U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 PM

37 posts, read 59,804 times
I have to chime in as a lifelong NYer (50 years myself and 60 years husband). I found citi data while looking for info on--gasp-NC. Made the move 1 1/2 years ago and love it. I guess I was somewhat struggling in NY, we did sell our home for $500,000 and it wasn't mortgaged to the hilt. I was definitely in better shape than most people. But taxes and other cost of living was just getting out of hand. Was able to buy a 4 bedroom new home in great neighborhood with pool, etc. for 253,000. I live in the Cary/Apex area (know all the jokes about Cary but it is the 16th safest town in America!) Own home outright so had nice equity from house in NY plus a little reserve left over. We still have somewhat young kids, 3 going to college in a few short years. I just looked down the road and saw nothing to look forward to. We wouldn't be able to retire there with taxes already over $12,000 and creeping up every year. I am thrilled we made the move. My kids love it here, and are doing great in school. I am a teacher (worked in private school on LI--dont get me started about nepotism for public school teacher jobs-that's another story) and actually make more down here. Taxes are $2,200 a year, homeowners is about $500 (with a million dollar umbrella policy, and car insurance is much less). My husbands cousin moved about 2 months after us and we giggle when the tax bill comes. It is less than 1 month of mortgage on LI. The city is great if you can afford it. My father grew up in the city and we went to shows, dinner, etc. all the time growing up. Try taking 3 kids to the Christmas show and pay a small mortgage doing it. I was definitely someone who thought no other life existed. But it is so worthwhile to move out of your comfort zone.

Life is what you make of it. LI does not hold anything special that other places don't have. If you stay because of a great job and family, I can understand, but luckily my family is about to make the move. First came my parents (a city boy) and they love the lifestyle. Can't believe the cost of living and weather. As a teacher we did have a pay freeze this year and although we would have loved a raise, most people are thrilled to have a job. Imagine that in NY. My homeowners is also going down this next year ($5 a month), not alot but it shows that people are trying to cut taxes and costs and are more than happy to cut when they can. So convince yourselves that others move due to struggling (and maybe so), but what's wrong with wanting more out of life. I'm not sure at the end of the road struggling is what you think of as a means of enjoying life. I'm not saying NC is for everyone, but I am so happy my kids know another lifestyle. They can go back to NY one day or anywhere else, I'm glad I gave them a different view.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM

4,999 posts, read 4,458,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
There are numerous turnaround tarheels on this board, the ones who could afford to return. Then there's the other camp who are too embarrassed to admit the move was a failure and yet another who love it and will never return. I'm relatively confident that the high price of LI RE illustrates a very healthy demand to live here.

Please don't ever say co-in-kee-dink on this board again.
; )
Crooks
What you need to admit is that things are changing - and not for the better... You seem very wrapped up in this "afford" thing. It gives the impression that you feel anyone who could "afford LI" would choose to live here and that's not accurate IMO.

I moved back from NC and understand very well how certain circumstances lead to a turnaround. It's not an embarrassment for me any more then trying any new town that didn't work out. Family/friends is the x-factor that more often then not is the issue - it was for my wife. Yes, we moved back because we could "afford" to, but that wasn't the reason.

I won't argue that there's demand for RE here... It's just different and I don't see how one could look around and think things are the same or better here over the past 10 years. Everything is getting pushed to the bottom or the top.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,050,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo55 View Post
I have to chime in as a lifelong NYer (50 years myself and 60 years husband). I found citi data while looking for info on--gasp-NC. Made the move 1 1/2 years ago and love it. I guess I was somewhat struggling in NY, we did sell our home for $500,000 and it wasn't mortgaged to the hilt. I was definitely in better shape than most people. But taxes and other cost of living was just getting out of hand. Was able to buy a 4 bedroom new home in great neighborhood with pool, etc. for 253,000. I live in the Cary/Apex area (know all the jokes about Cary but it is the 16th safest town in America!) Own home outright so had nice equity from house in NY plus a little reserve left over. We still have somewhat young kids, 3 going to college in a few short years. I just looked down the road and saw nothing to look forward to. We wouldn't be able to retire there with taxes already over $12,000 and creeping up every year. I am thrilled we made the move. My kids love it here, and are doing great in school. I am a teacher (worked in private school on LI--dont get me started about nepotism for public school teacher jobs-that's another story) and actually make more down here. Taxes are $2,200 a year, homeowners is about $500 (with a million dollar umbrella policy, and car insurance is much less). My husbands cousin moved about 2 months after us and we giggle when the tax bill comes. It is less than 1 month of mortgage on LI. The city is great if you can afford it. My father grew up in the city and we went to shows, dinner, etc. all the time growing up. Try taking 3 kids to the Christmas show and pay a small mortgage doing it. I was definitely someone who thought no other life existed. But it is so worthwhile to move out of your comfort zone.

