Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Ha Ha !! I did say "most" didn't I ? I do not want to talk about exceptions here, anyway.... When you began to highlight my reply, you left out the few last words from my complete sentence, I do not know abt Miller place (I guess its the best place on the planet ?? ) and neither know Massapequa, but as per my condition, if I'm looking to commute to Manhattan and if they both are the type of town I want to live in, I will choose Massapequa for sure, as you said people have different priorities, mine lies closer to home !
Peace !

But this thread is about Suffolk, and you ought to love what youre coming home to if youre going to work your butt off to have it.

Peace

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
But this thread is about Suffolk, and you ought to love what youre coming home to if youre going to work your butt off to have it.

Peace

Crooks
Yeah, but when I carefully read the OP's first post he was exploring living in Nassau as an alternative also, so I just thought I'll comment on that.
Don't get me wrong, I work in Suffolk, and I love living in Suffolk. If I were to work in Manhattan though..... very tough man.... I know I would do it if there was no choice, but I would rather avoid the time consuming commute. Melville is certainly doable though.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Yeah, but when I carefully read the OP's first post he was exploring living in Nassau as an alternative also, so I just thought I'll comment on that.
Don't get me wrong, I work in Suffolk, and I love living in Suffolk. If I were to work in Manhattan though..... very tough man.... I know I would do it if there was no choice, but I would rather avoid the time consuming commute. Melville is certainly doable though.
Who wouldnt?

If had to bear 69 min out of Ronkonkoma again... it wouldnt kill me.

Again, its not distance...its travel time.

All Im saying is if I was to get off the train after an hour and still be in the same congestion and noise I just left....Id want to jump in front of a train.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Who wouldnt?

If had to bear 69 min out of Ronkonkoma again... it wouldnt kill me.

Again, its not distance...its travel time.

All Im saying is if I was to get off the train after an hour and still be in the same congestion and noise I just left....Id want to jump in front of a train.

JMHO

Crooks
Yeah, I agree about the time part, but I have to say the minutes add up like crazy. To anyone who lives within 5 miles of Ronkonkoma Station, I would say roughly anticipate 85-90 mins atleast from door to Penn Station. Then add to it the time it takes you to get to your work from Penn Station. Do you know it could take you more than 5-6 mins in Peak time just to get out of Penn Station ?
It would still not kill you for sure. Its much better than my friend who takes 70 minutes and he lives just 4-5 miles from midtown.
Having said that, I have visited my friends in Nassau and I do not feel its as congested as NYC, its the same as many areas in Suffolk, if not better.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
It all depends on the individual.

Me, 15 years ago, I did it for three days a week, for just a few months, as a consultant for a law firm on 45th. From Deer Park into Penn Station on the LIRR, and then the subway up to 42nd.

I hated it. I mean, seriously, I couldn't STAND it. Liked the work, it was fun. But the travel time, and people crush, it was somehow depressing.

I'm a well mannered person. It doesn't come naturally to me to push in front of people to get a seat, or just push to get on the train in the first place, or be subjected to being pushed/shoved by others. With cell phones these days, I just can't imagine having any sanity left while commuting 5 days a week for even a few months.

Again, it all depends on the person.

You know what I'd suggest? Leave your place of work, get on the train and commute out to where you are thinking of living. When you get there, stop, have a bite to eat, visit a bookstore, that kind of thing. And turn around and go back. It's not an entirely great way to test it, but it will give you an idea of what you are up against. Do it at rush hour, when you'd normally leave work. Now, multiply by a thousand (four years of 5 days a week).

Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
Now, multiply by a thousand
ok, i will confess... that part made me a little sad

Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
ok, i will confess... that part made me a little sad
I didn't mean to Again, it all depends on the person. Some people actually enjoy the commute.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I know a few people who commute from Shelter Island to the city. I know of one person who commutes to Jersey from Shelter Island.
Crazy.

Takes me almost an hour to get to work everyday from West Nassau to mid-west Suffolk. Sometimes takes me an hour and a half to get home, depending on time of day and where I finish.
Ride in isn't bad, just boring. The ride home can be brutal sometimes though.
I'd commute to Florida every day if the money was worth it.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,755 times
Quote:
Great insight.

1:45 from Huntington?
(I though it was an hour ish per this board?)

2.5 from Mt Sinai seems awfully long unless you left from PJ.
(1.30-1.45 out of Ronkonkoma I would think?)

Did you walk from Penn to Times Sq?

Do you miss Cedar Beach?
Its pretty nice.

Crooks
1:45 from Huntington is door to door. 10-15 minutes from the Harbor to the station... 5-10 minute wait for train... 62-68 minutes on train to penn 15- 20 minutes to the downtown office in SoHo/Tribeca.

2.5 from Mt Sinai was 20-30 minutes from cedar beach to Ronkonkoma. 10 minute wait for train, 80 minutes on train (bring it down to just over an hour if you hit the express - which I never did) and another 15- 20 minutes to the office. If I had phenomental "train karma" I could get it down to 2 hrs...

That said, the beach was AWESOME and a great way to recharge batteries. I was young, single and had a 2 bedroom beach cottage for under 900 a month. Over 10 years ago...

Here are the tips to make it livable:
1) be friendly... to everybody. Don't shove pregnant ladies and give them your seat on the subway. Don't make it obvious that it's because they're pregnant because sometimes you find out they're not and they are insulted.
2) Yes, cell phones are SUPER annoying. Listen to your Ipod, or at least have it at the ready in case some idiot needs to scream on their cell phone. (If you really can't take it anymore ask them politely to lower their voice, most people are just clueless. If they REALLY won't shut up, take out your phone and scream their exact conversation into your phone right after they say it. when they ask you what your problem is, just say "Annoying, isn't it?"

Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
1:45 from Huntington is door to door. 10-15 minutes from the Harbor to the station... 5-10 minute wait for train... 62-68 minutes on train to penn 15- 20 minutes to the downtown office in SoHo/Tribeca.

2.5 from Mt Sinai was 20-30 minutes from cedar beach to Ronkonkoma. 10 minute wait for train, 80 minutes on train (bring it down to just over an hour if you hit the express - which I never did) and another 15- 20 minutes to the office. If I had phenomental "train karma" I could get it down to 2 hrs...

That said, the beach was AWESOME and a great way to recharge batteries. I was young, single and had a 2 bedroom beach cottage for under 900 a month. Over 10 years ago...

Here are the tips to make it livable:
1) be friendly... to everybody. Don't shove pregnant ladies and give them your seat on the subway. Don't make it obvious that it's because they're pregnant because sometimes you find out they're not and they are insulted.
2) Yes, cell phones are SUPER annoying. Listen to your Ipod, or at least have it at the ready in case some idiot needs to scream on their cell phone. (If you really can't take it anymore ask them politely to lower their voice, most people are just clueless. If they REALLY won't shut up, take out your phone and scream their exact conversation into your phone right after they say it. when they ask you what your problem is, just say "Annoying, isn't it?"
Gotcha

Thanks

Peace

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island