U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM

784 posts, read 1,784,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Like I said they PROBABLY meant the BEST SCHOOLS ON LI.
Well he obviously wants his daughter to attend an elite college.

He's going to have a better shot outside of LI, even if it is the best school on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,053,662 times
Any stats to back that up?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Any stats to back that up?
Which of these schools are in LI?

WSJ.com

Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 PM

7,338 posts, read 7,848,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Which of these schools are in LI?

WSJ.com
Aren't almost all of those listed private, charter, or specialty schools? Let me guess, you're another guy who wants to see the money sucked out of public education.

Kinda of silly.

Compare LI public schools to other non-charter public schools around the country, then maybe anyone will take you seriously.

That's right, you're the person saying that NYC schools are great...NYC specialty and charter schools are good, unfortunately, they only service a small percentage of the population, and god help you if you live in those areas and don't get accepted.

I know, let them eat cake. This has been gone over in about a dozen other threads. Comparing schools with selective admissions to LI public schools is either really dishonest or really stupid.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,053,662 times
Point taken but of those colleges only two are "Ivy League". And really they only looked at eight schools. I'd be interested in what a study of the actual "Ivy League" schools would turn up.

And although I'm sure you know, but entrance into these HS does not buy you a ticket to these colleges. I have friends who went to WF and ended up at Brown, et.al. And as 90% of this forum will be more than happy to tell you WF is not the greatest.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,680,927 times
Here is a suggestion.... if the private schools in NYC metro is not affordable.... have any of you considered South Korea or Hong Kong ? Maybe its your best chance !!

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 4,984,730 times
Enough of this school crap already. I say fire a bunch of teachers, slash the budget, lower the property taxes and let the little brats fend for themselves. Schools and education are way over rated anyway. The kids that want to do well, will do well.
If we don't take some of the focus off of education, we'll have no more garbage men, construction workers, fast food employees, janitors, etc...
I just care about saving money right now.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Aren't almost all of those listed private, charter, or specialty schools? Let me guess, you're another guy who wants to see the money sucked out of public education.

Kinda of silly.

Compare LI public schools to other non-charter public schools around the country, then maybe anyone will take you seriously.

That's right, you're the person saying that NYC schools are great...NYC specialty and charter schools are good, unfortunately, they only service a small percentage of the population, and god help you if you live in those areas and don't get accepted.

I know, let them eat cake. This has been gone over in about a dozen other threads. Comparing schools with selective admissions to LI public schools is either really dishonest or really stupid.
If public education cannot produce results, they should not be in business. Did you not watch the video? Attach the money to the child and we will see results. Many of these private schools offer scholarships and financial aid.

That guy wants to send his daughter to the best school - well there are the schools right there. Stuyvesant and Hunter College HS are public schools on that list. Regis High School is free.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Point taken but of those colleges only two are "Ivy League". And really they only looked at eight schools. I'd be interested in what a study of the actual "Ivy League" schools would turn up.

And although I'm sure you know, but entrance into these HS does not buy you a ticket to these colleges. I have friends who went to WF and ended up at Brown, et.al. And as 90% of this forum will be more than happy to tell you WF is not the greatest.
Only two are Ivy League but they are all elite schools.

Here's a list for Harvard / Yale / Princeton:

http://www.auap.com/prepschoolclass.html (broken link)

Entrance to those HS does not buy a ticket to those colleges but the chances are much much much much much higher.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Here is a suggestion.... if the private schools in NYC metro is not affordable.... have any of you considered South Korea or Hong Kong ? Maybe its your best chance !!
Wrong answer. NYC private schools give scholarships and financial aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island