Life is what you make of it. LI does not hold anything special that other places don't have. If you stay because of a great job and family, I can understand, but luckily my family is about to make the move. First came my parents (a city boy) and they love the lifestyle. Can't believe the cost of living and weather. As a teacher we did have a pay freeze this year and although we would have loved a raise, most people are thrilled to have a job. Imagine that in NY. My homeowners is also going down this next year ($5 a month), not alot but it shows that people are trying to cut taxes and costs and are more than happy to cut when they can. So convince yourselves that others move due to struggling (and maybe so), but what's wrong with wanting more out of life. I'm not sure at the end of the road struggling is what you think of as a means of enjoying life. I'm not saying NC is for everyone, but I am so happy my kids know another lifestyle. They can go back to NY one day or anywhere else, I'm glad I gave them a different view.
Outstanding! LI'ers are in denial that the grass certainly is greener in many other places.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What you need to admit is that things are changing - and not for the better... You seem very wrapped up in this "afford" thing. It gives the impression that you feel anyone who could "afford LI" would choose to live here and that's not accurate IMO.

I moved back from NC and understand very well how certain circumstances lead to a turnaround. It's not an embarrassment for me any more then trying any new town that didn't work out. Family/friends is the x-factor that more often then not is the issue - it was for my wife. Yes, we moved back because we could "afford" to, but that wasn't the reason.

I won't argue that there's demand for RE here... It's just different and I don't see how one could look around and think things are the same or better here over the past 10 years. Everything is getting pushed to the bottom or the top.

Perhaps, but Im sure theres plenty of Tarheels who would say the same thing about the "Yankee invasion" over their last 10 years as well.

There is no Time Machine.

Sorry your NC experiment failed, youre not alone.

Welcome home.

Crooks

Old 11-30-2009, 07:43 AM

76 posts, read 102,296 times
I don't understand why so many people that move away go to NC. I mean, statistically speaking, what are the odds that so many former-LI'ers would end up there. Why not an even amount spread all over- California, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Maine, etc. you get the picture.

Isn't the "follow the herd" mentality something that people dislike about LI in the first place?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 AM

7,224 posts, read 7,097,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
I don't understand why so many people that move away go to NC. I mean, statistically speaking, what are the odds that so many former-LI'ers would end up there. Why not an even amount spread all over- California, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Maine, etc. you get the picture.

Isn't the "follow the herd" mentality something that people dislike about LI in the first place?
No I think LI'ers in general love to follow the herd, they just don't want to have to pay as much for it. They can bring their Infiniti G35 or Escalade and hair gel with them to NC and get bumper stickers that say "still a NY'er" and watch MMA on PPV.

They don't want to change their lifestyle, they want the same lifestyle for less money.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No I think LI'ers in general love to follow the herd, they just don't want to have to pay as much for it. They can bring their Infiniti G35 or Escalade and hair gel with them to NC and get bumper stickers that say "still a NY'er" and watch MMA on PPV.

They don't want to change their lifestyle, they want the same lifestyle for less money.

OMG those poor homesick bastards.

Should we start a telethon to send them some Axe body spray, wifebeater Ts and Yankee caps?

Crooks

Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM

718 posts, read 1,938,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post

We made the move to NC 7 years ago and didn't follow the herd. We moved before Money Magazine rated Cary as the #1 place to live. Anyhoo, we picked NC because of weather (change of season, but still mild in the winter), good schools, educated people, job opportunities in hubbies field, cost of living, and drivability back to LI to visit family and friends(no need to fly). For us it was the complete package. At the time we could live anywhere in the country. We knew we wanted to stay on the east coast and started our search with Florida on up the coast. We stopped in NC because it had everything we were looking for.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,261,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
We made the move to NC 7 years ago and didn't follow the herd. We moved before Money Magazine rated Cary as the #1 place to live. Anyhoo, we picked NC because of weather (change of season, but still mild in the winter), good schools, educated people, job opportunities in hubbies field, cost of living, and drivability back to LI to visit family and friends(no need to fly). For us it was the complete package. At the time we could live anywhere in the country. We knew we wanted to stay on the east coast and started our search with Florida on up the coast. We stopped in NC because it had everything we were looking for.
Ditto

But we ended up in Central Va. The school system in Wake County was in shambles, when I was looking in the Cary area. It was nice having my 3 kids off at the same time for 10 weeks in the summer I love it here

Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM

953 posts, read 1,303,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Big difference is that in these areas when there isn't enough money to cover the expenses - they put out a budget freeze. My sister is a teacher in NC - guess what, she's not getting a raise this year. And guess what else - no one is complaining. The people don't like the bussing situation down there. Guess what? The voters voted out the entire school board this year and voted in a slate of board members who are opposed to bussing, which means that situation is going to stop. People are actually paying attention and doing something about problems before they grow. Pretty amazing for a bunch of toothless country bumpkins.

They also just run things completely differently down there. No illegal rentals. Landlords must file with their county, so if there is trouble with the rental the cops and towns know whom to call. This also gives the neighbors of these rentals enormous power...problem with the renters? All the neighbors have to do it go online, find out the landlord, and file a complaint. Ever think that'll happen in LI? They aren't even collecting the proper taxes from these slumlords.

There are reasons these places become meccas. IT's because NY and Li more specifically are run like crap, and people are sick of it.
Because states like NY are run by liberal union interests. States like NC are primarily run by more conservative and fiscally sound interests. Therein lies the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island