Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Religion causes more problems than it solves though. Think about how many fights and wars and things were started over religion? It's not worth it to me. To each her own...
Wars aren't started by religion. They are started by humans who crave power and misuse religion as a tool to achieve their gains. Big difference.

For example, the core message of Christ was pure peace and love. That was twisted at points in history to achieve political and economic gain. That doesn't mean the message itself was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
God is pretty freaking violent in the bible, but that's for another thread. Regardless, as it relates to this thread, some of us don't want to live in places where religion will be pushed in our faces every day.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:07 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Twingles,

I hate to lose good residents of GC, but I understand where you are coming from. I'm basically in NY because my work took me here, and my wife really wouldn't live anywhere else because she wants to be an easy flight away from London. So, we are hear for the long haul.

I clearly don't believe we get our "bang for our buck" here when it comes to taxes. Our village better do something soon, or we will price more good families out of here. We can't afford to rubber stamp school budgets every year and pay our meter maids 80k a year. I wish more people were active in local govt. I think I'm going to start going to more of those Village meetings and getting into some shouting matches with our elected leaders
You should, because they count on people not showing up at those meetings!

The whole school bond issue is a prime example. Homestead is over-crowded, so they want to put on addition. The simple solution is no-cost - move the in-district dividing line further west (it's currently Kensington, it should be no further east than Nassau Blvd). They talked about doing just that 4-5 years ago but it was met with extreme oppposition (can't say I blame parents - if I lived on Kilburn I wouldn't want my kids schlepping over to Hemlock either). But really, it's so much more cost-effective. Can you believe when we bought our house Hemlock wasn't even open?! People need to stop popping out the kids here!

Well, if you have to live on LI, you picked the best place.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
I disagree. My wife and I live, work, shop, and do everything in Long Island. While I love to visit the city, with a family and young baby in tow, I now go to Manhattan 2 times a year. I visit family in Westchester a lot more than I visit manhattan. When I was single and living in the suburb, it was 2 times a week.

My point is, Long Island ( Nassau + Suffolk) has 3 million people. Its as populated as conneticut, and there are plenty of kids events and other activities to keep us busy that we do not miss the city now.

Quote:
Dman,

That's a good one.

I think the bottom line is this....if you don't work in the city and/or visit there often to take advantage of what it offers, there really is no point to being in Long Island.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM

100 posts, read 326,394 times
Hey Twingles... are you moving to the Providence community?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I disagree. My wife and I live, work, shop, and do everything in Long Island. While I love to visit the city, with a family and young baby in tow, I now go to Manhattan 2 times a year. I visit family in Westchester a lot more than I visit manhattan. When I was single and living in the suburb, it was 2 times a week.

My point is, Long Island ( Nassau + Suffolk) has 3 million people. Its as populated as conneticut, and there are plenty of kids events and other activities to keep us busy that we do not miss the city now.

WJFM,

I understand what you are saying. I think my point was that there are other very nice typical suburban areas of the US where taxes are much lower and schools are still very good. Therefore, if you factor the city out of the equation (and perhaps family ties here), it really doesn't make a lot of sense to be paying this LI premium to live here.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Manhatten is way over rated.
We are all brainwashed into thinking it is the be all end all.
It's not.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
I don't have an option right now because my wife and I have fantastic jobs here. But places like Round Rock (Austin, TX) have large beautiful homes for 250k and 3k a year in taxes. From what I hear, salaries are not very different and the school district there is pretty good. If my wife and I were both offered similar careers in Round Rock.. we would probably move. But the chance that both of us getting equivalent jobs there seems dim.

I moved here from Westchester. Before I knew Long Island was in my future, I was looking at Chappaqua for buying a home. I was getting an equivalent school district here (Jericho) for half the taxes and homes prices were also lower, so relatively, Long Island was great value compared to Westchester. But I still think Westchester has a better quality of life, though you pay for it.

Quote:
WJFM,

I understand what you are saying. I think my point was that there are other very nice typical suburban areas of the US where taxes are much lower and schools are still very good. Therefore, if you factor the city out of the equation (and perhaps family ties here), it really doesn't make a lot of sense to be paying this LI premium to live here.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post

Sure there are a lot of people on LI that never set foot in Manhattan and do just fine.

I know some LI'ers who are actually scared to go "into the City" even for sightseeing and marvel at how "brave" I am to work in the City.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sure there are a lot of people on LI that never set foot in Manhattan and do just fine.

I know some LI'ers who are actually scared to go "into the City" even for sightseeing and marvel at how "brave" I am to work in the City.
That's ridiculous! NYC is one of the safest cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island