Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times

Advertisements

Its coming up on the end of my one year contract with Terminix, and I'm wondering whether to renew or look for a different exterminator.

When we closed on the house last year, the sellers paid for the contract because of active termite activity during inspection. We had one incidence of "swarmers" but nothing else. Supposedly Terminix came and checked the baiting system but I never saw them do it. I have no idea whether there is still any active termites.

I don't want to do nothing but I'm not sure I want to stick with Terminix since they haven't really done much. The one time I spoke with them, they told me it takes at least a year for the bait to work anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions for other termite companies that you've had good experiences with?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Its coming up on the end of my one year contract with Terminix, and I'm wondering whether to renew or look for a different exterminator.

When we closed on the house last year, the sellers paid for the contract because of active termite activity during inspection. We had one incidence of "swarmers" but nothing else. Supposedly Terminix came and checked the baiting system but I never saw them do it. I have no idea whether there is still any active termites.

I don't want to do nothing but I'm not sure I want to stick with Terminix since they haven't really done much. The one time I spoke with them, they told me it takes at least a year for the bait to work anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions for other termite companies that you've had good experiences with?

Thanks!
My advice is not to use bait systems. They take too long to work. The 'bait' at first is not poison. When the company comes to check the traps, they are looking for activity in the trap. "If" they see any, then they place the poison in the trap. Then you must wait for termites to return to that trap, take the poison back to the colony, and await death. AND, if you did not have termites already, you will. The traps hold something that is attractive to the termites so your neighbors' termites will come over to your house to party! Yuck.

Get a one-time treatment. It kills the termites and you're done for the year, hopefully.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post

Get a one-time treatment. It kills the termites and you're done for the year, hopefully.
That's what I wanted originally but none of the companies would do it. They all said that they just use the bait. By all, I mean Orkin, Terminex, etc. Any ideas about who would do the one time treatment?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
That's what I wanted originally but none of the companies would do it. They all said that they just use the bait. By all, I mean Orkin, Terminex, etc. Any ideas about who would do the one time treatment?
I'll get you some names/numbers.....

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
I'll get you some names/numbers.....
I would like to know the answer too. Please DM me names/numbers if you do not want to post here.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I would like to know the answer too. Please DM me names/numbers if you do not want to post here.
You got it!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 PM

87 posts, read 270,473 times
Same here, Please!

Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSyce View Post
Same here, Please!
Same here too. Thanks.

I have some existing bait traps outside the house. Anyone know how much it will cost to have them refilled?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
I have a lot of buggs inside the house, we are going crazy..we need some big time help...we use almost everythinbg,,

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedamou View Post
I have a lot of buggs inside the house, we are going crazy..we need some big time help...we use almost everythinbg,,
Are the bugs concentrated in 1 room or all over the house? Call a pro if is the latter. Have you tried the mouse glue pads? I have a lot of bugs in my basement and you will be surprise how many bugs are caught by the pads. I no longer have bugs jumping all over the place when I enter the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island