Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 AM

294 posts, read 879,137 times

Advertisements

For how long is your current listing agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
Wow... see what I mean?? I received more information from you guys than my agent! It should not be this way! To answer some of the questions and replies I received:

My agent DOES have a key to our home.
While we were on vacation in August, the office called our cell phones to set up appointments and we in turn had to locate some family member to let the appointments into the home. I made several calls to her at times when there was not a family member available and her reply to me was "I am busy today (which is the usual answer) but no worries! I will tell them to call the office to reschedule when you family members can let them into your house." WHAT???

We made a HUGE mistake by not interviewing several agents before signing. We went with the agent that sold us the house. We felt that she treated us fairly and was supportive and would do the same again. We were on the other end of the sale though...

Even if it is normal to have one agent present.... the other things that go on such as not returning calls, not getting feedback in a timely manner, not relaying that feedback to us AT ALL unless we call her for it, not being here when I asked her if she could be here (my baby was not feeling well)she refused by saying I didnt have to do anything but sit on the couch with the baby, etc.

Another thing that irks me is the fact that other homes within a 5-10 block radius that were sold were in our price range - why wasn't our home shown when they were looking at the other homes? Sounds strange but all the homes in my neighborhood are basically the same floor plan and look, so it makes sense.
Buyers are fickle and will not wait around like your agent is expecting them to do and make special trips and appointments to see houses. They will just go on to the next house which is available to be seen immediately. Since there are so many homes for sale these days, buyers can do this even more easily than in the past. The thing with the houses in your neighborhood being very similar makes it worse. If your agent isn't getting buyers in to see your house on a timely basis, it doesn't matter to them, because there's other houses very similar to yours in your neighborhood they can look at and yours will be forgotten quickly. In the situation where you were away and she had a key to your home, her expecting your relatives to show your house at some time in the future instead of her doing it herself with the potential buyers who were from her own real estate office was ridiculous. If anything, if she were that busy, she should have given the keys to another agent in her office to show the house right away while the buyers had the time to look at it. Perhaps she was too cheap to share the commission with anyone and thought it would be more in her interest to let non-salespeople like your relatives show the house for her. (I am assuming the buyers your relatives showed the house to were sent alone with no real estate agent from what you write.) However, if the buyers were not from her real estate office, but had a salesperson from a different office, then why didn't the other salesperson pick up the key from her? Was she too busy for that transaction too?

There are some agents that go after the seller's side of the business and then they know that even if they do zip, if it is on MLS, another agent is likely to sell it and the listing agent is guaranteed to make money for doing nothing. Sounds like you got one of those. If she is not the real estate broker of the office, complain to the real estate broker and ask to be let out of the contract early for non-performance. If she is the real estate broker, complain to the NY Dept. of State about how she is running her business.

She is not doing her job if she is expecting your relatives to show the home to potential buyers. Not by a long shot.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Buyers are fickle and will not wait around like your agent is expecting them to do and make special trips and appointments to see houses. They will just go on to the next house which is available to be seen immediately. Since there are so many homes for sale these days, buyers can do this even more easily than in the past. The thing with the houses in your neighborhood being very similar makes it worse. If your agent isn't getting buyers in to see your house on a timely basis, it doesn't matter to them, because there's other houses very similar to yours in your neighborhood they can look at and yours will be forgotten quickly. In the situation where you were away and she had a key to your home, her expecting your relatives to show your house at some time in the future instead of her doing it herself with the potential buyers who were from her own real estate office was ridiculous. If anything, if she were that busy, she should have given the keys to another agent in her office to show the house right away while the buyers had the time to look at it. Perhaps she was too cheap to share the commission with anyone and thought it would be more in her interest to let non-salespeople like your relatives show the house for her. (I am assuming the buyers your relatives showed the house to were sent alone with no real estate agent from what you write.) However, if the buyers were not from her real estate office, but had a salesperson from a different office, then why didn't the other salesperson pick up the key from her? Was she too busy for that transaction too?

There are some agents that go after the seller's side of the business and then they know that even if they do zip, if it is on MLS, another agent is likely to sell it and the listing agent is guaranteed to make money for doing nothing. Sounds like you got one of those. If she is not the real estate broker of the office, complain to the real estate broker and ask to be let out of the contract early for non-performance. If she is the real estate broker, complain to the NY Dept. of State about how she is running her business.

She is not doing her job if she is expecting your relatives to show the home to potential buyers. Not by a long shot.
Could not have said it better myself.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM

100 posts, read 326,394 times
unfortunately 6 months.... that brings us to the end of February before we are able to terminate...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
unfortunately 6 months.... that brings us to the end of February before we are able to terminate...
Not necessarily....if you want, DM me

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Thankfully, I have one of the most awesome agents in the world.
Too bad it took me 3 or 4 other suck ones until I found her.
And, we had originally sought her out because she had worked for our family before, but could not locate her because she had moved onto to a few different brokers over the years. Then in a real strange twist of fate, a few days before our listing with another broker was going to expire, who comes walking up my driveway looking to solicit my business? yup. And she did what no one else was able to do in almost 2 years, she sold my house within a few months.
When we put our current house on the market this spring we feel very relaxed, secure and confident knowing who will be working for us.
Selling a home sucks. It is a miserable experience, especially if you have the wrong person working for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island