Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM

322 posts, read 934,118 times

Advertisements

Greetings, first time subscriber hoping to get some help on house hunting.

My wife and I were looking to buy a house in Babylon Village. We've rented in the village for over 3 years and wished to make it permanent.

So far, the only houses in our price range are in West Babylon, but still in the Babylon Village school district. This area is south of Sunrise Highway but east of Little East Neck Rd (Rte.109).

Now, I always thought that area was OK since it was near West Babylon Elementary, but I've read one or two posts saying this area is not very desireable. Granted, I've seen some houses with those steel gate-like storm doors, but they may simply be for decoration rather than security.

We would appreciate any feedback from local residents or people familiar with this area of West Babylon as we wish to decide if that area is worth investing in. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,112,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
Greetings, first time subscriber hoping to get some help on house hunting.

My wife and I were looking to buy a house in Babylon Village. We've rented in the village for over 3 years and wished to make it permanent.

So far, the only houses in our price range are in West Babylon, but still in the Babylon Village school district. This area is south of Sunrise Highway but east of Little East Neck Rd (Rte.109).

Now, I always thought that area was OK since it was near West Babylon Elementary, but I've read one or two posts saying this area is not very desireable. Granted, I've seen some houses with those steel gate-like storm doors, but they may simply be for decoration rather than security.

We would appreciate any feedback from local residents or people familiar with this area of West Babylon as we wish to decide if that area is worth investing in. Thanks.

That area is fine.

Its certaily on par with WB and you get the better schools.
Sounds like a good move.

Crooks

Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,565 times
I have owned in this area for nine years. I do not have steel bars on the windows or doors,nor do I feel the need. Three of my children have attended Babylon schools, so I am connected with the Babylon community. I am happy with the area. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM

453 posts, read 1,531,162 times
South of Sunrise is fine, very nice area. If you're referring to prior posts, the area of West Babylon that people are wary of is NORTH of the Southern State between Belmont Ave and Straight Path.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 AM

7 posts, read 15,700 times
There are several little motels in the area that house undesirables.Prostitutes and registered sex offenders. In 2005 there was a huge controversey about a motel where 17 sex offenders lived. Many of those news articles are still on the web. The gov't and the police are both lazy and don't care unless either they live there, or they have relatives living there. Every week we were getting a notice from the school district alerting us of another registered sex offender moving in. Why are there so many? The area is loaded with zoning violators, slumlord landlords who rent out to sect 8 welfare misfits. Absent landlords not living in these illegal apts don't care if they rent to drug addicts or sex offenders.Because they live far away themselves. You could do donuts(tire burn-outs) around and around a police car and they will pretend they don't see you. For thirty years (actually more than 30) they police and town gov't there has NOT been able to stop the dangerous car racing going on throughout the area.just excuses and excuses. I know what I'm talking about bc my family lived their since the 40s and I lived there for 12 years.
The town gov't will come after you ifyour grass is too high, but if there is a crack-house accross the streetor a home made into 3 illegal apts for illegal imigrants, they look the other way, and if you persist they tell you to move.

Last edited by DJ F CEE; 01-24-2010 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: