Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,424 times

Advertisements

I live south of Montauk in Lindenhurst village, and there are many things I love about my location - my really nice next door neighbors, community feel, walks to the canal/marina in the summer, Venetian shores, the nearly constant ocean breeze, a walk to town if I need something.

However, there is one constant thorn in my side about my area, which makes me want to save up and get the hell out - occasional "walk throughs" who appear to be unkempt shady adults and are seemingly wondering around my neighborhood (possibly en route to town and/or the marina area). Last week, I had a very drunk woman in her late 40s walk up to me and ask for change while I was sitting getting into my car in front of my house. I've got young kids, and this sort of thing makes me worry about my family when I am not home.

I've been here for 4 years, so I can't tell if this problem is a remnant of Lindenhurst's past or a glimpse into it's future. The town seems to have this problem as well.

Does this annoy anyone else? What can be done about this problem to make Lindenhurst a better place for all? Can we work with the village on this? Or do I just need to bail on Lindy?

(I suspect that closing the "Lindenhurst Motel" on Montauk might be a start. They apparently provide long-term housing to this population.) Also, I am glad that they closed "Joe's place" on Montauk (replaced by the gas station on Montauk and wellwood), which was appeared to be a gathering spot for the same people.

Last edited by bornnraisedli; 11-28-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnraisedli View Post
... there are many things I love about my location ... Venetian shores ...
In case you were not aware, Venetian Shores is in West Babylon ("Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address).

Old 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
A drunk woman asked you for change ??? If you are S of Montauk Hwy in Lindenhurst, count your blessings & be thankful YOU are not asking for spare change. Do not forget, Lindenhust is not exactly Lloyd Harbor so on occasion, u will have to deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnraisedli View Post
I live south of Montauk in Lindenhurst village, and there are many things I love about my location - my really nice next door neighbors, community feel, walks to the canal/marina in the summer, Venetian shores, the nearly constant ocean breeze, a walk to town if I need something.

However, there is one constant thorn in my side about my area, which makes me want to save up and get the hell out - occasional "walk throughs" who appear to be unkempt shady adults and are seemingly wondering around my neighborhood (possibly en route to town and/or the marina area). Last week, I had a very drunk woman in her late 40s walk up to me and ask for change while I was sitting getting into my car in front of my house. I've got young kids, and this sort of thing makes me worry about my family when I am not home.

I've been here for 4 years, so I can't tell if this problem is a remnant of Lindenhurst's past or a glimpse into it's future. The town seems to have this problem as well.

Does this annoy anyone else? What can be done about this problem to make Lindenhurst a better place for all? Can we work with the village on this? Or do I just need to bail on Lindy?

(I suspect that closing the "Lindenhurst Motel" on Montauk might be a start. They apparently provide long-term housing to this population.) Also, I am glad that they closed "Joe's place" on Montauk (replaced by the gas station on Montauk and wellwood), which was appeared to be a gathering spot for the same people.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:30 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
There is no Mayberry on LI anymore.
As long as there are no bullets flying on a regular basis, consider it a safe neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Any halfway houses around there? Where are they coming from? That would upset me too. I don't blame you one bit. Who wants strange people mulling around your house, startling you while in your car, passing your home, etc? No one feel safe with random foot traffic on a supposedly residental block.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM

138 posts, read 491,825 times
i'm in Lindy, near town, north of Montauk, and we really haven't had any similar issues.

We feel very safe, actually (except for those raccoons !)

maybe it depends on if your block is a convienent thru way.

I was in town wednesday before thanksgiving - getting haircut, going to the bakery, etc - and was very pleased with the atmosphere. New Italian resturant coming in, to.
Tree lighting 'ceremony' this weekend !
good clean fun.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Default hmm

I used to live in lindenhurst and my parents still do as many of my friends (i cant afford to live there).

This is not a problem in lindenhurst? Have you tried calling the village about this? the polcie? Code enforcement?

This is not typical of lindenhurst.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 PM

43 posts, read 100,534 times
I just moved out of Lindenhurst after living there for 16 years. I never had any problems, but I do know what you are talking about. I blame it all on the amount of bars in the area. If only more restaurants would open, I think there would be some hope for the area. Too many bars, and very little police patrols could attract the wrong kind of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island