U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM

13,916 posts, read 16,553,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ahem...Townie

JK OBH is the best 3V resource on the board.

Id DM her.

Crooks
LOL @ Townie...I was going to write that, but I am still trying to come to terms with the term!

Thank you for the compliment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,117,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LOL @ Townie...I was going to write that, but I am still trying to come to terms with the term!

Thank you for the compliment

LOL!

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM

175 posts, read 462,593 times
Again, 3V is a great area. But it doesn't have anything that a lot of other areas don't have. Statistically, or by any measure except some science contest that impacts less than 1% of kids in the school, there are many districts ranked higher. In Western Suffolk you have Half Hollow Hills, Harborfields, Cold Spring Harbor just to name a few. In Nassau you can basically throw a stone and hit a school district with overall stats and rankings equal to or better than 3V. It's a fact.

BTW,there are many things that impact how well your kid does in school, and parental involvement is a big one. Having your parent(s) home at 9pm every night doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM

13,916 posts, read 16,553,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Again, 3V is a great area. But it doesn't have anything that a lot of other areas don't have. Statistically, or by any measure except some science contest that impacts less than 1% of kids in the school, there are many districts ranked higher. In Western Suffolk you have Half Hollow Hills, Harborfields, Cold Spring Harbor just to name a few. In Nassau you can basically throw a stone and hit a school district with overall stats and rankings equal to or better than 3V. It's a fact.

BTW,there are many things that impact how well your kid does in school, and parental involvement is a big one. Having your parent(s) home at 9pm every night doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Amazingly enough, there are plenty of SAHMs in the 3V. Perhaps it is because some of the real estate here is more reasonably priced than in some of the aforementioned areas? My friends in CSH are both working full time, and bringing work home with them. If they are home at 7 PM, but still hammering away at their files, they're no better than the parent who is actually at the office.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM

I'm talking specifically about the poster here, commuting from NYC. If you are working in Hauppauge or something it's a different story. From 3 Village to NYC is going to be 2 hours MINIMUM door to door, probably more, each way. That's tough on everyone.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post

I think you mean top 1%?
; )

Listen, those are all very good/outstanding districts but 3V owns Intel and its tops for Science.

Keep in mind none of those towns offer the University backdrop of SUNY SB.
Like you said, there are many things that impact how well your kid does in school. When your neighboring parents are University professors,Doctors and Scientists, it sure doesent hurt.Its a wonderful academic and cultural community.

Is the commute longer than some? Sure.
Is it doable? Absolutely.

Go stand on a platform in Ronkonkoma and ask people where theyre coming from ...and why.
(BTW Express to Penn ....69 Min)

Getting back to OP, is 3V worth the extra 40 min?
As alumni, for the reasons he listed, Id say so.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-22-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
As my fiance and I are closing in on finding a house.. we feel reasonably sure that Syosset is a great fit.
However, we've done research on the Stonybrook/East Setauket area.

The "Intellectually Gifted" program is particularly appealing. Of course, our future children may not be gifted but I guess since both me and my fiance have gone through gifted programs in our respective areas that it's not a completely unsubstantiated assumption.

It also seems that Stonybrook is decently cheaper to live in than Syosset. We visited the Three Village area today and a lot about it feels right. We want our children to live in an environment where they aren't afraid to use their minds AND develop socially. Since it's right near SUNY Stonybrook, it seems to be a relatively intellectual area. The school district also seems to have pretty good athletic programs and the area is right by the Long Island Sound.

The biggest downside though is the commute.
It's a lot longer than that of Syosset...but it's not intolerably long.
Is the commute worth it?
I really haven't found any other area like Stonybrook/East Setauket yet though. We weren't really considering going out east but the area seems to be a good fit for us- better than Syosset.

My question is, from what people know of the Three Village area, is the 2-hour commute worth it?

Precisely

Crooks

Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 PM

70 minutes from Ronkonkoma means 2 hours door to door, which is what I said. And that's assuming you work near Penn.

