Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,233 times

Advertisements

Northport, East Northport, Centerport, Kings Park, Commack, Melville,
S. Huntington? Suppose that money is not an issue (so taxes are not an issue) but these are the only options. Suppose also that the buyer does not like commuting very much unless the difference in quality is tremendous, and that the buyer also does not want to be too close/directly parallel to neighbors (as commonly seen in Queens, Brooklyn and more urban Northshore/South Shore areas). Which of these areas would you recommend? Can you use three words that you think bext describe these areas? And which one is the least and most blue colar of these? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM

65 posts, read 161,234 times
I'm on the same boat actually. I don't know whether any of these areas are blue collar. or whether they are all white collar areas. I always thought of the South Shore as the blue collar areas, but I am not familiar with Long Island so...Centerport and Northport are a lot farther away than the other ones in terms of commute.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 PM

44 posts, read 178,198 times
The only area I would not recommend is S. Huntington. Melville,Commack, and Centerport are a little closer. These areas are North Shore, affuent,good shopping, and good schools. Homes tend to be farther apart than south shore.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,593,496 times
If you want easiest commute to GC/Jericho, wouldn't it make sense to go with the community that is farthest west??? Therefore Huntington Station makes the most sense....although when you are talking about HS, it's all about location, location, location.

I grew up in Huntington and commuted to Mineola when I first started working - about 35-40 via Jericho Tpke in rush hour traffic....could be better or worse now. Jericho would be an easy commute, via back roads.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,060,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl13 View Post
Northport, East Northport, Centerport, Kings Park, Commack, Melville,
S. Huntington? Suppose that money is not an issue (so taxes are not an issue) but these are the only options. Suppose also that the buyer does not like commuting very much unless the difference in quality is tremendous, and that the buyer also does not want to be too close/directly parallel to neighbors (as commonly seen in Queens, Brooklyn and more urban Northshore/South Shore areas). Which of these areas would you recommend? Can you use three words that you think bext describe these areas? And which one is the least and most blue colar of these? Thanks.
Tops (IMHO): Northport Not the easiest for commuting, but you have a charming, vibrant community, great village, with residents who care about what's going on. Lots of history here. SD is considered excellent. Definitely worth checking out, though not inexpensive.

Melville/So. Huntington are easiest for commuting purposes.

Centerport - definitely lovely, but terrain can be very hilly/steep; many properties are on the small side, comparatively speaking. Also not easy for commuting.

No real "blue collar" areas, but E. Northport and large parts of So. Huntington middle income "white collar" areas.

Commack and Kings Park are nice, but IMHO too far for commuting (and I commuted for decades).

Good luck in your search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 PM

65 posts, read 161,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Tops (IMHO): Northport Not the easiest for commuting, but you have a charming, vibrant community, great village, with residents who care about what's going on. Lots of history here. SD is considered excellent. Definitely worth checking out, though not inexpensive.

Melville/So. Huntington are easiest for commuting purposes.

Centerport - definitely lovely, but terrain can be very hilly/steep; many properties are on the small side, comparatively speaking. Also not easy for commuting.

No real "blue collar" areas, but E. Northport and large parts of So. Huntington middle income "white collar" areas.

Commack and Kings Park are nice, but IMHO too far for commuting (and I commuted for decades).

Good luck in your search
Hey Elke! Isn't Commack close to the highways though? And Kings Park is close to the Sunken Meadow Parkway, which supposidly doesn't have much traffic...or at least I heard.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 AM

9,923 posts, read 23,060,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalibu24 View Post
Hey Elke! Isn't Commack close to the highways though? And Kings Park is close to the Sunken Meadow Parkway, which supposidly doesn't have much traffic...or at least I heard.
True on both counts, chalibu - "commute" could mean driving or LIRR--in your case it's driving (if I remember correctly), but I don't know about the OP.
Different life style than Northport though. Northport taxes are on the lower end; Commack is decidedly not on the low end re taxes. Kings Park is nice, and often has more property, but is a far cry from Northport. JMHO

Spending a weekend in any given area will give you a bit of the flavor of the community and/or neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island