Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 14,561 times

Advertisements

My family an I are looking into buying a ranch in the W section of Coram. My youngest child is 18, so school district isn't an issue for us but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the area. What is the ethnic mix? Re-sale value? Any trouble? ANY information would be extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma11 View Post
My family an I are looking into buying a ranch in the W section of Coram. My youngest child is 18, so school district isn't an issue for us but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the area. What is the ethnic mix? Re-sale value? Any trouble? ANY information would be extremely helpful!

Can you splurge for South Setauket?

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
The overwhelming majority of Coram is typical middle class suffolk County. I see many deals in Coram, especially for 4 bedroom houses which generally demand a premium.
Coram is similar to Selden/Centereach regarding trafffic, property size, etc so if that's what you are looking for, you're there.
I had many friends from the "W" section. It is typical Coram, no particular worries.
South Setauket (I thought that Greenspan fella explained there is no South Setauket?) is a few miles west. I lived in South Setauket for 5 years and it's very similar to Selden, Centereach, Coram and Setauket. You can drive around these neighborhoods and not know exactly which hood you are in; they all look the same. IMO, Coram is a tad easier to get in and out of simply because you have more access from points south.
The SD is not relevant as you noted and contrary to perceived logic, has not impacted resale at all in any of these neighborhoods.
Before it even comes up...Gordon Heights has no impact on the W section at all.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
I have driven through that area as I am house hunting too. It is a nice area, though I can't say anything about the ethnic mix. Re-sale, hard to tell with this economy but it seems to be a better part of Coram. I have not viewed any trouble there, but keep in mind I have not done a Friday or Saturday night drive through.

Would I consider that area? Yes, if I could find something that I want and that is reasonably priced.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
The overwhelming majority of Coram is typical middle class suffolk County. I see many deals in Coram, especially for 4 bedroom houses which generally demand a premium.
Coram is similar to Selden/Centereach regarding trafffic, property size, etc so if that's what you are looking for, you're there.
I had many friends from the "W" section. It is typical Coram, no particular worries.
South Setauket (I thought that Greenspan fella explained there is no South Setauket?) is a few miles west. I lived in South Setauket for 5 years and it's very similar to Selden, Centereach, Coram and Setauket. You can drive around these neighborhoods and not know exactly which hood you are in; they all look the same. IMO, Coram is a tad easier to get in and out of simply because you have more access from points south.
The SD is not relevant as you noted and contrary to perceived logic, has not impacted resale at all in any of these neighborhoods.
Before it even comes up...Gordon Heights has no impact on the W section at all.
Same exact house and builder.
Three Village or Longwood?

Hmmmm

If South Setauket is roughly the same price ...do the right thing go 3V investment wise.

As for access youre right on Nicolls Road so Zilla must be confused with another area.

Im not a huge fan of South Setauket: aka North Centereach (love the S Section in Stony Brook)but it surely blows the doors off of anywhere in Coram and its relatively drama free.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Thank you for your help..I drove through today with my daughter and it looks beautiful. My wife is concerned because she's heard bad things about Coram in general, but from the looks of it the W section seems really nice and as I said, I have no young children to worry about.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your help..I drove through today with my daughter and it looks beautiful. My wife is concerned because she's heard bad things about Coram in general, but from the looks of it the W section seems really nice and as I said, I have no young children to worry about.
...and shes right.

Trust me look North.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't mean to sound racist, but my biggest concern really is the ethnic mix. any insight?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to sound racist, but my biggest concern really is the ethnic mix. any insight?
Neither did I.

Race is the least of your problems.

Go spend a day at the local stores on RT25/112
Its packed with misfits from the halfway/sober houses.

Coram has its own drama to contend with which you cant blame on the Neighbors.

3V is a much safer bet.
Some diversity too...much less poverty.

No free rides on LI, you get what you pay for.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
The problem is Gordon Heights. This area is south of 25 in Coram (part of it is also in Medford) and brings down Coram. North of 25 in Coram is good, especially the W section. So there you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Most of Coram goes to Longwood School District which is deemed not the greatest but its not the worst from what I hear of those who have kids in there. Since the school district is of no interest to you, that is one less worry on your part.

I live in Coram already and I am north of 25 and it is a nice quiet area where I am. But now I'm in the market for a home and yes we would consider north of 25 in Coram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island