U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 4,171,045 times

Advertisements

It's toward the end and not directly in front so it hasn't really bothered me day-to-day but it has been there for months and he's just taking advantage of the space. I believe I saw the guy once, go into the house diagonal from mine. The car never moves, maybe once it moved up a bit - is there anything legal I can do about it? These aren't mother/daughter houses where you can rent out to someone.

I called the town and they said they have no jurisdiction over the streets which makes sense... they said to call the cops... I do that and a cruiser came by and peeked at the car for a few moments, then turned around and drove off without even trying to talk to me or ask me anything. Registration/inspection stickers are still good. The dark paint has obvious dirt on it from fallen leaves and whatever else - like I said, has been there for months, sitting under a tree.

I can tell they were trying to avoid raising any flags since at first they were parked exactly between my property and my neighbors (I have an irregular lot size/shape). Now it's moved up a bit and obviously in front of my property. The vehicle is no newer than a '97 but in decent condition other than the dirt.

What's supposed to happen here? I know streets aren't mine, but the fact that there are so many spots on the street and it's left exactly there for so long, something should be done. Anyone know the code/law?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,964,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's toward the end and not directly in front so it hasn't really bothered me day-to-day but it has been there for months and he's just taking advantage of the space. I believe I saw the guy once, go into the house diagonal from mine. The car never moves, maybe once it moved up a bit - is there anything legal I can do about it? These aren't mother/daughter houses where you can rent out to someone.

I called the town and they said they have no jurisdiction over the streets which makes sense... they said to call the cops... I do that and a cruiser came by and peeked at the car for a few moments, then turned around and drove off without even trying to talk to me or ask me anything.

What's supposed to happen here?
If the car has no plates the town will remove it.

Crooks

Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM

3,270 posts, read 4,899,349 times
If everything is legit, and it is parked legally, there isn't too much you can do about.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,982,841 times
Quote:

I called the town and they said they have no jurisdiction over the streets which makes sense... they said to call the cops... I do that and a cruiser came by and peeked at the car for a few moments, then turned around and drove off without even trying to talk to me or ask me anything. Registration/inspection stickers are still good. The dark paint has obvious dirt on it from fallen leaves and whatever else - like I said, has been there for months, sitting under a tree.

I can tell they were trying to avoid raising any flags since at first they were parked exactly between my property and my neighbors (I have an irregular lot size/shape). Now it's moved up a bit and obviously in front of my property. The vehicle is no newer than a '97 but in decent condition other than the dirt.

What's supposed to happen here? I know streets aren't mine, but the fact that there are so many spots on the street and it's left exactly there for so long, something should be done. Anyone know the code/law?

It's legal to park a registerd and insured vehicle in the street, yes?
Maybe the guy doesn't drive much?
Like you said, the streets aren't yours.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,445,695 times
That guy should be parking in front of his own house. I had a neighbor whose tenants use to park their jalopy in front of my house. Of course, it was totally legal. What was illegal was the apartment they rented. I simple note to the neighbor about their ILLEGAL tenant parking in front of my house ended the problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,219,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks
There is a car on my street, rusting at the seams, hasn't been moved in a year, now with no plates and expired reg/inspection, cops were here looking at it this week and it's still rotting on the street. It's about 5 houses down so it doesn't affect me but it sure looks ugly.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 PM

15,792 posts, read 16,787,192 times
Quote:

If you have seen the person who (rarely) drives the car, why not go and talk to him about this and tell him you are not comfortable with this car perpetually being an addition to the view in your front yard and ask them to rotate the car around to different spots on the block.

You can also mark the day on your calendar when those expire. Then call the police. But they will probably not tow, but only give a ticket.

Asking us for codes and laws is futile as the codes and laws are different everywhere for each township, village, etc. PLUS they can be different for specific streets. On my street, there is a part where you are not allowed to park between 7am and 7pm, including weekends and holidays; a part where on weekdays you are not allowed to park more than 2 hours between 9 am and 5 pm (we're walking distance to LIRR so they want to dissuade commuters) PLUS you cannot park on the street overnight between certain hours (2am to 5am or something like that), so he would be SOL if he lived near me!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM

959 posts, read 1,388,356 times
Yeah, we have the 2am rule in GC as well. Any car on the street after 2am will get nailed.

I swear...there must be little old ladies that stay up at night to especially call these cars in and bust people because the streets are completely clear every night

Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Status: "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" (set 27 days ago)

9,057 posts, read 10,424,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Yeah, we have the 2am rule in GC as well. Any car on the street after 2am will get nailed.

I swear...there must be little old ladies that stay up at night to especially call these cars in and bust people because the streets are completely clear every night
I left my car overnight when we first moved here and got ticketed. The registration was my old address.

Since then I've left it out by accident and not gotten a ticket. I think if you live in GC and/or the address matches they give the benefit of the doubt.

THat said, my neighbor's soon moved back in with her (divorce, I guess) and his car is outside constantly, and I'm getting truly ticked, IT's either in front of her house where it's hard to get out of my drive, or parked on my side right up against my drive, also making it hard to get out. I am THISCLOSE to turning him in but maybe I'll leave a note on the car.

OP, wait till the reg expires and then call the cops.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,398,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks
Is that a hint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island