Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is better known as the dman72 principle.

Thanks for your diligence.

All posters, please do not use my ideas without adding proper citations via footnotes, thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
I grew up in Western Pennsylvania. If you like a slower and more quiet type of life, then you are better off leaving the NY metro area. This is a fast paced and very tough environment (even outside of the city). Everytime I hit the road, get in line at the store, or board a LIRR train, it is a bit of a battle. That battle can wear on you if you don't have the time and place to really unwind.

However, there is a fine line between frenetic and boring. Be careful you don't move to a place with nothing...no culture, no outlet, nothing interesting to do beyond going to TGIF.

The NY area certainly doesn't have a monopoly on exciting and interesting things to do. But, it really does offer something for everyone. It's hard to bottle that atmosphere and take it elsewhere.

In the end, I think the American Dream of growing up in your dad's town or your grandfather's town and making a better life for your family is gone. People are much more mobile nowadays and generations do not normally stay in the same place (unless you are in Europe). So, if you move, that is quite normal.

I really enjoy LI, and I hope more young people and young couples decide to stay and make it an even better place. Unfortunately, we have two things going against us. 1) NY State and LI don't do enough to attract exciting cutting edge businesses to our area and 2) Our government on a local level is so corrupt that it will be almost impossible to ever cut back on our insane taxes.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I can't deal with the slowness outside of this area. I travel quite a bit on business and I can't stand how people putz around down South. I get so impatient. I know it's not a good trait but I guess it is ingrained in me spending my whole life in NY. I also like being so close to NYC and being able to get all sorts of things at a moments notice. And do things most people dream of doing on a moments notice as well. I will most likely never move outside of the immediate Tri-State area.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I grew up in Western Pennsylvania. If you like a slower and more quiet type of life, then you are better off leaving the NY metro area. This is a fast paced and very tough environment (even outside of the city). Everytime I hit the road, get in line at the store, or board a LIRR train, it is a bit of a battle. That battle can wear on you if you don't have the time and place to really unwind.

However, there is a fine line between frenetic and boring. Be careful you don't move to a place with nothing...no culture, no outlet, nothing interesting to do beyond going to TGIF.
I think access to the internet and a major airport lessen how much you can be cut off from the rest of the world as you would have say 50 years ago.

I've grown up in this environment, but I'm sick of being tailgated, people driving like maniacs with no regard for other peoples lives, nevermind courtesy, having people try to sneak to the open register when it the light goes on, the sneaky and unethical business practices that are the NORM in this area, etc, on top of how expensive it is. Everyone is a wannabe slickster. I don't know, maybe I don't belong here. Some days I'm fine with it, some days I think someone is going to get pulled out of their Infiniti Q35/SUV by their blow out/bleached blonde bimbo haircut and pummeled.

J/K.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:

The NY area certainly doesn't have a monopoly on exciting and interesting things to do. But, it really does offer something for everyone. It's hard to bottle that atmosphere and take it elsewhere.

In the end, I think the American Dream of growing up in your dad's town or your grandfather's town and making a better life for your family is gone. People are much more mobile nowadays and generations do not normally stay in the same place (unless you are in Europe). So, if you move, that is quite normal.

I really enjoy LI, and I hope more young people and young couples decide to stay and make it an even better place. Unfortunately, we have two things going against us. 1) NY State and LI don't do enough to attract exciting cutting edge businesses to our area and 2) Our government on a local level is so corrupt that it will be almost impossible to ever cut back on our insane taxes.
I think a lot of governments are corrupt though...

Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Dman,

That's a good one.

I think the bottom line is this....if you don't work in the city and/or visit there often to take advantage of what it offers, there really is no point to being in Long Island.

Water, beaches, wineries, and state parks can all be had elsewhere for much less money and hassle.

If you do really love to enjoy the city, and yet still value somewhat of a quiet suburban life, then LI is great. I fall into this category.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:

Good post.

As far as the part that I emphasized, it's one of the biggest reasons we are going. NY is unbelievably unfriendly to small business (that's the way this whole country seems to be headed though) with the MTA tax being the latest catastrophe. I don't know what the future of LI is, but it's not going to be built with the sweat equity of small business owners. The tax environment makes it impossible, all because politicians can't find any way to save money, so they raise it by implementing new taxes. People will say "I don't care because I don't own a small business" but eventually they'll get everyone. They got the homeowner's a long time ago.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Dman,

That's a good one.

I think the bottom line is this....if you don't work in the city and/or visit there often to take advantage of what it offers, there really is no point to being in Long Island.

Water, beaches, wineries, and state parks can all be had elsewhere for much less money and hassle.

If you do really love to enjoy the city, and yet still value somewhat of a quiet suburban life, then LI is great. I fall into this category.
Tourist alert.

Crooks

Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think a lot of governments are corrupt though...
Jdawg--I hear you. I've lived in New Orleans, and I know Chicago is really bad. California is pretty bad too. But, aside from those, local governments tend to be more efficient than what we have here.

My best friend lives in New Hampshire...40 minutes from Boston. He pays no sales tax, no state income tax, and his property taxes are very low. His kid's public school is very good, the police do fine, and the firemen put out fires.

It's really not that difficult to run an orderly and efficient state and local government. You just need to clean out the scammers and slimeballs. Unfortunately, here in NY, they are on both sides of the aisle.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think access to the internet and a major airport lessen how much you can be cut off from the rest of the world as you would have say 50 years ago.

I've grown up in this environment, but I'm sick of being tailgated, people driving like maniacs with no regard for other peoples lives, nevermind courtesy, having people try to sneak to the open register when it the light goes on, the sneaky and unethical business practices that are the NORM in this area, etc, on top of how expensive it is. Everyone is a wannabe slickster. I don't know, maybe I don't belong here. Some days I'm fine with it, some days I think someone is going to get pulled out of their Infiniti Q35/SUV by their blow out/bleached blonde bimbo haircut and pummeled.

J/K.
you read my mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island