Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 PM

22 posts, read 94,899 times

Advertisements

Consider both are rentals, a small 2 bedroom cottage in the historical district of Roslyn? Or, the Archstone apartments in Westbury?
Both are the same price, the roslyn home is totally new inside, while the Archstone is a new modern gated community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Roslyn, without a doubt. Love going to the duck pond.

I hate apartment complexes with a passion.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Roslyn. The archstone is in such a congested area!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,520 times
I agree with Roslyn - I do not like apartment complexes either

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City

Located at 1299 Corporate Drive, the Archstone is in East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

About a year ago, or so, there were reports in NEWSDAY about a very severe mold problem at the Archstone.

For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City:

East Garden City is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the south by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Village of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead and the Village of Garden City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Garden City have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Westbury, NY 11590", "Uniondale, NY 11553" and "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I've got nothing against apartment complexes, and Archstone is extremely nice (well, aside from the whole MOLD incident...) but I'd go for a cottage in Roslyn over almost any other apartment on LI!! I'd love to live up there right in the village.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM

189 posts, read 632,911 times
The Archstone is another example why nothing gets done the right way on Long Island. Instead of placing it in the middle of an already congested area, it should of been build near a downtown so the people that live there can walk to stores. It's basically down the block from a target, but you need to get in your car to get there. it's horrible!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 96,355 times
Roslyn is such a quaint town. I would choose Roslyn without a doubt.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts
The Archstone is pretty nice, but that's an awful area.
They should have at least built a land-bridge over towards the Mall Area over there.

Also that particular Archstone needs to lower its pricetag about $500 per unit, since it is -REDICULOUSLY- expensive for a so-so area, in a less-than-stellar school district. As previously stated- it IS located close to some of Nassau County's best- however COMPLETELY inacessable without driving anywhere (and being stuck at some SERIOUS lights and nasty uncontrolled intersections *cough* *cough* *corporate drive*).

Realistically I guess it would depend on where you work and if you need a quicker commute into Manhattan. Also if you want a bigger place should factor in- I'd imagine the Archstone might be a bit bigger than a small cottage plus has some top notch amenitites.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawan View Post
Roslyn is such a quaint town. I would choose Roslyn without a doubt.

About 9 out of every 10 places with a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address (3,496 acres) are NOT in the Village of Roslyn (381 acres), and one out of 15 are NOT in the Town of North Hempstead.

Places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address that are not in the Village of Roslyn are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor, the Village of East Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Village of North Hills, the Village of Flower Hill and the Village of Old Westbury.

Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Roslyn, NY 11576" ZIP Code postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas separated by the "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577", the "Albertson, NY 11507" and the "Manhasset, NY 11030" ZIP Code postal zones.

A map of the Village of Roslyn in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island