Again, whether or not 3V is a great school district isn't the issue. Of course it is. Is it the best on Long Island? No. Is it the best in Suffolk? Not by any stats or rankings that I've ever seen. I'm not saying it isn't a good district, it is. It just isn't the best, and for that kind of commute it should be.

The Intel thing is a terrible measure of anything. It impacts a very few kids, kids that usually have parents who are Physics professors at Stony Brook or whatever. 1% is off, it's more like POINT 1 percent. Over the past 2 years, Port Washington has had more intel finalists than any school in Nassau. So is Port Washington the best school in Nassau? No, the sample of 2 or 3 kids out of a few thousand in the school is so small as to be meaningless.

Overall, when you look at Math, English and yes, SCIENCE scores for the entire district there are many, many other schools at or above that level. Do you have more kids with college profs for parents in 3V than many other districts? Almost definitely. But the other districts have more parents that are working on Wall Street or are lawyers or physicians or work in software or one of many other "successful" fields.

The New York Times has several other districts in Suffolk ahead of 3V overall and EVEN FOR SCIENCE ALONE. Schooldigger has TEN (!) other districts just in Suffolk ranked ahead of 3V. But I guess you know better. For me, I'm not commuting 2+ hours each way to live in a district that is borderline Top 10 according to the rankings. Syosset is a better choice. Jericho is a better choice. Harborfields and Half Hollow Hills are better choices. Garden City and East Williston are better choices. Heck, if you're going for that kind of commute, Port Jeff might even be a better choice.

Last edited by PizzaPedro; 11-23-2009 at 12:03 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 AM

263 posts, read 524,638 times
Thanks for all the advice!

Where I'm working is fairly close to Penn Station... the 3V to Ronkonkoma to Penn Station seems very doable. The commute will only take about 2 hours and 10 minutes on average. From West Hills, we are averaging 90-100 minutes right now.

I know this is also not saying much, in terms of school districts, but I know that in Suffolk County.. Ward Melville was the school to own all of the math/science competitions when I was in high school. It's not only that the school has a lot of math geniuses.. it's that the district seems very good at tapping into the skills of those geniuses and making them phenomenal. On the other hand, using that argument, I might as well stay in West Hills, send my kids to LISG (if they can get in), and then have them go through the South Huntington school district from 9th to 12th grade...from my understanding, the district has gone downhill since the days I attended too.

Ward Melville seems to produce a lot of highly competent students. 3V is a large school district and is likely more economically diverse than a lot of other higher ranked districts.. but from people I know who go there, WM definitely produces fantastic results for those who are willing to learn. It's not much of a 'hand-holding' district though and that's fine for me.. probably because I went to Whitman where a lot of my classmates would have probably benefited from even the slightest bit of handholding but I managed to do a-ok!

It's also as simple as the fact that Stonybrook is a really appealing area to me and my fiance.
We may not move there but much of the comments seem to indicate that it's doable. It's not like living in the Hamptons and working in the city. Also another appealing factor is we seem to get more bang for our buck on houses. I can get a .5+ acre property for $500K here while that seems near impossible in a place like Syosset. Also, my fiance already has plans to take some time off (or at the very least, stop working in the city) when we actually have children..

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM

342 posts, read 629,711 times
Are you both commuting into NYC? With kids? If you have children or are going to have children, and still both work, you will want to work closer than 2 hours away. Daycare calls, your child is sick, come get them. Ok, I'll be their in 2 hours? Not good. Teacher conference? 2 hours. 1/2 days at school? 2 hours. If you intend on being a SAHM when your children are born, then it's doable. 2 working parents with both of them working 2 hours away? No Way. I'm speaking as a parent of 3 - this is not a reasonable lifestyle for you or your children (future or otherwise). I guess, unless you are going to get a full time nanny. I don't think the full time nanny life style is prevalant in 3V. Maybe some, but not alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island