U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM

28 posts, read 91,250 times
Default Suffolk Apartment Complexes

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or heard any good or bad things about the following Suffolk apartment complexes that I am looking at. I'm not worried about pets or school districts or anything like that, just the general area and quality of the complexes.

The ones I am looking at are:

Devonshire Hills - Hauppauge
Fairhaven Apartments - Nesconset
Lake Grove Apartments - Lake Grove
Setauket Knolls - South Setauket
(Fairfield) Maple Gardens Apartments - Smithtown
Fairfield at Smithtown - Smithtown

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 AM

305 posts, read 612,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebv View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or heard any good or bad things about the following Suffolk apartment complexes that I am looking at. I'm not worried about pets or school districts or anything like that, just the general area and quality of the complexes.

The ones I am looking at are:

Devonshire Hills - Hauppauge
Fairhaven Apartments - Nesconset
Lake Grove Apartments - Lake Grove
Setauket Knolls - South Setauket
(Fairfield) Maple Gardens Apartments - Smithtown
Fairfield at Smithtown - Smithtown

Thanks
Devonshire has been good to us so far, would be interested in hearing anything about them as well. We move here recently and would like to stay for at least another 2 years

Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 91,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Devonshire has been good to us so far, would be interested in hearing anything about them as well. We move here recently and would like to stay for at least another 2 years
Devonshire is a little more expensive than the rest, but it looks like a nice one, although you wouldn't know it from the reviews on apartmentratings.com

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 4,316,836 times
Quote:
Devonshire is a little more expensive than the rest, but it looks like a nice one, although you wouldn't know it from the reviews on apartmentratings.com
You have to take that site with a grain of salt. Some write actual objective reviews and give their honest opinion, others are disgruntled and just rip them a new one and others are done by the staff of the complexes to get the ratings up. I usually don't trust posts that say "100% perfect, I would recommend anyone to move in, everything is awesome, perfect, etc....." Yes you can have a very good place, but not everything is perfect nor do I trust posts that say "do not move here, stay away, you're in hell" and not state what is wrong with the place.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:37 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,526,917 times
Quote:

Pretty much every complex gets bad reviews on there...most of the people commenting are those with an axe to grind..the people with positive experiences tend not to bother saying anything.

Honestly though, with almost any big apartment complex, expect them to ********* out of just enough of your security deposit that you won't bother to take them to court. Consider a good chunk of that money gone when you write the check that is not coming back. That's what leads many people to get angry...I know I did when my wife and I moved out of our first place. We had lived there for over 2 years...of course the carpet wasn't going to be pristine...we took our shoes off whenever we were home and they still nailed us for like $250 for the carpet..that's a standard thing they do to everyone.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM

2,351 posts, read 3,533,366 times
The complex I live also does the same. I moved within the complex and they ripped me of with $750 for a 6-7 year old carpet that was not in very good shape even when I moved in.... and they take a re-decorating fee of abt 300 bucks from me as I was leaving and also from the new renter who was moving in. They charge a 250 bucks admin fee for extending your lease for short term (1-2 months).... per extension. I will be moving out of this place soon hopefully....

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
The complex I live also does the same. I moved within the complex and they ripped me of with $750 for a 6-7 year old carpet that was not in very good shape even when I moved in.... and they take a re-decorating fee of abt 300 bucks from me as I was leaving and also from the new renter who was moving in. They charge a 250 bucks admin fee for extending your lease for short term (1-2 months).... per extension. I will be moving out of this place soon hopefully....
This is the kind of stuff that leads to bad reviews...you should have taken them to court over that $750.

For future consideration, when renting: take pictures of everything, especially anything that shows wear and tear on the day you move in. Let the mtc staff know when they come at the end of your stay that you have pictures and will take them to court over anything that they try to charge you for.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is the kind of stuff that leads to bad reviews...you should have taken them to court over that $750.

For future consideration, when renting: take pictures of everything, especially anything that shows wear and tear on the day you move in. Let the mtc staff know when they come at the end of your stay that you have pictures and will take them to court over anything that they try to charge you for.
I might do it this time when I leave.... is this the peoples court in Riverhead ?
How much time do you think I'll have to take off from work for this ?
Assuming I'll win the case I will give it some consideration. But if I lose then I'm in big trouble as I'll probably lose another 500-750 bucks taking off from work !!
This is probably what they use to exploit the renters. If it was a matter of $2-3K, then everyone would be going to court !!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I might do it this time when I leave.... is this the peoples court in Riverhead ?
How much time do you think I'll have to take off from work for this ?
Assuming I'll win the case I will give it some consideration. But if I lose then I'm in big trouble as I'll probably lose another 500-750 bucks taking off from work !!
This is probably what they use to exploit the renters. If it was a matter of $2-3K, then everyone would be going to court !!

That's exactly it..they find the 200-700 "sweet spot" to stick it to you where you won't bother to go to court. Lowlives.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That's exactly it..they find the 200-700 "sweet spot" to stick it to you where you won't bother to go to court. Lowlives.
Its probably the same concept as the dealer or service station who says the tail light or brakes or whatever have failed the NYS Emission test !! what do you want to do ?
That reminds me I have to go for my auto service this week.... always scared when I see the guy coming towards me earlier than the 1 hour mark !! Owning a depreciating asset sucks big time !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island