gated communities or could point me to a place for more info? I've been searching craigslist and found nothing. My wife and I are kinda spooked by all the LI home invasion stories.

Ironically the last home invasion story I heard was in a Gated Communiity in Middle Island and the perp was a Cop.
Home invasions are more of a problem closer to the city.

I dont know of any home invasions on the North Shore.
Not saying it couldnt happen but where we live is very safe.
Many eyes on the street etc.

Youre not moving to Compton but if you really need that extra level of security check out Mt Sinai/Miller Place theres a few gated townhouse communities.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-01-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM

60 posts, read 183,020 times
Quote:
It's the strip mall variety BTW. Very concerned about safety first and foremost. heard that there had been a massive armed robbery at the CVS on Old Country Road right next to target a year or two ago.

that shopping center in particular has problems. bad element in that stripmall. accross the road in the staples shopping center is better. dont forget about the construction going on. it will go until late spring 2010. right now its overnight but switching back to days real soon.

plenty of nice areas to live in riverhead..most north of sound ave.

I don't want to scare you...Riverhead is really a great place to live and work. It just has small areas that are not as good as others. That shopping center does have it's share of crime..more than most in the town. The gang activity is on the rise but that in concentrated by the waterfront for now. Stay away from housing anywhere near east main or west main.

Last edited by outofthewoods; 11-01-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post
that shopping center in particular has problems. bad element in that stripmall. accross the road in the staples shopping center is better. dont forget about the construction going on. it will go until late spring 2010. right now its overnight but switching back to days real soon.

plenty of nice areas to live in riverhead..most north of sound ave.

I don't want to scare you...Riverhead is really a great place to live and work. It just has small areas that are not as good as others. That shopping center does have it's share of crime..more than most in the town. The gang activity is on the rise but that in concentrated by the waterfront for now. Stay away from housing anywhere near east main or west main.

Definitely a nice place to work.
I wouldnt want to live there if you have kids in the schools.

As for that shopping center in particular.This is the first Im hearing of any drama. We're out there all the time.

I guess its all relative. If youre an east ender its Compton.
If youre coming from NY its Mayberry.

With that being said it is still the retail heart of E LI.
Rt 58 is where its at if youre looking to tap into that market.

Otherwise you can come up Island a bit.
(Patchogue,Selden,Rocky Point)

Crooks

Old 11-01-2009, 04:53 PM

I didnt say it's compton. It is far from compton..poor choice for comparison. I have no problem going to that sc, but I would never open a business there. the nighttime element is not desireable. just wanted to give the op an accurate picture of the area from someone who spends time in the town, not a sunday shopper. There are much better sc in the town...although the pizza place there is the best in town.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I didnt say it's compton. It is far from compton..poor choice for comparison. I have no problem going to that sc, but I would never open a business there. the nighttime element is not desireable. just wanted to give the op an accurate picture of the area from someone who spends time in the town, not a sunday shopper. There are much better sc in the town...although the pizza place there is the best in town.

Im there 4-5 times a week and have never seen anything that would prevent me from opening a business there

RT 58 may be the only area in Suffolk thats booming right now.(sadly at the expense of Downtown Riverhead).

I think its a great move particiularly if it has the towns best pizza.

Crooks

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im there 4-5 times a week and have never seen anything that would prevent me from opening a business there

RT 58 may be the only area in Suffolk thats booming right now.(sadly at the expense of Downtown Riverhead).

I think its a great move particiularly if it has the towns best pizza.

Crooks
pizza is a good thing.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
pizza is a good thing.
yes it is

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island